Container Homes And Prefabs

stevewool
Posted
Posted

I have been doing some research to on this and there is at least 2 companys in Manila who provide Container houses.... I wold use 3 ore 4 containers. set them apart and have livingroom in the center. A roof going over it all and bedrooms, kitxhen and so on inside the containers....

Like this?

Its a good idea.!

The only thing I would do differently is a higher roof pitch with a ridge vent and a longer eves to shade the walls..

No need to go crazy insulating stuff. Good airflow in the roof would suffice IMO.

Perhaps just a little insulation on container top.

bamboogroves-2.jpg

%202009%20April%2005%20135701.jpg

I have seen this and it does look amazing too, but seeing how things can be built here and the cost too, its not the road i would go down,

• Like 2

lonewolf
Posted
Posted

I agree steve in phils I might not build exactly like photos, but I d like the idea to build a compound wit living quarters around under the one roof and giving good shade. the containers would be good support structure for roof support and allowing containers to be cooler.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
WordsandMusic
Posted
Posted

Anyone still looking to use shipping containers besides me on here?  By the way using a spray on insulation will eliminate condensation and mold growth inside the shipping container. You could also spray the outside or use full sheets of insulation glued to the outside with liquid nails. After you insulate the outside what I was planning to do was run roll sheets of wire mesh, what is used for stucco, down the outside of the container, spot weld it in place, then have the outside stuccoed in some color. Add a traditional roof or a large patio/balcony to the top. I like the balcony idea so I can fill the top with pea gravel to help clean the rain water I catch as run off for my 5000gl, water tank. 

• Like 2

lonewolf
Posted
Posted

there is also a coating that is painted they use on roofing that keep building 40 degrees cooler. I don t know the name of it but was in article I read sometime or other.

stevewool
Posted
Posted

Like anything in life , its the cost , maybe it could be cheaper to build a block house, but who knows till you start the build, the cost of what we are building and the quality i am happy with,

I have only seen i container home over in the Phils, and you know what it loooked just like a bunch of containers stacked close together,

• Like 1

Gerald Glatt
Posted
Posted
, its the cost , maybe it could be cheaper to build a block house, but who knows till you start the build, the cost of what we are building and the quality i am happy with,

Ir is all fun to look at when not doing it to live in.  I have looked at solid walls earth homes container homes and prefabs.  The most innovative thing I have seen done in Fil is a flat roof built like a bridge section so it is waterproof and useful as a deck.  Along with your photos could you give us a rough idea of cost per mtr2, your home seem to be coning together fast.

• Like 1

Thomas
Posted
Posted
Anyone still looking to use shipping containers besides me on here?
In Sweden I have one as an extension,

but in Phils I would only think of one, if I would expect I will have to MOVE it, because in Phils the labour cost is low, so normal houses can be built for less.

And metal become hoter than stone   :)

• Like 1

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted
its the cost , maybe it could be cheaper to build a block house, but who knows till you start the build, the cost of what we are building and the quality i am happy with,

Steve makes a great point. Unless it an intellectual exercise and fun to talk about and speculate. I really don't understand why we are reinventing the wheel here. Our new construction house using local material is a 2 story concrete block house with 1800 square feet of living area, 2 bedroom, a man cave (that will be the 3rd bedroom) 2 baths, a living room, an upstairs sitting room, nice kitchen and a dirty kitchen. 3 rooms airconed. We got that including labor and materials for about 4 million pesos. Now if I saw a cost breakdown and a layout that matched that, I might reconsider. 

I would be afraid that steve has the right of it

loooked just like a bunch of containers stacked close together,
. Anyway you cut it you would be living in a used metal box lol :cheersty:
  • Like 2

WordsandMusic
Posted
Posted

Container house can be airtight, well insulated with spray on insulation and Stucco outside, making it twice as cool as a leaky block home. Better control over electric and cooling when you start out airtight. Better security inside and out. Doors and windows better reinforced. You can build a safe right into the design, for keeping valuables. Those picture you folks are looking at are of container houses that are wide open to everything. Not practical in the Philis. When I go to sleep at night I have Fort knox around me. Incorporate an alarms system, even homemade with cans and string is better than no security at all.  Better protection from all weather, wether it be a hurricane or a typhoon or title-wave. A container house on concrete pillars isn't going anywhere. On top of that, once you have your containers in place you go in and pour your floors using concrete. All bedrooms and kitchen as well as the main floor are concrete. You can use epoxy coating to cover the concrete any color you like for decoration. But the place will be a fortress when your done. You can create some great outdoor space by building a screened porch attached to the container, which would include you dirty kitchen. Restrooms and showers would be a 20' container a few meters from the main house. well ventilated and his and hers designations. Shower would be off on one end, closest to 5000 gallon water tank. Water would be available using a simple down pressure system and you could use a chlorine water shocking system if you like to further purify the water that has been filter twice already before going into the tank. Everything is simple straight forward and practical, even the Filipino standards. The best part is you will never know they are shipping containers. Take a look at what Bob Villa was doing a few years ago in Florida, those containers home where beautiful and quickly built.  The great part is you only have to use one container at a time. Live in it while you add the others.  I'm just saying!

• Like 1

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted (edited)
Live in it while you add the others. I'm just saying!

I hear ya Word, I hear ya. Not saying it can't or hasn't been done. But during the whole discussion I really have not seen anything about cost vs benefits. To paraphrase Jerry Maquire "Show me the Numbers!!!" lolol.

Here are some concerns that I would look into before going ahead with a container type house:

1. Permits? Are containers type houses even allowed in the area being considered. If it is a subdivision the HOA might have something to say about it. If the reaction is "who really needs permits in the Philippines?" well Expats do, all it would take is one disgruntled neighbor to complain to the barangay and WHAMO, the officials will be all over the project, either to shut it down or their hands out.

2. Materials? I noticed some materials and insulation and stuff being mentioned to make the containers cooler or safer or what not. Are they even available in the Philippines? If so at what cost? If imported or specialized the cost might push the project right out the window.

3. Construction crew? If there are any specialized tasks that need to be done, are those skills going to be available in the area? at what cost? If the response is "I'll show them what to do", be warned, if you explain something the average Filipino will nod say "yes" and you will think all is well. I have learned that "yes" is the default answer here, even if they do not understand either to get you off their backs or not to look ignorant. I know this from personal experience when constructing out home. So close and constant supervision is required on specialized tasks.

4. Appearance? It must be assumed that an expat will not be living in the home by himself. Consider that "face" is very important to the Filipino. While us westerners will say "4 walls, a roof, a toilet and an air conditioner, what else to I need?" and be happy. Unless the container house looks like the pictures shown above, will who ever is sharing the home be content?

Just some random thoughts :cheersty:

Edited by scott h
  • Like 1