Borrow, Lend, Or Just Give It Away

Thomas
Posted
Posted

foriegners marrying Filipinas, should be made aware of the downside of the Filipino culture.
I think IF a foreigner marry a Filipina without knowing of the main differences, then they married TO FAST   :mocking:

When you get to my age, time is precious  :hystery:

Better use it wice then    :dance:       

=by checking the main BEFORE marriage

(I'm over 60 too and I have told my gf I will need AT LEAST 4 months meeting daily before I can decide finaly if we - including family-in-law   :)   -  suit enough to marry.

bows00
Posted
Posted

Since they don't have a viable retirement system (i.e., like the US Social Insecurity), I wouldn't mind helping out with the parents, only if they are smart enough to properly manage the money themselves. However, if the parents show signs that they are irresponsible and start giving the money away before buying their essentials (like rent, food, utilities), then I would resort to other means to provide support. A good suggestion is to buy them food, pay their rent, etc...

I think it is very important that you and your Filipina are on the same page when it comes to money. Money is still the number one cause of divorce in the US, and I can see it causing internal stress and separation in the Philippines. Be open on how much income you have each month and set an amount for just giving.

And no, I would not lend any money to any relative, especially if you value your relationship. I always give it away, unless I have other reasons not to.

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

Since they don't have a viable retirement system (i.e., like the US Social Insecurity),

Well it may be Minimal and Adhoc in Payments but  there is an Age related pension scheme and is operated  by the DSSW?

Also of course there is the SSS system

The information on this is obscure but there is a something however little but like in most Countries many are to Ashamed to go and inquire.

link for  SSS For anyone Interested.

https://www.sss.gov.ph/sss/appmanager/pages.jsp?page=retirement

http://twentyfive.hubpages.com/hub/SSS-Benefits-Philippines-Social-Security-System-Benefits

http://fitzvillafuerte.com/senior-citizen-benefits-and-person-with-disability-privileges-in-the-philippines.html

I was amazed at what they can get. But they Gotta go and inquire. ( no where near what we get but help is there.)

my MIL tells us each month what she has received and what she spent and My Wife tops up her Purse to a decent level.

That's us though.

JP :tiphat:

• Like 1

Thomas
Posted
Posted
if the parents show signs that they are irresponsible and start giving the money away before buying their essentials (like rent, food, utilities), then I would resort to other means to provide support. A good suggestion is to buy them food, pay their rent, etc...
Perhaps buy them a sack of BROWN rice to reduce the risk they will need much hospital care, but risk it isn't popular   :mocking:     (I eat brown rice almost allways myself, because there aren't most of the nutrision taken away.)  
Well it may be Minimal and Adhoc in Payments but there is an Age related pension scheme and is operated by the DSSW? Also of course there is the SSS system The information on this is obscure but there is a something
I haven't read any official info about the amout, but I have been told the President said the MIMIMUM is 3000p per month per person,

but in Lapu-Lapu they get only 1500p, so the younger relative suppouse the local politicians have snatched the other half...

Filipino "retirement age" is 60*, but it's some flexible 60-65.

* 60. :th_unfair:   :)   In Sweden it's 65 and changing to older    :boohoo:

earthdome
Posted
Posted
The Philippine LAW say help HAVE TO be given to relatives in need IF they have made their best to solve their own problems. (Retired by age HAVE done that.)

Thomas - What the law says and what actually happens are two different things. If a law is not enforced then it really isn't a law. Do you have any evidence that this law has ever been enforced more than in a few token cases?

• Like 1

Thomas
Posted
Posted

The Philippine LAW say help HAVE TO be given to relatives in need IF they have made their best to solve their own problems. (Retired by age HAVE done that.)

Thomas - What the law says and what actually happens are two different things. If a law is not enforced then it really isn't a law. Do you have any evidence that this law has ever been enforced more than in a few token cases?

No, but I don't want to risk to end up in a Filipino jail.   If comparing with traffic rules, it's much biger risk a law will be enforced against a foreigner...   :mocking:

• Like 2

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

No, but I don't want to risk to end up in a Filipino jail.   If comparing with traffic rules, it's much biger risk a law will be enforced against a foreigner... 

Thomas, I understand what you are saying, but they are Not your parents are they? they are your Wife's

Not sure even as Foreigner can be guilty of a failure to comply with a Law designed for Filipinos to look after their parents.

Thomas
Posted
Posted

No, but I don't want to risk to end up in a Filipino jail.   If comparing with traffic rules, it's much biger risk a law will be enforced against a foreigner... 

Thomas, I understand what you are saying, but they are Not your parents are they? they are your Wife's

Not sure even as Foreigner can be guilty of a failure to comply with a Law designed for Filipinos to look after their parents.

I don't know if the foreigner can be found guilty to this,

BUT in some other laws about economics husband + wife is counted as SAME juridical person.

So perhaps the Philippine laws see it as the husband have to support the wife enough so she can support her parents enough... (Her share.)   In Filipino TRADITION the richer are suppoused to contribute more, so I wouldn't be suprised if the law system have such conclusions too.

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

BUT in some other laws about economics husband + wife is counted as SAME juridical person.

Can't see it in this instance Thomas, that would be like saying your wife crashed to car but they will Charge you because you happened to be in it at the time. Or Sat at at home even, watching TV.

NAH! I think you will Find the Onus on this, is for the immediate Blood Family Not in-laws

I mean if your Wife Kills the Mother or the Father in a Fit of Temper, you are not Guilty are you. (Well unless you were Part of the crime)  :rolleyes:

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
like saying your wife crashed to car but they will Charge you because you happened to be in

If you own the car they just might.  Even in Canada the owner is responsible for the actions of anyone driving their car, unless they report it stolen.