Bad Words?

MikeB
Posted
Posted
Actually most of the time the "usted" is not added on and hence we end up saying just "como esta" well in everyday speech which is usually not as pronounced as it should be it ends up sounding like "kmusta". I have listened to both expressions in both languages and they sound almost the same, at least I can't hear a difference.

Kumusta is the Filipinozation of the Spanish como esta which I think is grammatically incorrect w/o the usted. From my high school spanish class about a hundred years ago, como estas is the correct, informal 2nd person singular greeting.  

• Like 1

El Negrito
Posted
Posted
Kumusta is the Filipinozation of the Spanish como esta which I think is grammatically incorrect w/o the usted. From my high school spanish class about a hundred years ago, como estas is the correct, informal 2nd person singular greeting.  

I've lived in Mexico for 8 years, still here, and my late wife was Mexican. From what I have been told from Mexicans the "usted" is implied when you use the more formal "esta" in lieu of the less formal "estas" and it's not needed to complete the question. That said both are correct however adding the usted emphasizes the "you" aspect and I guess could be considered more polite.

I did check a reference here http://www.rocketlanguages.com/your-community/spanish-grammer/cmo-est-or-cmo-est-usted/

Steve & Myrlita
Posted
Posted

Kumusta is used in Ilonggo.

jon1
Posted
Posted

Where my wife is from, Zamboanga City, the native dialect (Chavacano) is very similar to Mexican Spanish. http://www.omniglot.com/writing/chavacano.php In fact, at one point, Spain was looking to set up call centers populated with Zamboangenos. A lot of their customs are extremely spanish based; burials, holidays (All Soul's day), etc.

• Like 1

• 9 months later...
prodigal1
Posted
Posted

Correct (or should I say "koreck"?)

Chinese people have very high self esteem and are typically quietly self confident.

Their history and culture and their current success gives them a lot to feel self confident about.

They can easily accept correction for what it is - an attempt to help them.

Learning is an important cultural value for Chinese people.

Filipinos are just the opposite....

Interesting observation.  What could one generalize about Filipinas of Chinese descent?

MacBubba
Posted
Posted
What could one generalize about Filipinas of Chinese descent?

As a rule, you can't generalize.  But since you asked...

Assuming a Philippine-born but otherwise full Chinese blooded male or female qualifies as a Filipino (by virtue of naturalized citizenship) of Chinese descent - he or she will retain the traits of his or her Chinese heritage. 

One born to a Chinese parent and a Filipino parent will consider himself/herself as a mixed Filipino and will likely be assimilated and be inclined to take on Filipino traits.  However, if the child of such a mixed marriage is sent to a Chinese school or keeps company with Chinese friends, then the assimilation is less pronounced.

Of course a lot will have to do with which the dominant parent is, and whether or not the child has a big enough Chinese extended family.

The above are just my observations.  Others might observe the opposite. 

I have also observed that in provincial areas where there are fewer Chinese, the Filipinos will view Chinese mestizos as Chinese.  In a big city like Manila, even if the child bears a Chinese surname, if the Chinese ancestor is a few generations removed, and the child associates with Filipinos, then his or her Chinese ancestry does not define him or her.

Just my thoughts, no extensive studies were involved.  (That was more tiring than I thought!)

• Like 1

Thomas
Posted
Posted
What could one generalize about Filipinas of Chinese descent?
I don't know many enough to make it statisticaly sure   :)    but it seem Chineese and South Koreans in average are more determend than Filipinos in average.

BUT an important factor OTHER than ethnic is the Chineese and South Koreans (or their ancestors) have made the ACTIVE action to immigrate to Phils. My conclusion is that make the average of them are more DETERMEND than Filipinos in average. I believe that's MORE important than ethnisity. (Of course there are exceptions in both direction. The most determend person I know in Phils is Filipina.)

It's a similar situation in USA according to an American research made a few years ago. It tell Asians in average living in USA get better study result than Americans in average although the Asian parents have LOWER education than the American parents. I suppouse Filipinos are INCLUDED in that Asian group   :)

canadamale
Posted
Posted

Not a bad word but miscommunication, I have a habit of saying oh oh when I see something wrong or not correct and it sounds so much like oo (yes)

• Like 1

Kuya John
Posted
Posted
It's a similar situation in USA according to an American research made a few years ago. It tell Asians in average living in USA get better study result than Americans in average although the Asian parents have LOWER education than the American parents. I suppouse Filipinos are INCLUDED in that Asian group :)

It is also the case here in UK, that Filipino Children study harder than most English Children, with good results.

Attitude has a lot to do with it, Filipino parents I know here are prepared to pay for study time, with private tutors after school hours.

Most of the children I speak to at party's are ambitious and want to get on in life.

Whether that is down to their parents choosing carreers that have brought them rewards overseas or comparing their Grandparents situation back in Philippines remains debatable.Well done to those who struggled to gain an education and lifted themselves out of the mire that engulfs most people.

El Negrito
Posted
Posted

I just called my wife "bobo ka" as a term of endearment... she did not appreciate it  :tiphat:

If "bobo" means the same as it does here in Mexico I can understand why.  :lol: