Bad Words?

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted

I just called my wife "bobo ka" as a term of endearment... she did not appreciate it  :tiphat:

• Like 1

robert k
Posted
Posted (edited)

JJ, the US Army's situation was so dire that the as yet to be adopted .45 automatics were not issued but the black powder .45 Colt  single action army Peacemakers were issued. 1902 the .45 automatic was a prototype, 1905 it was a reality but still in testing and required a redesign of the weak barrel link. The .45 automatic was adopted in 1911 but not many were produced for many years. For many years thereafter there were still revolvers in use but more modern designs of the double action Colt New Service and the Smith and Wesson M-1917 chambered for the .45 Colt ACP cartridge but using "Half Moon" clips as there was no rim on the .45 acp  cartridge for the  extractor to work on, which actually worked out well as a speed loader. There was also a special cartridge designed for the revolvers with a thick rim but otherwise identical to the Colt .45 ACP called the Colt Auto Rim which did not require half moon clips and would extract normally when used in revolvers. Ugly, heavy and slow to reload at the Colt Peacemaker was, they worked. Knowing how cheap the government is when it came to the grunt on the ground, I presume they were issued with leftover black powder ammunition.

Sorry for the off topic.

Edited by robert k

El Negrito
Posted
Posted
There is no traffic ticket like at home that you take and then pay a few days later. The option to the bribe would have been a trip to jail, confiscation of the bike which might or might not be returned in a few months. Think about it. Bribe a police officer for a minor traffic offence and he will give you a phone number that anyone can call and he will confirm that he has accepted a bribe so you only have to pay it once a day.

Excellent commentary. People have to realized they "ain't in Kansas" anymore. The only exception I take is about paying bribes. I have been around some pretty corrupt cops here in Mexico, Ukraine and other places. Before I started traveling I got advice to never offer bribes because it makes it harder on other tourists and you also open yourself up to be a target in the future.

Maybe for that one day they can call that cop but later forget about it. I hold to this, I have never offered a bribe in my life and have seen many others that have and I have never regretted it but they usually have. JMHO.

JJReyes
Posted
Posted (edited)
JJ, the US Army's situation was so dire that the as yet to be adopted .45 automatics were not issued but the black powder .45 Colt  single action army Peacemakers were issued. 1902 the .45 automatic was a prototype, 1905 it was a reality but still in testing and required a redesign of the weak barrel link. The .45 automatic was adopted in 1911 but not many were produced for many years. For many years thereafter there were still revolvers in use but more modern designs of the double action Colt New Service and the Smith and Wesson M-1917 chambered for the .45 Colt ACP cartridge but using "Half Moon" clips as there was no rim on the .45 acp  cartridge for the  extractor to work on, which actually worked out well as a speed loader. There was also a special cartridge designed for the revolvers with a thick rim but otherwise identical to the Colt .45 ACP called the Colt Auto Rim which did not require half moon clips and would extract normally when used in revolvers. Ugly, heavy and slow to reload at the Colt Peacemaker was, they worked. Knowing how cheap the government is when it came to the grunt on the ground, I presume they were issued with leftover black powder ammunition.   Sorry for the off topic.

Robert, Thanks for the detailed information about the .45 Colt. Now that we moved in retirement from Hawaii (anti-gun state) to South Dakota (pro-gun state), I have started reading about guns & ammo for future conversations with my fellow South Dakotans. I plan on taking a refresher course early next year. I hope to do a little hunting. We keep seeing deer and elk. My wife says, "Cute!" while I say, "Meat!"

During my teen years, we used to do a lot of hunting in the Philippines. Mostly wild boar. I understand game is virtually extinct. 

Edited by JJReyes

Methersgate
Posted
Posted

"Running amok" -

I decided to google the term. 

Wikipedia has it as of Malay/Indonesian origin.

It goes into historical and cross-cultural comparisons, and cites examples which include the Philippines, as shown below:

In the Philippines, amok also means unreasoning murderous rage by an individual. In 1876, the Spanish governor-general of the Philippines José Malcampo coined the term juramentado for the behavior (from juramentar - "to take an oath"), surviving into modern Filipino languages as huramentado.  It has historically been linked with the Moro people of Mindanao, particularly in the island of Jolo in connection with societal and cultural pressures.

We see cases of "amok" reported quite frequently; particularly in the slums of Metro Manila. It all gets too much for someone and he "runs amok" until he is eventually shot.

A Juramentado was originally perhaps more like the Viking "Berserker" - a man who has taken an oath to die in battle.  

• Like 1

JJReyes
Posted
Posted
A Juramentado was originally perhaps more like the Viking "Berserker" - a man who has taken an oath to die in battle.

I was told by Scandinavian friends that Vikings would drink a brew made from a wild mushroom which made them fearless in battle. The mushroom made them go "berserk." The British army and navy would issue rations of rum before a battle for additional courage and as a way to gloss over the carnage. 

I just called my wife "bobo ka" as a term of endearment... she did not appreciate it 

I don't think calling your wife, "bobo ka" would be considered as a term of endearment. Try another else like, "si maganda." (the beautiful one).

• Like 2

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted
I don't think calling your wife, "bobo ka" would be considered as a term of endearment. Try another else like, "si maganda." (the beautiful one).

Yeah... but where is the fun in that!  :tiphat:

• Like 1

Hey Steve
Posted
Posted

Not only "bobo", but from what I hear something that is menial to us (tsk, tsk, tsk) is objecting offensively to someone's statement.

Some cultural differences (where accidental offenses occur) seem to be trial and error-whereas we hope to minimize the errors to avoid the trials that may come. :unsure:

• Like 2

Thomas
Posted
Posted

Bobo means the same in Spanish, interesting.

I know I keep mentioning the mix but I am just amazed at how it seems to be interwoven to so many aspects. It kind of encourages me since I have been in Mexico 8 years I am feeling that maybe the Philippines may not feel all that foreign.

Both Philippines and Mexico have been Spanish colonies, so not odd both have got several influenses from Spain.

I have learned only a few Filipin words (yet) but I understand some anyway by there are rather many words borrowed from Spanish and I have studied that.  (But Filipin now and then have "twisted" the Spanish words much e g "como esta ustead" has become "kmusta"   :)

JJ, the US Army's situation was so dire that the as yet to be adopted .45 automatics were not issued but the black powder .45 Colt  single action army Peacemakers were issued. 1902 the .45 automatic was a prototype, 1905 it was a reality but still in testing and required a redesign of the weak barrel link. The .45 automatic was adopted in 1911 but not many were produced for many years. For many years thereafter there were still revolvers in use but more modern designs of the double action Colt New Service and the Smith and Wesson M-1917 chambered for the .45 Colt ACP cartridge but using "Half Moon" clips as there was no rim on the .45 acp  cartridge for the  extractor to work on, which actually worked out well as a speed loader. There was also a special cartridge designed for the revolvers with a thick rim but otherwise identical to the Colt .45 ACP called the Colt Auto Rim which did not require half moon clips and would extract normally when used in revolvers. Ugly, heavy and slow to reload at the Colt Peacemaker was, they worked. Knowing how cheap the government is when it came to the grunt on the ground, I presume they were issued with leftover black powder ammunition.

Sorry for the off topic.

But first them with power in military* DIDN'T want fast shooting weapons "BECAUSE IT BECOME EXPENSIVE SHOOTING MORE SHOTS" !!!    Bobo leaders...

*American military, or was it the English - or both?

I was told by Scandinavian friends that Vikings would drink a brew made from a wild mushroom which made them fearless in battle. The mushroom made them go "berserk." The British army and navy would issue rations of rum before a battle for additional courage and as a way to gloss over the carnage. 

Yes, it's "Flugsvamp" a red mushroom with white dots, deadly poisonous if eat it as food,

but both Scandinavian shamans and Wiking Berserks used low doses of it to become "in mood". I suppouse that was a big part of the reason Wikings became so feared as opponents and wanted as body guards to many foreign kings  (when they didn't took England, part of France and became kings in Russia and Ukraine.)

El Negrito
Posted
Posted
But Filipin now and then have "twisted" the Spanish words much e g "como esta ustead" has become "kmusta" 

Actually most of the time the "usted" is not added on and hence we end up saying just "como esta" well in everyday speech which is usually not as pronounced as it should be it ends up sounding like "kmusta". I have listened to both expressions in both languages and they sound almost the same, at least I can't hear a difference.

• Like 1