How Does Conversation Work With Your Filipina Wife/gf?

Methersgate
Posted
Posted

Father is Illonggo; mother is Bisaya; they are from Canlaon City in Negros but moved to Zamboanga del Sur when they married as they could get a farm there.

My ex wife (we were married for almost 20 years) is from Bataan and is very proud to call herself " a pure Tagalog". Her English is fully functional, but considering she has lived and worked in Britain for 14 years, so it should be!

• Like 1

Thomas
Posted
Posted (edited)

Larry45, on 13 Dec 2014 - 06:53 AM, said: We converse in English in our home. Wife is very slow to learn, mainly because she speaks mostly Bisaya in her job as an elementary school teacher. She has the grammar and wordage ok, but her experience speaking English is almost zero. Which is nice. In the province, if a girl is fluent in English, it's very easy to figure out how she learned it.

Picky, picky! ;)

My ex wife's late grandfather spoke grammatically precise, well modulated, American English.  He had been a fisherman all his working life, but was also an Elder of the Iglesia no Cristo. It was a pleasure to talk with him. He had learned his English at school, in the colonial era. One does not hear such English spoken in the Philippines now.

You copied it so for a fast reader it LOOK as I had the red text oppinion, but I wrote AGAINST that text from LARRY   :)

Edit:  Although I'm picky about OTHER things   :mocking:

Edited by Thomas
  • Like 1

Methersgate
Posted
Posted (edited)

Larry45, on 13 Dec 2014 - 06:53 AM, said: We converse in English in our home. Wife is very slow to learn, mainly because she speaks mostly Bisaya in her job as an elementary school teacher. She has the grammar and wordage ok, but her experience speaking English is almost zero. Which is nice. In the province, if a girl is fluent in English, it's very easy to figure out how she learned it.

Picky, picky! ;)

My ex wife's late grandfather spoke grammatically precise, well modulated, American English.  He had been a fisherman all his working life, but was also an Elder of the Iglesia no Cristo. It was a pleasure to talk with him. He had learned his English at school, in the colonial era. One does not hear such English spoken in the Philippines now.

You copied it so for a fast reader it LOOK as I had the red text oppinion, but I wrote AGAINST that text from LARRY   :)

Edit:  Although I'm picky about OTHER things   :mocking:

I was trying to copy Larry's post and your name came up and I did not spot that - sorry. It is now too late to edit my post

Edited by Methersgate
  • Like 1

Thomas
Posted
Posted
I was trying to copy Larry's post and your name came up and I did not spot that - sorry. It is now too late to edit my post
  No problem, I just joked about it  :)

(I guess you tried to quote his text from MY post instead of from HIS.)

• Like 1

MacBubba
Posted
Posted

My wife, although fluent in Tagalog, does all her thinking in English.  Therefore, nothing is lost in translation. 

She is a clear, concise thinker, and this is reflected in how she communicates very effectively. 

I used to be alarmed at her preponderance  of male friends, until I realized that the reason they've stayed friends is because they truly value what she brings to the table - she is a great source of unembellished opinion!  She has fewer female friends for the same reason.

• Like 2

Americano
Posted
Posted (edited)

My wife, although fluent in Tagalog, does all her thinking in English.  Therefore, nothing is lost in translation. 

She is a clear, concise thinker, and this is reflected in how she communicates very effectively. 

I used to be alarmed at her preponderance  of male friends, until I realized that the reason they've stayed friends is because they truly value what she brings to the table - she is a great source of unembellished opinion!  She has fewer female friends for the same reason.

I really like your post and have been saying the same things for many years.  Every person thinks in a certain language.  Therefore if a person cannot think in English they will not be a fluent English speaker. 

Edited by Americano

Curley
Posted
Posted

Another very lucky man.

• Like 2

Thomas
Posted
Posted
I used to be alarmed at her preponderance of male friends, until I realized that the reason they've stayed friends is because they truly value what she brings to the table - she is a great source of unembellished opinion! She has fewer female friends for the same reason.
Is she Scorpio?    :)

That's common among Scorpio women, because they think more like men than women. Many Scorpio women have huge charisma too, which make other women scared by their men are attracted to the Scorpio, which make most women don't want to be best friend with Scorpio women - Scorpio women find most women boring anyway   :)

• Like 1

MacBubba
Posted
Posted
Is she Scorpio?

No, she is not.

• Like 1

i am bob
Posted
Posted

I'm a little late to this conversation but tough...   hehe!

My Special Someone just competed and passed her LET to get her teacher's license...  And she is most definitely fluent in English!  Actually I think she may be more fluent than I am...?

:mocking:

• Like 2