Bad Words?

El Negrito
Posted
Posted

I know when I moved to Mexico it was a culture shock to see Mexicans (wife included) shocked at the use of words such as "stupid" or "idiot". Here they are just BIG no no's.

Are there words that are similar in the Philippines? To be clear I am speaking of English words that are the same or relatively the same there.

• Like 2

sjp52
Posted
Posted

ANYTHING that could be construed as offensive will be.

Filipinos call this "the onion skin syndrome"

Never criticize; only ever praise.

Honest.

Thats for sure

• Like 4

jon1
Posted
Posted

Gago and Bobo come to mind for the words you are talking about. I would only use them in a family setting where you were joking each other.

• Like 4

sjp52
Posted
Posted

Gago and Bobo come to mind for the words you are talking about. I would only use them in a family setting where you were joking each other.

And the meaning is ?

• Like 3

jon1
Posted
Posted

gago=idiot or stupid

bobo=moron

• Like 4

Miguk
Posted
Posted

gago=idiot or stupid

bobo=moron

And all this time I thought they were calling me smart and handsome!   :1 (103):  :hystery:

:hystery: :rolleyes: They will call you pogi......if it is payday hahaha

• Like 5

Americano
Posted
Posted

I believe El Negrito asked about offensive English words. He don't know any words from the over 100 languages in the Philippines yet so he was only asking about English words.

Any insulting words in English may or may not be understood by Filipino listeners so its best not to use any of them.

The first Filipina I met didn't know any bad words in English so I could say anything I wanted to without her being offended but every Filipino has their own level of understanding English. One day she told me that the word "bitch" sounds good, so I told her maybe it sounds good to you but never say it to someone from America. Its an offensive word there so someone may get mad at you.

• Like 1

El Negrito
Posted
Posted

ANYTHING that could be construed as offensive will be.

Filipinos call this "the onion skin syndrome"

Never criticize; only ever praise.

Honest.

Interesting. I sometimes teach English online to Taiwanese and Chinese students and they are just the opposite, they want you to critic their English and offer correction. Sounds like Filipinos would be offended by that.

gago=idiot or stupid

bobo=moron

Bobo means the same in Spanish, interesting.

• Like 2