Older Expat's, Will Moving To Philippines Lower Life Expectancy?

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

Would moving to Philippines lower an older Expat's life expectancy?  

Generally speaking there are few quality hospitals or clinics in Philippines. In most cases there are little or no EMT or Aid first responders or ambulances to provide quick safe transportation. Cash for treatment could be a problem in any case.

There's always the ongoing risk for older guys getting busy with young Filipina partners "dying with their boots on".  :1 (235):

What do you guys living in Philippines think?

Topic suggested by Scott h post;

" The sad fact is chances are that by retiring to the Philippines you are probably lowering your life expectancy. Unless you live very, very close to a hospital and have a heart attack, you'll probably die in traffic :hystery: ."

• Like 3

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted
In most cases there are little or no EMT or Aid first responders or ambulances to provide quick safe transportation

We live off a street that leads to a local public hospital so we see ambulances heading there all the time. Unlike what we are used to, a lot of the time drivers do not make way for them, or if they do it is with great reluctance :unsure: . I can not count the number of times I have seen private cars or trikes screaming down the street with horn blaring and emergency lights flashing. Obviously the thought it was faster to take a private vehicle then wait for an ambulance.

Speaking of ambulances, I know there is an emergency number, but once we had a lady have a seizure in our street. It was actually faster for me to walk to the barangay hall and tell the night people there to get an ambulance than to call one.

Generally speaking there are few quality hospitals or clinics in Philippines.

Sadly if you do not live in one of the metropolitan areas I believe this to be the case. If you have a chronic health problem which requires regular attention, have good health insurance, live near one of the better hospitals, you should be fine. If not, well as the saying goes, "you pays your moneys and takes your chances :whistling: "

Cash for treatment could be a problem in any case.

Now I can not speak for all health insurance policies or hospitals that honor them. But I have very, very good health insurance, and we utilize a very, very good hospital. But we still have to pay for treatment up front, submit the paperwork and wait for reimbursement.

The reason I bring this out, is that if you do have a health condition and have insurance make sure you have a sizable nest egg or there might be difficulties.

• Like 5

chris49
Posted
Posted

Would moving to Philippines lower an older Expat's life expectancy?  

Generally speaking there are few quality hospitals or clinics in Philippines. In most cases there are little or no EMT or Aid first responders or ambulances to provide quick safe transportation. Cash for treatment could be a problem in any case.

There's always the ongoing risk for older guys getting busy with young Filipina partners "dying with their boots on".  :1 (235):

What do you guys living in Philippines think?

Topic suggested by Scott h post;

" The sad fact is chances are that by retiring to the Philippines you are probably lowering your life expectancy. Unless you live very, very close to a hospital and have a heart attack, you'll probably die in traffic :hystery: ."

Excellent choice of topic. I think clearly a topic for a Master's Degree, or PH. D level thesis.

Hard to answer. But don't mind making a few comments.

1. In the Philippines there is a big discrepancy between the facilities, but that doesn't mean the Doctor's themselves are deficient. I go to very small local public hospital and the Doctor's know me. And the head man is a top graduate from UST, Manila. I like the guy and can txt him if really needed, drop by his house and pay 300-400 for the visit. And it helps that Im a nurse with some knowledge to fall back on.

2. Going to the Philippines with pre existing medical conditions is a risk. Even flying can present a risk. And the Dr doesn't know you or your case. If he's in Metro Manila he will weigh all that up and start overcharging you. Caveat emptor, that's the way it is.

3. Some guys above have insurance. You can't get insurance at age 65 for pre-existing conditions. If you had it at home you probably shouldn't leave. And yes the Philippines does have high levels of care, but you are going to pay big time.

4. I wouldn't expect first line medical response to save your life here.  Ditto at home. your chances of survival are also not great, but definitely better, New Zealand has one of the best paramedic/EMT system's in the world, but in rural USA you might get 2 old guys driving an ambulance, one in the back and that's it. Or in the city you get the higher level.

5. If your life expectancy is less, and I do believe it might be, that is your own fault. The Philippines is a Third World country. While in fact there is a higher level of care here, if you can't afford it, it is your own fault.

I broke my arm 2 days ago and reported to Magsingal Hospital. i know most of the nurses and the Doc on duty knew me. They transferred me to a private hospital in Vigan where they had x ray and ortho Doc. We paid 1100 pesos for everything inc x ray and pain inj and Dr's fee. 200 for the ambulance transfe,r and 500 for meds at another  Pharmacy.

• Like 5

Thomas
Posted
Posted (edited)
Someone once said the difference between happy and joy is money. Can you buy happiness? Yes you can!

How come a big part of the very rich are unhappy then?   :)    Specialy many of the kids to rich parents.

But money can assist AVOIDING UNhappiness  (=Have enough to the necesary and a bit more.)

Edited by Thomas
  • Like 4