Where In The Philippines Are You?

MikeB
Posted
Posted

They've announced plans to build a new regional hospital In Argao in the area of the new CEBECO office, away from the highway. There's a new Metrobank branch next to Prince's that was just opened and a ChinaBank branch opening on the highway in the middle of town in a few months. Lots of changes coming.

• Like 2

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

ChinaBank branch opening on the highway in the middle of town in a few months. Lots of changes coming.

:hystery:  :hystery:  So! they will soon need, a Ring Road :rolleyes:

:tiphat:

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted

Well the wife is from Barangay San Dionisio, Paranaque, on the out skirts of Metro Manila, which is the old down town part of the city. Five minute walk to the palenki, wet market, 7-11, bakery, dentist just about anything I can think of. And for serious shopping 10 minutes drive (yes I drive in Manila, really not that bad) to a shoemart, 15 to waltermart, 20  Mall of asia. Yep big city, dirty, noisy, traffic and I love it lolol. But the big reason for this spot is that the wife was raised here. She followed me for 20 years in the army, now its my turn. She inherited the house she was raised in, so we tore that down and built a new house to our specs. Both Parents have passed, both brothers are professionals in their own line of work with grown kids. So I don't have the "give us money" head ache. All the wife's friends, batch mates, ex coworkers are near so she is happy. When city does get to much, off we go to the province to do some sight seeing and stay at various resorts. I am sure I am sure I am in the minority but province life is a bit rustic for me.

• Like 4

Americano
Posted
Posted

The plan is to move Carcar's market to an area which is just a short distance North of the Gaisano. Work is being done on the land to get it ready. It was a low land rice field so it didn't seem like the ideal place for the market but I guess the Mayor owns it so that's where its going. Will take a lot of dirt to get the ground high enough. When finished this should help alleviate some of the traffic in the center of town.

For the past couple of years road work has been going on that most passers through probably haven't seen. In the USA it would be called a bypass because it allows you to bypass the town.  In Carcar they are calling it the diversion road. All traffic going North or South will be able to bypass the town. I haven't heard the expected completion date but much of it is already finished. I have ridden on some of it a few times.

Malcolm Graham
Posted
Posted

Sorry, I'm with Jack on this issue.. I love Negros.  I've spent a lot of time in Manila; spinning it as a London or Paris to understand the country as a whole is so far off the mark it makes me laugh, hard, a lot.  Get out in the provinces and then you'll understand the Philippines - well as much as we can as Kanos.   

I've only lived here 16 months so what I'm going to write cannot be classed as a full in-depth study.  You love negros so living there you understand the people from that area not the people of the Philippines.  As NCR has well over 10% of the population of the Philippines they all come from different provinces. I visit Pasay 3 days a week, near PureGold Libertad to be exact.  The people living there come from Pasay, Laguna, Batangas and since Yolanda Taclibaran.  I only stay 3 days a week as the CR facilities are primitive to say the least.  So currently I'm in Imus which has everything I need and is close enough to visit each week.  Scott said some good things the main one being that is where his wife is happiest.  That is the important point you can live anywhere as long as your wife is happy.  To also say go to London or Paris to understand the country is also laughable.  One for Jack maybe its easier to handle the poverty in the provinces as it isn't so in your face as it is in Manila.  But at least in Manila when the street kids are trying to rob you they are talking to you in English  :)

• Like 4

MikeB
Posted
Posted
The plan is to move Carcar's market to an area which is just a short distance North of the Gaisano. Work is being done on the land to get it ready. It was a low land rice field so it didn't seem like the ideal place for the market but I guess the Mayor owns it so that's where its going. Will take a lot of dirt to get the ground high enough. When finished this should help alleviate some of the traffic in the center of town.

Where are they putting the new Gaisano Metro? They already announced that a few months ago with a completion date of late this year. I had heard it was going in the same area north of the existing Gaisano "Grande".

For the past couple of years road work has been going on that most passers through probably haven't seen. In the USA it would be called a bypass because it allows you to bypass the town.  In Carcar they are calling it the diversion road. All traffic going North or South will be able to bypass the town.

Getting the non-local traffic off the main road would alleviate a lot of the problem.

Jake
Posted
Posted (edited)

Sorry, I'm with Jack on this issue.. I love Negros.  I've spent a lot of time in Manila; spinning it as a London or Paris to understand the country as a whole is so far off the mark it makes me laugh, hard, a lot.  Get out in the provinces and then you'll understand the Philippines - well as much as we can as Kanos.   

I've only lived here 16 months so what I'm going to write cannot be classed as a full in-depth study.  You love negros so living there you understand the people from that area not the people of the Philippines.  As NCR has well over 10% of the population of the Philippines they all come from different provinces. I visit Pasay 3 days a week, near PureGold Libertad to be exact.  The people living there come from Pasay, Laguna, Batangas and since Yolanda Taclibaran.  I only stay 3 days a week as the CR facilities are primitive to say the least.  So currently I'm in Imus which has everything I need and is close enough to visit each week.  Scott said some good things the main one being that is where his wife is happiest.  That is the important point you can live anywhere as long as your wife is happy.  To also say go to London or Paris to understand the country is also laughable.  One for Jack maybe its easier to handle the poverty in the provinces as it isn't so in your face as it is in Manila.  But at least in Manila when the street kids are trying to rob you they are talking to you in English  :)

Hey Malcolm,

That was definitely a street level observation about Manila.  Ever since Mt Pinatubo (1991) millions of displaced

people are still populating the slums of Manila.  It's easy money with easy victims (tourists) to prey on.  

The more I read about Earthdome's experiences living in Baguio, I would go there in a heart beat.  A close second

would be inside the formal Subic Bay Naval base, where OMW and JON1 resides in those formal but upgraded units

that were occupied by US military officers and their family.   

Respectfully -- Jake

Edited by Jake
  • Like 2

MacBubba
Posted
Posted
Well the wife is from Barangay San Dionisio, Paranaque, on the out skirts of Metro Manila, which is the old down town part of the city. Five minute walk to the palenki, wet market, 7-11, bakery, dentist just about anything I can think of. And for serious shopping 10 minutes drive (yes I drive in Manila, really not that bad) to a shoemart, 15 to waltermart, 20 Mall of asia. Yep big city, dirty, noisy, traffic and I love it lolol. But the big reason for this spot is that the wife was raised here. She followed me for 20 years in the army, now its my turn. She inherited the house she was raised in, so we tore that down and built a new house to our specs. Both Parents have passed, both brothers are professionals in their own line of work with grown kids. So I don't have the "give us money" head ache. All the wife's friends, batch mates, ex coworkers are near so she is happy. When city does get to much, off we go to the province to do some sight seeing and stay at various resorts. I am sure I am sure I am in the minority but province life is a bit rustic for me.

Like your wife, mine was also raised in Metro Manila (Eastwood mostly, but with roots in Pasay).  When we feel the urge, we will certainly visit without hesitation.  (Their ancestral home is actually walking distance from MOA.)

As I may have mentioned before, she has no family in Marinduque.  We picked it for its safety and idyllic setting.  However, should the years prove us wrong and we find Marinduque too rural, we would have no qualms about using it as a vacation home and taking up residence in Manila.  Her family and friends would certainly be thrilled - and we still have land to build on both in Eastwood and Pasay.

• Like 2

the_whipster
Posted
Posted

Well the wife is from Barangay San Dionisio, Paranaque, on the out skirts of Metro Manila, which is the old down town part of the city.

if I had to choose one of Metro Manila's 16 cities to get shot dead by a firing squad given a choice in the morning, it would be that one, Paranaque. Small, but old school.

Jake
Posted
Posted

Well the wife is from Barangay San Dionisio, Paranaque, on the out skirts of Metro Manila, which is the old down town part of the city.

if I had to choose one of Metro Manila's 16 cities to get shot dead by a firing squad given a choice in the morning, it would be that one, Paranaque. Small, but old school.

Huh?  I don't get it.  Are you talking about a group of rogue cops (firing squad) or more realistically, a motorcyclist(s) riding

in tandem, on a salvage mission of foreigners?