Luxury Living In The Philippines

i am bob
Posted
Posted

I use to have a list of all the better clubs that were open later - 20 or so - but I dumped it as I always either ended up somewhere else or was done my night by 10... And now that I'm in Central Park and all my friends are married with kids, going out usually means to a friend's house or my place for them...

• Like 2

Placebo
Posted
Posted

Upper class ladies from established family's will not in any way ever give you a second glance. 

I know that thats the truth in almost every country in SEA, even though many ppl deny it..

Anyways,

Im wondering what the reasoning behind it is?

Is it that a foreigner just lacks the social status which a local man from the uppercalls will have, what makes foreigner men not interesting for female locals who belong to the upperclass?

Or what is it?

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted (edited)

Is it that a foreigner just lacks the social status which a local man from the uppercalls will have, what makes foreigner men not interesting for female locals who belong to the upperclass? Or what is it?

Why would they want to? Marrying a Foreinger to a middle or lower (economically speaking) class lady is like a gal in the west marrying a doctor or lawyer. Its a step up. The wealthy have no need to really improve their economic status, they have everything they really need or want as it is. So why get into a relationship with someone who a) doesn't speak your language, b) you really have nothing in common with culturally or socially or c) usually much older then them (refer to item c)

Edited by scott h
  • Like 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
Upper class ladies from established family's will not in any way ever give you a second glance

What age group do you mean?  I ask because I have had a doctor a dentist and a lawyer interested in me (during my time in Philippines) but they were each in their 50's (as am I) so would these be upper class ladies from established families?  In each case they were either widowed or separated from a previous relationship but that is to be expected with our ages.

• Like 2

afathertobe
Posted
Posted

I’ve not yet been to the Philippines and based on your feedback I now realise my requirements are a bit unrealistic. So thanks for saving me the trouble.

I will however head over there to a few of the places some of you have mentioned for a few weeks to take a look, as i’m very interested in visiting. The goal of this thread was to get some ideas on places to visit first and investigate as a potential place to move. 

No taxation on foreign-sourced income is also a primary consideration so it does limit me to Thailand, Phils, Singapore, Malaysia and HK. I’m also sticking around SE Asia as its close to my family in Australia. Singapore I don’t consider as a value proposition and can’t stand the heat/humidity, and it feels too much like a giant office park and shopping mall. 

Not interested in being a big fish in a small pond, just want the money i’m spending to get me some wow factor.

As for my primary motivation, as much as I do love Thailand, the best women I’ve met here so far tend to be from the Philippines! I find it's a much better cultural fit for me for a potential partner.

Let me first qualify my comments by stating that I have lived in Thailand (Chiang Mai and Bangkok) in the past and still have friends there. In my relatively short time visiting the Phils I have met a couple of expats who do well for themselves and got a notion of how much they spend for what. 

With that in mind I would suggest you better stay in Thailand. The Philippines simply doesn't have the same value proposition as TH, you will pay more for less. I know people paying in excess of 3'000USD/m for their apartment in Manila and while nice I wasn't impressed.

Thailand has a very large number of people with high spending power that create a demand for high end services, great restaurants, exciting clubs and a generally high quality of life that just doesn't exist here. While there are parts of Makati that are quite nice it doesn't compare to the nicer areas of Bangkok. Cebu has some nice areas and gated communities but after living in Thailand you'll get bored within a month.

The airports are terrible and the roads so congested that travelling to other places or a nearby beach becomes a pain I mostly avoid. The Philippines has many great sides but luxury living is most certainly not among them. 

• Like 1

davewe
Posted
Posted

Upper class ladies from established family's will not in any way ever give you a second glance. 

I know that thats the truth in almost every country in SEA, even though many ppl deny it..

Anyways,

Im wondering what the reasoning behind it is?

Is it that a foreigner just lacks the social status which a local man from the uppercalls will have, what makes foreigner men not interesting for female locals who belong to the upperclass?

Or what is it?

The question for me still would be (and I think it was asked before) why do you want "upper class" (whatever the hell that is)? It's not an issue of why she might not want you so much as why you need her? Are you looking at it from a standpoint of her economic, political or social power and if so why?

If you just have a notion that an upper class Pinay can be hot, well then you need to go to the Philippines first. Women from all the economic or social classes are hot there!

• Like 2

MacBubba
Posted
Posted
I know that thats the truth in almost every country in SEA, even though many ppl deny it.. Anyways, Im wondering what the reasoning behind it is? Is it that a foreigner just lacks the social status which a local man from the uppercalls will have, what makes foreigner men not interesting for female locals who belong to the upperclass? Or what is it?

It is not that they do not find foreign men interesting.  They are intrigued by foreign men, but to some, there is a stigma attached to being with one.  I know this will not go over well, but the upper class do not look up to the type of Filipinas that foreign men usually end up associating with.  By dint of snobbery, they do not want to be seen in the same light as the others that that the foreigner may have liaised with.

Now, if said foreign man had previously associated with only upper class women, he gains acceptance into their circles.  Unless he proves to be a cad of course.

And, if the Filipina happens to meet the man she marries while she is abroad, nobody gives it another thought.  With the preponderance of foreign men and slim pickings among Filipinos, the choice is easy.

• Like 5

i am bob
Posted
Posted

I think MacBubba hit it bang on...  When in country, it's a matter of class for both sides...  If a gentleman is not of the same class or above, then he is not a prospective to be met.

:tiphat:  :mocking:

• Like 3

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted
I know that thats the truth in almost every country in SEA, even though many ppl deny it.. Anyways, Im wondering what the reasoning behind it is?   Is it that a foreigner just lacks the social status which a local man from the uppercalls will have, what makes foreigner men not interesting for female locals who belong to the upperclass? Or what is it?

For what I know of upper-class family's in the Cebu area you would be correct. 

If the Foreigner had real wealth you would think that some would be interested. Most family's only want a Filipino or Chinese Filipino who holds a "known" name. As in anything there would surely be exceptions.

• Like 2

Placebo
Posted
Posted

Is it that a foreigner just lacks the social status which a local man from the uppercalls will have, what makes foreigner men not interesting for female locals who belong to the upperclass? Or what is it?

Why would they want to? Marrying a Foreinger to a middle or lower (economically speaking) class lady is like a gal in the west marrying a doctor or lawyer. Its a step up. The wealthy have no need to really improve their economic status, they have everything they really need or want as it is. So why get into a relationship with someone who a) doesn't speak your language, b) you really have nothing in common with culturally or socially or c) usually much older then them (refer to item c)

Im 29 years old (though thats already not sooo young in SEA actually) - nut imo even if you would be younger and would speak the local language, then still your point b.) is likely a big one + imo the social status-thing...