Bad Words?

Methersgate
Posted
Posted (edited)

Correct (or should I say "koreck"?)

Chinese people have very high self esteem and are typically quietly self confident.

Their history and culture and their current success gives them a lot to feel self confident about.

They can easily accept correction for what it is - an attempt to help them.

Learning is an important cultural value for Chinese people.

Filipinos are just the opposite....

Edited by Methersgate
  • Like 3

El Negrito
Posted
Posted

Correct (or should I say "koreck"?)

Chinese people have very high self esteem and are typically quietly self confident.

Their history and culture and their current success gives them a lot to feel self confident about.

Filipinos are just the opposite....

Very good to know. Thanks!

• Like 1

Americano
Posted
Posted

I agree with what is being said about most Filipinos are not being interested in learning, especially if its something they are not interested in or if you try to teach them something that is different from what they have already learned, but here is a big difference, if you are friends with or a relative of a Filipino and you politely help them learn English then they are very receptive and appreciate you helping them learn correct or more English. I have a lot of experience teaching English to male and female Filipinos. I believe all of them appreciated me helping them to learn correct English. Most of them need help spelling some English words. Almost every day my wife asks me how to spell a word or two. I can spell most words and the ones I don't remember how to spell I can get the correct spelling on my computer, but if you hear a stranger pronouncing a word incorrectly and you try to correct them it could be offensive to them and make them mad. Its all about your relationship to the person and your attitude of not feeling superior to them but only willing to help.

• Like 2

Jake
Posted
Posted

Hey guys,

I don't recall any other English words besides the typical western 4 letter words that would offend the Filipinos.
However, your body language needs to be discussed.  For example, when you want a Filipino to come towards
you, you usually wave at him with your palm up.  For some locals, that is considered offensive.  They may see
that like you're fetching a dog.  Palm down is the acceptable way. 

Pointing your finger is a no-no.  Point with your puckered lips instead.  Also making a prolonged eye contact

with a Filipino may incite a macho response, especially when he's drunk.  Believe me, it happened to me......

One traffic incident in Batangas had me confused when I shouted at the other driver, you're an a$$hole.  He
responded back -- leche ka!  I had no comeback -- still confused, so I drove off. 

I get no respect sometimes........

• Like 3

El Negrito
Posted
Posted
For example, when you want a Filipino to come towards you, you usually wave at him with your palm up.  For some locals, that is considered offensive.  They may see that like you're fetching a dog.  Palm down is the acceptable way.    Pointing your finger is a no-no.  Point with your puckered lips instead.  Also making a prolonged eye contact with a Filipino may incite a macho response, especially when he's drunk.  Believe me, it happened to me......

Wow! Extremely similar to Mexico! I hate the palm down thing because I feel like a dog or child but it is the accepted and preferred way here.

• Like 1

JJReyes
Posted
Posted
Bobo means the same in Spanish, interesting.

Bobo is Spanish and accepted in the Philippines as part of the vernacular.

Most languages "borrow" from other languages. Tempura in Japanese is from the Latin word, "Tempora" or day of abstinence. The Portuguese would fry small fish and shrimps on Fridays because it was a day when Catholics were forbidden from eating meat. Boondocks in American English is from the Philippine word "bundok" meaning mountains.

Many Filipinos understand enough English to realize if derogatory words were used. Being non-confrontational, they won't say anything directly if you have been offensive. The retaliation will come later. I once heard a drunk American refer to a girl as, "Hey you Flip!" Very insulting. Later that evening someone stuck an ice pick on his back in the parking lot. Too drunk to feel the wound until sometime later after the assailant was gone.

• Like 2

sjp52
Posted
Posted

Bobo means the same in Spanish, interesting.

Bobo is Spanish and accepted in the Philippines as part of the vernacular.

Most languages "borrow" from other languages. Tempura in Japanese is from the Latin word, "Tempora" or day of abstinence. The Portuguese would fry small fish and shrimps on Fridays because it was a day when Catholics were forbidden from eating meat. Boondocks in American English is from the Philippine word "bundok" meaning mountains.

Many Filipinos understand enough English to realize if derogatory words were used. Being non-confrontational, they won't say anything directly if you have been offensive. The retaliation will come later. I once heard a drunk American refer to a girl as, "Hey you Flip!" Very insulting. Later that evening someone stuck an ice pick on his back in the parking lot. Too drunk to feel the wound until sometime later after the assailant was gone.

Hi JJ. I understand them getting mad when someone says something bad to them, But why the physical violence. Do they have a lot of anger built up inside.  

• Like 2

Methersgate
Posted
Posted
Hi JJ. I understand them getting mad when someone says something bad to them, But why the physical violence. Do they have a lot of anger built up inside.  

Yes, they do. It is a very high pressure, very crowded, society. People have very little personal space, they are expected to conform, and yet their culture requires them to think of themselves as big tough macho guys.

Remember it was the Filipinos who gave the world the term "amok" as in "to run amok" -killing everyone in sight until the amok is himself killed.

• Like 4

El Negrito
Posted
Posted
Bobo is Spanish and accepted in the Philippines as part of the vernacular.   Most languages "borrow" from other languages. Tempura in Japanese is from the Latin word, "Tempora" or day of abstinence. The Portuguese would fry small fish and shrimps on Fridays because it was a day when Catholics were forbidden from eating meat. Boondocks in American English is from the Philippine word "bundok" meaning mountains.   Many Filipinos understand enough English to realize if derogatory words were used. Being non-confrontational, they won't say anything directly if you have been offensive. The retaliation will come later. I once heard a drunk American refer to a girl as, "Hey you Flip!" Very insulting. Later that evening someone stuck an ice pick on his back in the parking lot. Too drunk to feel the wound until sometime later after the assailant was gone.

Very interesting, I am kind of an entomology geek and find those things very interesting. The drunk guy probably didn't even remember what he did. Lessons? Don't get drunk and always mind your tongue. Thanks for the interesting info!

• Like 1

MacBubba
Posted
Posted
Remember it was the Filipinos who gave the world the term "amok" as in "to run amok" -killing everyone in sight until the amok is himself killed

I had heard this before, but I was led to believe it had a Muslim content, similar to "juramentado".

• Like 1