Bad Words?

JJReyes
Posted
Posted (edited)
Methersgate, on 04 Aug 2014 - 2:28 PM, said: Remember it was the Filipinos who gave the world the term "amok" as in "to run amok" -killing everyone in sight until the amok is himself killed   I had heard this before, but I was led to believe it had a Muslim content, similar to "juramentado".

The original context comes from the American occupation of the Philippines after the Spanish American War. Filipinos would pull out a bolo and in a suicidal attack tried to kill as many American troopers (US 7th Calvary) before  being killed. Supposedly, the side arms at the time did not have the stopping power if attacked by an "amok." This eventually led to the issuance of the .45 caliber semi-automatic. 

I recall watching a Gary Cooper film describing the above. The movie had the amoks as Muslims from Mindanao doing what we today describe as Jihadists. Maybe Hollywood's twisting the story is where the idea of it being Islamic comes from. My historical recollection is the US 7th Calvary was assigned to Luzon to defeat General Emilio Aguinaldo's Philippine Revolutionary Army.

Edited by JJReyes
  • Like 3

JJReyes
Posted
Posted
Hi JJ. I understand them getting mad when someone says something bad to them, But why the physical violence. Do they have a lot of anger built up inside.  

The insult was leveled at a girl who comes from a prominent, wealthy family. She refused to dance with the drunk. The insult was intentional. The reaction may have been different if the guy was just unknowingly insensitive. I suspect it was one of her brothers who did the stabbing. The best way to describe the situation is like shouting the "N" word at a gathering where most of the guests are Black Americans. 

• Like 1

El Negrito
Posted
Posted (edited)
Yes, they do. It is a very high pressure, very crowded, society. People have very little personal space, they are expected to conform, and yet their culture requires them to think of themselves as big tough macho guys.

This is very interesting too as it seems like a mixture of Asian and Latino (or at least Mexican) cultures. Asian very high pressured, crowded and expected to conform and Mexican which is VERY macho and somewhat ready to fight.

I know I keep mentioning the mix but I am just amazed at how it seems to be interwoven to so many aspects. It kind of encourages me since I have been in Mexico 8 years I am feeling that maybe the Philippines may not feel all that foreign.

Edited by El Negrito
  • Like 1

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

I know I keep mentioning the mix but I am just amazed at how it seems to be interwoven to so many aspects. It kind of encourages me since I have been in Mexico 8 years I am feeling that maybe the Philippines may not feel all that foreign.

I lived in Spain for 15+ years and I felt the same way, The mix and language (both verbal and body is very similar. I know from my own experiences here, that all I learned in Spain, has come in Very useful. As the language has a vast Spanish influence in it, It does not take too long to appreciate that you just, may be in the Wrong place at the Wrong time. Not a good idea, in many circumstances. 

I have found, that because of my Spanish experience and usually our locals can smell, that I am not just another Kano but Understand more, than they at first thought, they themselves, seem to moderate their thoughts and intentions.

I have also found, that they are (to an Extent) Wary, of anything out of the ordinary to them. Using this as a defense, can be good, when faced with a situation, that needs kid gloves. 

Morning All  :tiphat:  :morning1:

• Like 3

El Negrito
Posted
Posted
I lived in Spain for 15+ years and I felt the same way, The mix and language (both verbal and body is very similar. I know from my own experiences here, that all I learned in Spain, has come in Very useful. As the language has a vast Spanish influence in it...

....  I have also found, that they are (to an Extent) Wary, of anything out of the ordinary to them. Using this as a defense, can be good, when faced with a situation, that needs kid gloves. 

Funny you mention those things. Mexicans are also very sensitive and proud and need to be treated with kid gloves. Thanks for confirming my thoughts with your experience!

• Like 2

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

Mexicans are also very sensitive and proud and need to be treated with kid gloves.

So my friend, as you can see, your transition into Filipino life is not going to be that difficult.  Using the knowledge gained from elsewhere, treading on Eggshells will not be a problem, you have hit it on the head really, as with the Mexicans, Spanish and I guess many, of the Latino based countries Pride, plays a big part in their life. Couple this, with the fierce Envy ( jealous) streak of the female and you are well on the way to integration. For me I ( and I have said this many times before.) Integration is a must, if we (The foreigner) are to succeed in our Quest.

No good finding what we feel, is Mrs Right, if we are not prepared to at least meet and try and get to know the other side of the Lady (Family, Friends) Yes, we all have our own theories, on the family but we should at least try and see life, from their perspective. By not doing so, we are as guilty as they ( that tell even the smallest little lie) of not being totally up front. 

How can we expect 100% from our Ladies if we, can't give 100%

Sorry if this sould like a sermon but somedays, I get the impression, that some, just want it all, their own way

Whether it is a marriage or a lasting relationship (or whatever) it is about 2 people not just1

:tiphat:

• Like 4

El Negrito
Posted
Posted (edited)
No good finding what we feel, is Mrs Right, if we are not prepared to at least meet and try and get to know the other side of the Lady (Family, Friends) Yes, we all have our own theories, on the family but we should at least try and see life, from their perspective. By not doing so, we are as guilty as they ( that tell even the smallest little lie) of not being totally up front. 

How can we expect 100% from our Ladies if we, can't give 100%

Whether it is a marriage or a lasting relationship (or whatever) it is about 2 people not just1

Yes and I believe if you move be prepared to accept their culture as your own, language, customs, family and all. If their parents take ill then take care of them and if yours do she should be willing to do the same. Better hope they both don't at the same time but be prepared to split your time and have to travel if they do.

If you decide to live in RP then make that your home and don't always talk about "back home" or how they do things there. Make her family your family and make her part of yours. Be willing to bend for her family and make yours bend for her but all so that no one including has to break. I say that from experience with my late wife.

JP please keep your posts coming man. You are an inspiration!  :10001:   :th_thsmilies-29057:  :icon_GreatJobKao:

Edited by El Negrito
  • Like 2

JJReyes
Posted
Posted

Excellent commentary, Jon. You did a good summation on the lifestyle of an expat in Asia.

• Like 2