Container Homes And Prefabs

JJReyes
Posted
Posted (edited)

My wife and I are in Southern Arizona where there are hundreds of mobile home parks for retirees. Some gated communities have more than 1,000 units. We looked at a model home during Sunday Open House. The selling price for the brand new unit in the first photograph is $49,500 one bedroom. It includes furniture and appliances, car port and a large locker/shed. The homes are built at a factory and delivered to the mobile home park. The dimensions are similar to a 40 foot container with a roof and insulation.

The second photograph is a 40 foot container converted into a retirement home. I don't know the costs.

post-1632-0-94154700-1418777012_thumb.jp

post-1632-0-48056400-1418777029_thumb.jp

Edited by JJReyes
  • Like 4

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted

My latest experience with having a home built here shows me that low roofs turn homes into ovens here.  Insulation and airconditioning are not going to keep up with the heat.  So I would suggest building a high false roof over any shipping container home that you erect here.  Doesn't have to be much as you are primarily providing a shaded, cool space.  If you are going cheap then perhaps a nipa awning over the whole structure?

• Like 5

WordsandMusic
Posted
Posted

The beauty of spray on foam insulation is it adheres tightly, eliminating the moisture and air between the container and the foam.

Externally, you can spray the container with a ceramic coating paint. It not only keeps the container cool by absorbing/ dispersing the heat, but it seals the container giving added protection from the elements. increasing the life of the container. Also these containers are made to take apart from eachother and the foundation. If need be you can lift one out and replace it. Yes you could add a roof and still have enough square feet to gather water for the tank. check out what Bob Villa has done with shipping containers in hurricane prone Florida, you have to google it.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
stevewool
Posted
Posted

While on my last trip over to the Phils, we was traveling around Laguna and i saw a container house, it looked like there was 4 containers built together single story, and you know what it looked like , Sipping containers, if they just had planted around them maybe a false roof too then they may have jumped out at you thinking WOW,

Not for me just yet maybe something to look at at a later date

• Like 2

Roy-Conny Skailand
Posted
Posted

I have been doing some research to on this and there is at least 2 companys in Manila who provide Container houses.... I wold use 3 ore 4 containers. set them apart and have livingroom in the center. A roof going over it all and bedrooms, kitxhen and so on inside the containers....

• Like 3

fred
Posted
Posted (edited)
I have been doing some research to on this and there is at least 2 companys in Manila who provide Container houses.... I wold use 3 ore 4 containers. set them apart and have livingroom in the center. A roof going over it all and bedrooms, kitxhen and so on inside the containers....

Like this?

Its a good idea.!

The only thing I would do differently is a higher roof pitch with a ridge vent and a longer eves to shade the walls..

No need to go crazy insulating stuff. Good airflow in the roof would suffice IMO.

Perhaps just a little insulation on container top.

bamboogroves-2.jpg

%202009%20April%2005%20135701.jpg

Edited by fred
  • Like 4

Roy-Conny Skailand
Posted
Posted

Yes something like that. Airflow is key including shade for the side walls so it dosent end opp being an owen. I might even do a celing...

There are so many options. Is there anyone here who have done this and hav pictures to share from Philippines?

• Like 1

Thomas
Posted
Posted

Yes something like that. Airflow is key including shade for the side walls so it dosent end opp being an owen. I might even do a celing...

There are so many options. Is there anyone here who have done this and hav pictures to share from Philippines?

I would put some issolation under the metal roof with air flow BOTH

between the metal and the issolation

and under the issolation.

Not in the Philippines, but I have a container house in Sweden as extension and it become a bit hot even in Swedish summers, although it HAS 10 cm styrofoam issolation, but NO air flow either above or under the issolation. (Made like that in prefab.)

Concerning celing a guy has build an issolated economic house in Thailand, not needing aircon, only slow fans. He HAS celing, but with good ventilation leting warm air UP to the top of the roof, where he has a ventilation leting it out.

• Like 1

lonewolf
Posted
Posted

fred I like very much the pics of this idea it looks solid but open and cool. the containers look like great weight bearing structure for roof. and I agree the longer over hangs would be great.

• Like 2

Roy-Conny Skailand
Posted
Posted

I watched a program on youtube. These two guys known from Discovery, green mechanics ore something? Anyway we follow them from buying 3 small containers and building it in the parkinglot of a university. It turned out great inside. They tested 3 types of insulation.... all did good on the thermal test. It was cool to see how they did it although it was for a cold climate.

How mutch do we have to pay here for a big container?

• Like 1