Container Homes And Prefabs

Gerald Glatt
Posted
Posted

​Alibaba, has a whole section of container homes and pre- fabs of that size that can be tied together, rhey say they will deliver to any port. 

• Like 1

WordsandMusic
Posted
Posted

Yeah Gerald I've researched Alibaba some but I feel with all those empty containers on the docks I might get a deal on four of them. At least I want to try. If not ill try something else. But I've been working on every aspect of building from shipping container technology for 5 years. I just gotta try. If it works It could make a lot of difference to many folks in the family.

• Like 2

Gerald Glatt
Posted
Posted

Yeah Gerald I've researched Alibaba some but I feel with all those empty containers on the docks I might get a deal on four of them. At least I want to try. If not ill try something else. But I've been working on every aspect of building from shipping container technology for 5 years. I just gotta try. If it works It could make a lot of difference to many folks in the family.

Kepp us informed of any findings and if you go ahead the priject  and costs.

• Like 2

WordsandMusic
Posted
Posted

So far excluding land I figure $1000.00 for land preparation, to include 16 2' x 2' x 6' pillars. $7000.00 for purchase, transportation and setting containers on pillars. Cutting windows and doors, reinforcing the cut outs doing the grinding work. I could do this myself, but if not I think I could get this all done for $200.00. I would need to buy windows and doors first then cut opening to fit. I might some money if I shop around, but if I can find thermal energy windows I would be willing to pay a little more for them. I don't need alot maybe 10 windows 2 x 3. Three steel doors. I need three because I want to create an outer entry prior to entry into the main house. It will be a security measure as well as a wet room for shoes umbrellas and such, but ill have security cameras so I can see who's nosing around. Ill have to have electric run but prior to that ill put in steel studs every 16 " run electric through pvc or conduits. Ill have some plumbing to run as well. Some I can do but figured about $1000.00 to have it done. Im going to weld channels in the ceiling and floors. I will spray in foam insulation, trimming it flush with steel studs, then I will slide in ceiling panels and wall panels. Into the channels I welded in. Spray foam $350.00. Wall and ceiling panels with labor around $600.00. I devide the rooms up as I get time. Set the kitchen up as I go. The kitchen will be a separate but attached 10 x 8 x 20 container with breakfast bar and 6 stools. It can be opened to allow maximum airflow, but will be screened to prevent insects. When not in use sliding doors will secure it at night. There will be a patio off of the kitchen for extended living space. The bathroom will be a separate 10x8x20 container divided in half, men and women. A walk way will lead to the bathroom. Each bathroom will have a shower. The top of each container will be filled with either gravel or good soil for a roof top garden. This will act as a filtering system prior to run off from the rain. As the rain makes its way it will drop into another filter with charcoal. Itwill then make its way into a 5 thousand gallon tank set on a concrete slab. This tank will be shocked by a manual chlorine injection system system, me. This water will feed showers, kitchen bathroom. Should have plenty to allow the kid.to have a small pool. I think I wont know the real cost until I get there and really dig. These are estimates, some high some low.

• Like 4

Kuya John
Posted
Posted

This is starting to get interesting. Hope when you start the project you will be posting photographs.

Regards JB.

• Like 2

Thomas
Posted
Posted
Three steel doors.
Do you mean them, which are in the comtainers allready?

Otherwice you can reduce the cost much by using them   :)   and adjust them.

Of security reason I will want FEW entrances*, because they are weak spots.

*In a rather BIG house I suppouse I will need only:

Main entrance

Balcony door to a balcony, which is hard to get to without a ladder.

(A garage door, if I don't force myself to be satisfied with a carport   :)

• Like 2

stevewool
Posted
Posted

I have been looking at this too, have you thought about getting insulated containers, ie fridge containers they have all the insulation already, lots of great pictures on some sites of what people have built already,

• Like 2

WordsandMusic
Posted
Posted

I would weld one side of door if I used them and place a traditional steel door for looks next to the welded one. If I didn't want the door on the end I would either weld them shut or fix as an emergency exit only.

I prefer to insulate myself because I can keep chemicals in check often found in insulation, such as fomaldahide. You would want to deep clean inside and out with high pressure hot water using a down stream injector to apply soap. You would need to manually brush scrub all of it. No way to know what they carried or what chemicals they came in contact with.

• Like 2

jon1
Posted
Posted

It's very common to do on construction, military installations, etc. It would make a great temporary (5-10 year) structure. Maybe even longer if you put a protective elevated roof over the structure.

The deep cleaning would also be good for mold prevention (very common here).

I think that you can get a container for roughly $2000-3000.

• Like 1

Thomas
Posted
Posted (edited)

It's very common to do on construction, military installations, etc. It would make a great temporary (5-10 year) structure. Maybe even longer if you put a protective elevated roof over the structure.

The deep cleaning would also be good for mold prevention (very common here).

I think that you can get a container for roughly $2000-3000.

Yes, big problem with mold in Phils.

In SWEDEN I have one container BUILT to be a house from start., with issolation built in (styrofoam sheets.) I have had it 24 years and it was at least 2 owners BEFORE I bought it. It's still alive   :)   but start to be in some bad shape.

Edited by Thomas
  • Like 3