Boots On The Ground Or Electronic Surveillance?

El Negrito
Posted
Posted (edited)
This also applies to the women. Most of the Filipinas my wife and I know who have a foreigner boyfriend or husband who is working in his home country also has a Filipino boyfriend.

This is surprising and yet not. Just funny they all seem to advertize wanting a loyal man but seems like the culture among many is not to be that loyal. :23_11_62[1]:

A girl may say, you are so slang but she will not mean you are using slang words. What she means is she can't understand your accent.

Yes, very sage and wise advice Americano. :thumbsup:

I have experienced this first hand in other countries. Not for myself but other foreigners. I have a standard Midwestern non-dialect way of speaking, I think that is a fancy term I heard from someone to basically mean no accent. Of course this is based on the most popularly heard English in the news, TV, movies and radio. (I do realize that the UK is where English originated so technically even though some of us say they have an accent they really don't)

I have many many friends from very urban areas of the US or from areas in the south and when they visit another country, just say here in Mexico for example, people often complain that they can't understand them. (They are so slang) Heck I have to agree with them. I pride myself on being able to understand accents in English from EVERYWHERE, but I would swear some people in the US are speaking a different language!  :hystery:

Where ever I have visited I have been complimented on how easy it is to understand me, not only because of my clear accent, but because I do realize that even if someone speaks English it is not always their first language. Because of that I will speak to them in a clear, moderately paced to slow and deliberate manner.

I have tried to give native English speaking friends this advice and some don't understand why. It really is a kindness to non-native English speakers.

Edited by El Negrito
  • Like 1

Americano
Posted
Posted

Mr. El Negrito,

I agree with you that Midwestern USA is where to look for people who don't have an accent.  English may have started in England but some Englishmen only pronounce a few letters in each word which makes it hard for other English speakers to understand them. Some words they pronounce the first 2 or 3 letters and then cut the rest off. Sometimes my wife and I will watch a movie on the Internet which was made in England and we will have to translate words for each other. Sometimes we can't figure out what in the world did they say. :)

I'm sure you pronounce English words correctly but some Filipinos will think you have an accent because they have an accent due to speaking other languages and don't realize it.

• Like 1

Methersgate
Posted
Posted

My dear good fellows! Neither of you speak English!  :)

• Like 4

frosty (chris)
Posted
Posted

My dear good fellows! Neither of you speak English!  :)

Unless you have heard a pommie cockney talk about his trouble and strife, you ain't heard proper english.

• Like 3

i am bob
Posted
Posted

With all the traveling I have done, I am very quick to pick up and speak with the same accent as those I am with.  This really helps me understand the words better.

My first time in Portsmouth, England, I had to ask directions from a gentleman and neither I nor the 2 others I was with could understand a word he was saying - nor did he have a clue what we were saying in our "Alex Trebec" Canadian accents.  Within 2 minutes of trying to sound out what he was saying, he and I were having a great chat - and my 2 associates didn't have a clue what either one of us was saying!

:mocking:

• Like 4

Methersgate
Posted
Posted (edited)
Americano, on 29 Jul 2014 - 6:44 PM, said: This also applies to the women. Most of the Filipinas my wife and I know who have a foreigner boyfriend or husband who is working in his home country also has a Filipino boyfriend.  

This is surprising and yet not. Just funny they all seem to advertize wanting a loyal man but seems like the culture among many is not to be that loyal.  

Remember that they do not expect their husband/boyfriend to be faithful to them if he is Filipino.

I have been told in all seriousness by an intelligent Filipina that she cannot expect her Filipino husband to be faithful  when she she is away from him "...because - he is a man."  When I asked why she puts up with him, she said that she loves him "because he is so macho".

I emphasize - do not leave a Filipina - certainly not a pretty one - on her own in the Philippines for a day longer than you have to.

Her friends and neighbours will be dripping "tsimis" (gossip) in her ears about how "She cannot trust you", "How can she know what you are doing?", "Your intentions are not honourable or serious - you are just using her for sex", "They know a man she will like to meet "just to have fun with""  - she will be feeling bored and lonely and she will start to doubt you herself and next thing you know some "macho" Filipino has cut another notch on his bedpost.

Remember she will be assuming that you will behave like the average Filipino. 

This is particularly the case if she does not come from a wealthy background. Filipinos are almost all of them desperately insecure, and will look for an insult or a slight where none was intended. It will be her need for reassurance that will drive  her "astray" - not any inbuilt wickedness. She needs to be appreciated-  right now!

Edited by Methersgate
  • Like 3

Jake
Posted
Posted

Remember that they do not expect their husband/boyfriend to be faithful to them if he is Filipino

Hey Andrew,

Wow, that's pretty deep.......you have dug up a hidden culture of the typical Filipino male psyche.

I have met many Filipinos with number 2, 3, 4......partners and with secret families aboard.  

I wonder if this is another Filipino ingenuity: bolitas (penile implants), popular among the Filipino

crew members of all types of merchant ships, including the love boat cruisers......he, he.  I agree,

the typical Filipino is expected to cheat on his wife, as long as he brings home the bacon.  

Respectfully -- Jake

• Like 2

Methersgate
Posted
Posted (edited)

Remember that they do not expect their husband/boyfriend to be faithful to them if he is Filipino

Hey Andrew,

Wow, that's pretty deep.......you have dug up a hidden culture of the typical Filipino male psyche.

I have met many Filipinos with number 2, 3, 4......partners and with secret families aboard.  

I wonder if this is another Filipino ingenuity: bolitas (penile implants), popular among the Filipino

crew members of all types of merchant ships, including the love boat cruisers......he, he.  I agree,

the typical Filipino is expected to cheat on his wife, as long as he brings home the bacon.  

Respectfully -- Jake

"Spot on" Jake! 

Yes, the "bolitas"... as you say, a Filipino merchant seaman tends to go in for these - some crew member will be in charge of the "surgery"...!

Now, here's  a thing - Filipino seamen usually go in for "improving" their "wedding tackle" whilst on board ship.

For sure, this is in order to make a big "impression" on the ladies of negotiable affection in, say, Brazil, or Canada, or Singapore, but when they get home, their wife will presumably notice that their "member" has been "improved" with a few plastic beads carved from a toothbrush handle. And presumably she does not mind...that he has done this to impress other women!

A sister in law pointed out that the reason why policemen are corrupt is that being a policeman is a "macho" job, so being a "macho" guy the cop has to have a mistress as well as a wife - and, as we know, plenty of girls will throw themselves at him!

He will start a second family with the mistress, but Police pay is not that good - there is only one solution! ;)

Edited by Methersgate
  • Like 1

El Negrito
Posted
Posted (edited)

Remember she will be assuming that you will behave like the average Filipino. 

This is particularly the case if she does not come from a wealthy background. Filipinos are almost all of them desperately insecure, and will look for an insult or a slight where none was intended. It will be her need for reassurance that will drive  her "astray" - not any inbuilt wickedness. She needs to be appreciated-  right now!

With all that insecurity and gossip and looking for bad intentions it makes me want to ask, is it worth it? Do they perhaps feel more secure after marriage? I couldn't stand to be constantly suspected and accused like that.

Edited by El Negrito
  • Like 2

Methersgate
Posted
Posted

Depends entirely on your Filipina.

My first model was the jealous type, the new model is not.

• Like 1