Age Doesn't Matter... Really???

Thomas
Posted
Posted

Science say normal brains aren't ready, not mature enough for a long time relation before around 25 anyway.

"Science" must not know some of the old men I have met.  In certain circumstances the girl is more mature than the man when she is 17.  Its the guy who is not mature enough for a long term relationship before around 52 errrr 25 I mean  :morning1:

Yes, but science DIDN'T say ALL become mature at that age - or ever   :)

davewe
Posted
Posted

I am still in the US. Today went out to breakfast. I saw an extremely beautiful young filipina and man clearly close to his 70s with a child of about 9 years old. They were sitting next to my table. They were having a great time. They were actually talking more than most other couples in the restaurant. And the child was just as involved in the conversation. This is definitely proof age only matters if you let it. They were definitely happy. Color me jealous

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Sounds like you were in my town. My friend is 72, married to his 32 year old wife for about 10 years and they have a 9 year old. Happy as clams.

• Like 1

bob33809
Posted
Posted

Lutz Florida

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

davewe
Posted
Posted

I was married twice before to two women in their 30s who were mature. Geez, why would I ever want mature again :) Certain forms of maturity are overrated.

I will say that despite the fact that I am 62 and my wife is 27, that I do believe that at some level, age does matter. Human beings are self-aware enough to realize laws of average and make predictions about what is supposed to happen at certain points in life. We go to school at certain ages, get married and have kids at certain ages, build a career at a certain age, get old and retire (if lucky) at a certain age, and die at a certain age.

And yet, despite our knowledge of actuarial tables and laws of average, we don't know what all those things will happen to us. Could I have predicted 5 years ago that I would marry again, let a long to a woman 35 years younger - no way. And yet I do tell my young wife, who wants kids, that we are better off doing it sooner rather than later, based on my age and the law of averages. And I tell her that we are better off retiring sooner, rather than later, again based on those pesky laws of average.

I try to figure it out; she takes the more mature Filipina attitude to live for the now, because there are no guarantees of tomorrow.

• Like 3

earthdome
Posted
Posted

I've been told by some fromer friends and even family (referencing my young Pinay wife) who came here to the US about a year ago on a K-1.."What could you 2 possibly have in common" Some of these so called marriage experts (one married to a grouchy obese cranky woman who just gives us the stink eye) wonder what's up with the young asian gal?!. Here in the mid-west (the last bastion of old school conformity thinking) it can be a bit entertaining seeing some reactions of some of these people....anyway, I tend to subscribe to the "opposites attract" rule of thumb much, much more so than what do you have in common school of thought. We have fun with it and the honeymoon is never over. Total acceptance and commitment are 2 things we both DO have in common though. I love breaking the "Western" rules here. Meanwhile the "conformists" continue to fight in their marriages, live in mysery, and eventually many just part ways. Hmm woe is me...

I have been back in the US midwest for 6 months now with my 32 year old wife (I am 59). This is my first marriage and as far as I can tell my family is very happy for us and welcomed my wife into the family.

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
riburn3
Posted
Posted

I would argue age matters much less in the Philippines than it does in most Western countries.  Just a simple walk through any mall throughout the Philippines will show you a display of western men with Filipina woman often up to 50 years their junior.  You'd be hard pressed to find this anywhere in the Western world with such frequency.  The first time I went to the Philippines with my wife in my mid 20's (we are also only 3 years apart in age), I was blown away by how many old dudes were with much younger women.  At first I was kind of disgusted, but then realized both partners are getting something good out of the relationship (on the surface at least), and then became envious that these old guys were basically getting a reset on their relationships with a beautiful woman, while getting to live in a great tropical country.  People can hate, but to be blunt, for most men that's called "living the dream".

Back on topic, today when I am in the Philippines and sitting alone at the mall while my wife is shopping, it's very common for women to approach me.  I assume it's because I'm 20-30 years younger than the average white guy they typically see hanging around, but with how forward some of these woman are, I'm sure it happens to westerners of all ages.  When we took our friends two years ago to the Philippines, my single guy friends had a field day, especially when we were hanging out in the province.

chris49
Posted
Posted (edited)

Older man, younger woman. Yeah you see that in the Philippines, even to the extent of quite elderly. perhaps disabled, but still with the young wife.

That does not go over so well in Australia and is likely to attract negative comments. That's the thinking of some people and Aussies would let you know what they think. Usually not in a nice way.

I said above in this thread, we have a 39 year gap. Of course I'm retired and could not support a wife and 2 kids in Australia, but if the situation did arise. I could see the woman thinking "This guy has been very good to me, but he hasn't prepared anything for our future, maybe while I'm still young I should look around for more long term security"

And from the man's standpoint "I've given her everything I can possibly give, but it still might not be enough". So there's sure to be a conflict there.

Gina has no idea to immigrate, but she might one day. If that's the case, if ever, I will either be gone or on my mid to late 80's. The kids can bring her out if they so desire. I assume they will live in the US by then.

**I'm a Dual Citizen.

Edited by chris49
  • Like 1

Methersgate
Posted
Posted (edited)

gallery_4318_276_7675.jpg

"You don't need a daughter - you've got me!"  :rolleyes:

Edited by Methersgate
  • Like 2

Jake
Posted
Posted

gallery_4318_276_7675.jpg

"You don't need a daughter - you've got me!"  :rolleyes:

Dang Andrew......another great shot of your lovely family!  By the way, I hope your son is having a great time as First Mate (at least), somewhere in the Asian waters.  To think back during our own adventure as young and foolish sailors, I'm surprise that we are still standing.  This is somewhat related to age but not within a relationship, although I must admit (as my shipmate Andrew can attest), having a young and vibrant companion will probably put us in the grave earlier but with a smile on our faces......he, he.  

Like I said about my 30 years of marriage, Judy's (Scorpion) sting gives me both pain and pleasure.  But that's OK with me, age finally got the best of me.  My hero Willy Nelson says it best (about age) -- hmmm.....I think I outlived my own pecker.

Also by the way, we all know who's the better class of the family.  She's drinking premium beer, a mark of a classy lady.  

Respectfully -- Jake

• Like 1