Sad Story

RBM
Posted
Posted

such a small amount can mean difference between kids have rice or going without.

RBM I admire your thoughts and concern but before you  get involved in something, that just might, cause you some grief, ask the lady in Question, how many, clients, she has a day on Average. That could add up to Quite a lot of rice. I doubt very much, you are the only one, to be told the Story. Not meaning to be negative but Reality, can play some harsh Tricks.

But your GF, will sniff it all out. hopefully.

Let us know how it all goes, hey! we could have got it all wrong.  :rolleyes:

Yes Jack GF did sort it. Story was full of half truths, true there was an accident an her live in was killed.

True she has 3 kids, but also three different Dads. Two of the kids in Manila, not with her as she she said. Further she comes from a wealthy family whom basically dis owned her for a miss spent youth...

Well, some of these guys are sure pretty good actors. Times I wonder if they actually can reason fact from fiction. Really puts one off doing a little here an there to help.

• Like 3

Hey Steve
Posted
Posted

When in the Philippines on frequent trips and talking to strangers (and this,RBM, is a prime example), I don't believe anything I hear and only half of what I see. 

• Like 3

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

When in the Philippines on frequent trips and talking to strangers (and this,RBM, is a prime example), I don't believe anything I hear and only half of what I see.

Exactly right.

davewe
Posted
Posted (edited)

I guess the question is, did you get what you paid for? Was it a good service? If so then go back regularly and get the same good service, that is hard to find anywhere in the world, no matter what you are looking for.

If you leave a tip each time you are helping, (or being scammed) either way you are making an informed decision, and it doesn't matter what anyone else thinks.

After all you are paying for a service not a life story, and if you pay extra it is for the service, not for the life story.

Papa Carl

+1 Anywhere in the world I give a tip for service (assuming the service is adequate). I assume that everyone needs the money and has a hard luck story. Hell, I have a hard luck story or two. No one is working in a service industry who doesn't need the money and most women have kids.

So, give the money based on service only. OTOH, I don't care where you are in the world, if you ask a service provider who lives off of tips, how their life is going, you are going to get a hard luck story. They aren't gonna tell you they are doing great and making a ton of money.

Edited by davewe
  • Like 3

Americano
Posted
Posted

It's your money but don't let them know where you live because you'll have a line around the block.

Mike, are you a politician now?  What office are you running for?  Just joking I like your new profile picture  :)

• Like 1

Americano
Posted
Posted

When someone tells you a sad or hardship story and you are thinking about giving them money you should verify if their story is true first unless you don't mind giving money to scammers. After a while scammers become professionals so you cannot tell when they are lying. You must verify their story by other sources.

• Like 1

davewe
Posted
Posted

I have gone to a hair guy for a few years in a shop that let us say is more expensive than Super Cuts :) Why I go is questionable since I barely have enough left to cut, but that's another story.

The guy does a great job and I tip him well. Of course we talk and he tells me what he is doing and it usually involves not making a hell of a lot of money. A year or so ago, he and his wife bought the salon. He still complains just a bit every time I go in about how little the salon is making. He's not a scammer; he does what every service provider in the world does; he's angling for a tip. I give him a good one - based on the quality of service, not because I think he needs it.

• Like 3

Americano
Posted
Posted

I always tip my hair cutter too. I hug and kiss her every day and tell her how pretty and cute she is.  Well I tip her in other ways too but this is a family forum :)

• Like 4

MikeB
Posted
Posted
Mike, are you a politician now?  What office are you running for?  Just joking I like your new profile picture

Not a politician, Angelo Mozilio, former CEO of Countrywide Mortgage, the single individual behind the single lender most responsible for the US housing bubble and collapse of 2007-08. But he couldn't do such a large task by himself, he had lots of help from our own government and politicians. Here he is swearing "to tell the whole truth and nothing but the truth..."

• Like 4