Container Homes And Prefabs

WordsandMusic
Posted
Posted

I have five years invested in my design and all my suppliers are local, Cebu Bionic builder supply carries most of everything I need, including Epoxy floor covering. They will also help manage the project. Sub-contractors will be used once the job forman is acquired. I am aware of the different standards and of Filipino time. I'm not in a hurry and I'm really an easy going person. I relish the fact and the opportunity to dive deep into Filipino time. Biofoam insulation in Cebu will do all the spray foam insulation. And again I refer you to Bob Villa and the container homes he built in Florida. It's not difficult to put a happy face on shipping containers, its just that some don't want to, or don't know how. And as far as permits, my wife's uncle, who is a Lawyer told me he thinks he can help with paper work. His wife is a real-estate agent, she is going to make sure my wife's property has clear title when we purchase it.  I've tried to cover all the bases but It is still risky I know.  My wife likes the design we have selected but we are flexible. I even found a supplier of double pain windows to help insulate. Really Philippines has everything we have, its just the poor have no need to use any of it. Cebu-Bionic has a great web site you do all your ordering from on line if you like and they are very helpful in answering questions.

NOTHING VENTURED--NOTHING GAINED!

• Like 1

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted

Well good luck Word. Let us know how it goes :cheersty:

• Like 1

Thomas
Posted
Posted

I have five years invested in my design and all my suppliers are local, Cebu Bionic builder supply carries most of everything I need, including Epoxy floor covering. They will also help manage the project. Sub-contractors will be used once the job forman is acquired. I am aware of the different standards and of Filipino time. I'm not in a hurry and I'm really an easy going person. I relish the fact and the opportunity to dive deep into Filipino time. Biofoam insulation in Cebu will do all the spray foam insulation. And again I refer you to Bob Villa and the container homes he built in Florida. It's not difficult to put a happy face on shipping containers, its just that some don't want to, or don't know how. And as far as permits, my wife's uncle, who is a Lawyer told me he thinks he can help with paper work. His wife is a real-estate agent, she is going to make sure my wife's property has clear title when we purchase it.  I've tried to cover all the bases but It is still risky I know.  My wife likes the design we have selected but we are flexible. I even found a supplier of double pain windows to help insulate. Really Philippines has everything we have, its just the poor have no need to use any of it. Cebu-Bionic has a great web site you do all your ordering from on line if you like and they are very helpful in answering questions.

How about the COST?

No point inventing, if it don't make something better    :)

(As I wrote earlier, I find it interesting IF it can need to be MOVED later.)

• Like 1

lonewolf
Posted
Posted

good luck and give us picture progress thanks

Roy-Conny Skailand
Posted
Posted (edited)

I love this place/house

10849963_808939332524725_565260083559047

Maby not buildt with containers but culd Be? And safe for strong wind :-)

Edited by Dave Hounddriver
  • Like 3

Gerald Glatt
Posted
Posted
I love this place/house  

:chickendance: what is par for the roof :emostrongbow:

• Like 1

WordsandMusic
Posted
Posted

Roy looks like we're the only two with container vision! Not to be confused with Tunnel vision. That is nearly a perfect scenario for a container house. However, the land must be wide open with a road wide enough to support the transport of the container. It really isn't that far fetched to do something creative and functional using containers. The biggest obstacles are not the logistics, it's the corruption and all the a--s you have to kiss to make it happen. If the government wanted to, they could make twenty foot containers available to many of the poor. Show them how to set them up, or better yet create a few hundred jobs having these things set up for the poor. I hear some have been set up by the Government in Manila somewhere. I'm currently having conversations with some of my more influential Filipino friends here in the states. I've been getting feed back and some leads on land, and other connections that may help. One Doctor hear seems to really be interested in helping me out so I hope that comes through. These folks still have a lot of pull back in the Philippines and seem to enjoy that position. 

• Like 2

Thomas
Posted
Posted

Extra problem/expensive to keep FLAT roofs tight. Mine has needed supplement treating several times in 20 years. Not much work each time, but rather often, because it's hard to make avoid it crack when material change size by the big heat/cold switches we have in Sweden during a year  (= plus 40 C in sun to minus 30 C.)  But I suppouse less problem with that in Phils   :)

The biggest obstacles are not the logistics, it's the corruption and all the a--s you have to kiss to make it happen.
I did read the building permit laws a year ago and as I understood it NO BUILDING PERMIT needed if it's outside planned area in town/villages. I don't remember if it's any restrictions, but no permit for what I plan to build.

BUT perhaps you need TRANSPORT PERMIT.  (Timber logs need permits to transport, so perhaps it's the same for all heavy transports?)

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
newyorkmind
Posted
Posted

This is a great idea. Please keep us posted with the progress and pics if possible. Thanks!

• Like 1

fred
Posted
Posted

its the cost , maybe it could be cheaper to build a block house, but who knows till you start the build, the cost of what we are building and the quality i am happy with,

Steve makes a great point. Unless it an intellectual exercise and fun to talk about and speculate. I really don't understand why we are reinventing the wheel here. Our new construction house using local material is a 2 story concrete block house with 1800 square feet of living area, 2 bedroom, a man cave (that will be the 3rd bedroom) 2 baths, a living room, an upstairs sitting room, nice kitchen and a dirty kitchen. 3 rooms airconed. We got that including labor and materials for about 4 million pesos. Now if I saw a cost breakdown and a layout that matched that, I might reconsider. 

I would be afraid that steve has the right of it

loooked just like a bunch of containers stacked close together,
. Anyway you cut it you would be living in a used metal box lol :cheersty:

3 reasons why they are worth more investigation here in the ring of fire IMO.

1. They are fire proof.

2. They will not shake apart or cave in, in an earthquake.

3. Once anquored to the ground I`d say they are tough enough to take on a super typhoon.

• Like 3