Sad Story

RBM
Posted
Posted

Yesterday decided to treat myself to a Swedish massage, have some neck aches an seems to help.

The masseuse I guess would be in her mid 30s. After some time she became quite chatty, the usual questions, are you married etc. When I asked her about her situation she became sad and not far from tears.

Two months ago on a motor cycle with her husband in pouring rain they crashed into the rear of a tricycle. Her husband was killed and she suffered concussion. She had been married some 12 years and they have 3 children, all school age.

As we chatted on she explained she is from Luzon, her parents are dead and has lost contact with her sisters and brother, I found this strange but believe her. According to her, she was not close to her deceased husbands family as wife's were not friendly. Pushing this a little she explained her husbands brothers would like to see their nephews how ever wife's forbade it.

Quite openly she requested any tip would be much appreciated as she has debts and lacking food for the kids. She explained, not begging how ever if your able spare a little it would be appreciated. I suggested she return to Luzon, this was not on the table as she says here was where my husband lived and we stay.

Seems they have a small house paid for and the neighbor is helping help with her kids. We would like to help a little, but, it becomes the old story of give a fish or catch a fish. Of course I left a tip which would give a meal or two but what next?? Anyone out there with suggestion I would love to hear, intend to return a couple of times a week. I do not believe she is a scammer, just 5 girls working there and word would spread fast.

• Like 1

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

Anyone out there with suggestion I would love to hear, intend to return a couple of times a week.

Just don't get Hooked and caught.  :thumbsup:   post-2148-0-45970600-1408938294_thumb.jp

JP :tiphat:

• Like 3

RBM
Posted
Posted

I have become a skeptic since living here.

I have heard too many stories embellished to the point of outright lies and other filipinas are not concerned because they see it as 'just a story' and its up to you if you believe it.  If true then she joins the millions of others who have a sob story.  How far will your compassion go?  Mine does not go past the family any more as I believe this culture sees compassion as a weakness to be exploited.

My final point is that those I have seen with REAL hard luck stories seldom talk about them.  They have been beaten down to the point where they believe no one cares and there is no longer any point to bring it up.

Dave kinda get a feeling you have been ripped here at some time.

I try remember, what if I never met these or this person? They would still survive.....how ever at times if the individual is genuine, such a small amount can mean difference between kids have rice or going without.

Returning there later today and GF going be a private eye Ha

• Like 4

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

such a small amount can mean difference between kids have rice or going without.

RBM I admire your thoughts and concern but before you  get involved in something, that just might, cause you some grief, ask the lady in Question, how many, clients, she has a day on Average. That could add up to Quite a lot of rice. I doubt very much, you are the only one, to be told the Story. Not meaning to be negative but Reality, can play some harsh Tricks.

But your GF, will sniff it all out. hopefully.

Let us know how it all goes, hey! we could have got it all wrong.  :rolleyes:

• Like 4

RBM
Posted
Posted

It's your money but don't let them know where you live because you'll have a line around the block.

Ha Ha, gave me a laugh Dave, yeh could be true.

If she checks out legit would only be small change I think just few hundred peso. Most expats say impossible to help people here, so would be little more than a bandade. I not prepared to get to involved.

• Like 1

RBM
Posted
Posted

such a small amount can mean difference between kids have rice or going without.

RBM I admire your thoughts and concern but before you  get involved in something, that just might, cause you some grief, ask the lady in Question, how many, clients, she has a day on Average. That could add up to Quite a lot of rice. I doubt very much, you are the only one, to be told the Story. Not meaning to be negative but Reality, can play some harsh Tricks.

But your GF, will sniff it all out. hopefully.

Let us know how it all goes, hey! we could have got it all wrong.  :rolleyes:

Already asked Jack, varies, rough average around 3 per shift. No happy ending this place.....According to her they receive a third of the price charged, unfortunately she gets less as unable to work a full shift with having the kids. Yes of curse all hear the story, not many foreigner customers, I doubt the locals would donate much.

Should of been there now but pouring here and only have the motors at home.

robert k
Posted
Posted

I admire your wanting to help RBM. I think the situation is rare where one can make a real difference, but I am watchful in case I find one.

• Like 2

jpbago
Posted
Posted
I have heard too many stories embellished to the point of outright lies and other filipinas are not concerned because they see it as 'just a story' and its up to you if you believe it.

They are proud of their scams often bragging about them.The stories that my wife hears from OFWs at the airports are shocking.

• Like 2