Jollibee Salaries

JJReyes
Posted
Posted (edited)

Wages paid to employees at a fast food outlet will be difficult to pinpoint because it depends on the location and expenses. We notice that prices for Starbucks, Burger King, etc. at airport locations are much higher because of the concessionaire fees charged. It is also a captive market. Once you check-in and pass through security, you can't leave the area. I don't know if employees receive higher compensation.

Some chains prefer a one price policy irregardless of location. An example is Cracker Barrel. We talked to a manager. He mentioned that it would be difficult to open restaurants in California. Wages are much higher and other state requirements would mean California restaurants would have to charge higher prices than Kentucky or Georgia. This would be against company policy.

Jollibee is in a highly competitive business. I don't think they can afford to pay much higher wages than McDonalds because it would affect their menu prices.

One business that is successful in paying higher wages is Costco where the average annual pay for employees is above $60,000. Their business strategy is employee loyalty because if they left, it would be difficult to find a comparable pay for a similar position. The company saves on the cost of having to continually train new employees. While it is not mentioned, employee pilferage is likewise reduced because employees fear getting fired from a well paying job. Besides, happy employees means better customer service.

Edited by JJReyes
  • Like 3

FlyAway
Posted
Posted

Something else to take into consideration is it being a "Franchised" business. It is ultimately up to the owners how much they want to pay their workers. Based on minimum wage laws I would assume.

A corporation that owns several restaurants may not be as generous as a single owner that treats their workers like family.

• Like 1

FlyAway
Posted
Posted

and if anyone wants to own their own Jolibee. Quick search found this.

http://www.startupbizhub.com/how-much-is-jollibee-franchise.htm

Jollibee opened its doors to the franchising world in 1978 and has since been helping entrepreneurs all over the world establish financial independence and freedom. Many people opt to establish their own businesses yet they cannot afford to take a risk on doing it by themselves without any prior knowledge or experience that is why franchises serve as the best option towards gearing entrepreneurs into building their own successful business. The overall franchise expense comes inclusive of training in terms of management and operation.

To apply for a Jollibee franchise one must have good community standing, strong leadership and people handling skills, the willingness to devote time in managing the restaurant and the ability to successfully complete the required training program. Though having managerial background and prior experience is not a pre requisite to apply for the franchise it is however an advantage. Therefore if you have little to no knowledge with the basics of managing a restaurant business then it would be best to take classes, do your own research or evaluate existing businesses. You may even get an idea of marketing strategies and ideal business models that they utilize and use the outcomes and effects to your advantage and review.

The initial steps include the downloading and filling up of the franchise application form which is available at the company website. Fill out the form completely and prepare a proposal for application which should include the following documents: The Letter of intent, which will contain the exact address of the proposed site as well as your contact number and mailing address, The vicinity map of the proposed site which will guide the Jollibee field personnel who will make the trip there for the on site evaluation, Legal documents certifying ownership of the site and a detailed resume or bio data. These documents along with the application may either be directly brought in or mailed to the Jollibee main branch in Pasig City.

Processing takes around 2 to 3 months upon receipt of the application and does not necessarily secure you as a franchise owner rather is just an initial step in the application process. The support team has yet to evaluate the proposed location before making any approval. The franchise fee for the Jollibee franchise ranges from around 15 million to 30 million pesos which is roughly $266,455 to $532,890, the details of which will be discussed with you in person once you have been approved of your application. The training takes place both at the headquarters and main branch as well as on site once your establishment has been built and is fully stocked and ready for operation.

• Like 1

sandwichmaker
Posted
Posted (edited)

My wife Nesa worked in Jollibees for 3 months, She was paid fortnightly at approximately 3,200p if she worked overtime, That is 6,400p per month including the overtime, That is a long way short of 80p per hour, she was given free lunch which was a hotdog pattie and shanghai roll, If the staff wanted Chicken or other type of food it was deducted from her salary, only free drink was water.

80p for a trainee sounds more like a days pay to me, definitely not per hour., 6 days a week = over 15,000 per month,,,,I dont think so

Yep. Just to put some of the dreamers into context.

Wages of people i have gotten to know WELL:

A bakeshop girl in Lahug Cebu, Julie's Bakeshop gets paid 200/ D.A.Y. yes per day, for 12 hours. That's last checked with her 10 months ago. That's high already and probably hasn't changed, even though it falls short of Cebu minimum wage. 

All wages in this post are per day.

In Iligan, a poorer city, my other friend was paid a mere 120 per day also in a bakeshop. Also 12 hours. She felt exploited so managed after a few months to get a job in the gaisano mall in Iligan, at a cell phone accessories booth for 150 per day. Again very long hours. These ppl often feel no choice because they would go hungry without the job. 

In Camiguin, the bottom level staff at the clam sanctuary get 2,000 per month. That's 64 pesos per day plus room and rice. The girl who talks to tourists and has some knowledge gets 120 per day - 4,000 per month or thereabouts. 

A father of a friend of mine was earning 270 per day in construction - that was to support his wife and 10 children.  Ten Children. They lived in the brick house provided by his employer, a house with proper toilet (most common pinoys don't have free access to a flushing toilet and must use a bucket or even a hole in the ground). When he retired, his daughter, 19 at the time, was already a new mother.  The young filipino boyfriend sent her 5,500 pesos when the baby was born, and then contact was no longer maintained between them. I didn't want to press for details as to why. Anyway, she had to get a job to start building a house, because father's retirement = no more company home. Her father's pension is just 1,700 pesos per month! 

So she got a job in a larger nearby city in a spa, on 90 pesos per day + 10% commission on massage (P35 typically). The occasional generous tip allowed her to put money into expanding her 1 room hut, which, 3 years since the baby was born, is now a 2 room hut where 10 people sleep. 

Filipinos are very proud and yet ashamed of their low wages which explains some of the posturing. They won't tell you their real wages unless they think you are listening without any risk of damaging their pride.

It's often about appearances. The heavy makeup give an impression of wealth, but it doesn't trickle down far.

These stories, are all from my face to face conversations over my 10+ months "luxury" backpacking in the philippines. I hope they can put into context the reality of life for common people here. I just don't want people to start dreaming of a wonderful comfortable life customer service people make in this country. 

Edited by sandwichmaker
  • Like 5

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted

If the customer service people rely on tips ... then maybe they should start giving decent service.  I mean, you can get bad service anywhere - but never as consistently bad as in the PI's! 

Most Jollibee clerks are friendly, and for that ay I can see why  :tiphat:

sandwichmaker
Posted
Posted

If the customer service people rely on tips ... then maybe they should start giving decent service.  I mean, you can get bad service anywhere - but never as consistently bad as in the PI

I can see a man who has never been to Poland! 

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
If the customer service people rely on tips ... then maybe they should start giving decent service.  I mean, you can get bad service anywhere - but never as consistently bad as in the PI's! 

There are many restaurants that I have been to in Canada and USA that implemented a 15% service charge on the bill.  Since then the service in those places was often worse than the Philippines.  Voluntary tipping to improve performance works, once the employee gets to know you and your tipping patterns.  I have been advised to tip in advance in the Philippines to guarantee better service.  I have not tried it so perhaps others will give their experience in that area.  The idea is that the employee rewards you for the tip rather than you rewarding them for the service.

• Like 3

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted

With the high turnover rate in employees I never have time to get to know the  servers.  So they don't know me, or my tipping habits.  If i luck into good service I will tip.  Generally it is not a concern.  

Hell last night my shy & timid wife got into an argument with the waiter when he flat out called her a liar.  He said she never ordered a pork chop - when all 4 of us at the table heard her say it.  Instead of saying 'sorry I must have misunderstood you'... or something to that effect he just copped an attitude and said she did NOT order it.  Needless to say, he, of course, got no tip, but our nephew did get his pork chop 30 minutes later.... 

I certainly hope that waiter makes less than a Jollibee's clerk!  ha ha     :tiphat:

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

'sorry

Sorry!  :hystery:  :hystery:  :hystery:  You have got more chance with, the "FONZ" saying that, here. :rolleyes:

Can everyone, remember happy days and the Fonz? 

Thomas
Posted
Posted
One business that is successful in paying higher wages is Costco where the average annual pay for employees is above $60,000. Their business strategy is employee loyalty because if they left, it would be difficult to find a comparable pay for a similar position. The company saves on the cost of having to continually train new employees. While it is not mentioned, employee pilferage is likewise reduced because employees fear getting fired from a well paying job. Besides, happy employees means better customer service.
This is something many Filipin companies don't think of...  The fast replacing of staff get worse by the stupid law leting companies avoid paying some fees if they only employ the staff a short period   (Less than 6 months?)   So many Filipin companies have put this in system, replacing staff repeetingly  :th_unfair: