How Do You Talk To Your Girl When She Has Limited English ?

Ynot
Posted
Posted

My only advice is patience and if you are going to live in the Philippines you should learn the language as well, otherwise as others have said you will miss an opportunity to interact with your wifes friends!

• Like 3

Kuya John
Posted
Posted (edited)

As someone on the forum once said....It might be better not to learn the language as you might find out just what Filipino really think of Foreigners!  :cheersty:

spellcheck :unsure:

Edited by Kuya John
  • Like 5

OldUgly&Cranky
Posted
Posted

Thanks for the advice all !!! im trying my best to have patience but its not easy at times and yes i dont want to be hard on her but i can honestly say its not that she cant speak it or understand it when shes upset she can get her point across pretty clearly i can tell you that much lol , maybe we have reached a point where we realize that we dont have much in common and dont know what to talk about other then how was your day ? hows the weather ? meaningful talking and real comnication is few and far between ! we can be online together and its 5 mins or so between messages then i check her face book page and shes commenting to her friends about her latest selfie these are the same friends she just finished talking the pictures with ! just seems to me that she would rather do that then have real talk ? ive tried every kind of way to get her to open up more and have said just talk to me like you do when your with your friends , and if you dont understand what i say let me know and i'll try and say it in a different way , nothing seems to be working !!! there is a large age difference between us but im not using that as a reason or an excuse , because i know many other couples that have this between them but dont have the same issue ! not really sure what else i can do but maybe not chatting to her every day give it a day or 2 in between so thats theres things to talk about then maybe that would work i dont know , but all i can do is wait and see thanks all take care

O-U-C :thumbsup:

• Like 4

Thomas
Posted
Posted
there is a large age difference between us but im not using that as a reason or an excuse , because i know many other couples that have this between them but dont have the same issue ! not really sure what else i can do but maybe not chatting to her every day
How long time per day? And how long time have you done that?

If long, it isn't odd you run out of subjects.

It's some easier if the gf/wife has suiting humour, and you have done as I have done - collecting TRUE odd/funny stories almost whole my life. So I can get assistance from one of the books I have written   (not needed with my gf - yet   :)        If she need cheering up or if we would get stucked in conversation, I challenge myself  :)   by let her chose ANY subject and see if I can find some related  true odd/funny story in my memory.

maybe we have reached a point where we realize that we dont have much in common
Anyone can run out of subjects (temporary) if communicating much.

Have you had "personality test" type of conversation?     =Try to ask NOT LEADING questions about what she like and what goals she has.  Many gfs have a tendency to say what they BELIEVE we men want to hear, so our conversations have become some odd sometimes when I try to find out what she REALY think by asking in a confusing way   :lol:   

Do your gf's suit to yours?     Of course there are some differences, but are they unimportant enough to suit to marry each other?  Better find out before than after marriage    :)

• Like 2

MacBubba
Posted
Posted
i know learning the launguage will help but since im not there i find it hard to do that we talked about me learning some when im there

In Scarborough/Markham, I have heard of a school that teaches arnis to Filipino kids and perhaps even adults.  I think they also offer language lessons.  Perhaps they have something similar in your neck of the woods?  If you have Filipino friends, check with them.

• Like 3

bootleultras
Posted
Posted

I got lucky, my mrs speaks perfect English, no accent so every now and then when she slips up on her grammar it is more fun teasing her about it!

We were on a ship together go years and the best way I found to learn the language was for her to just speak only Tagalog when we were in our room together...... It was frustrating at first but over time definitely did the job for me!

She's obviously just shy mate, give her time and just continuously converse in English with her and it'll start to work i'm sure

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 4

OldUgly&Cranky
Posted
Posted

I got lucky, my mrs speaks perfect English, no accent so every now and then when she slips up on her grammar it is more fun teasing her about it!

We were on a ship together go years and the best way I found to learn the language was for her to just speak only Tagalog when we were in our room together...... It was frustrating at first but over time definitely did the job for me!

She's obviously just shy mate, give her time and just continuously converse in English with her and it'll start to work i'm sure

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

well its been 7 months mate lol

• Like 3

lonewolf
Posted
Posted

I ve been married to my ana 2 months so far and I m learning a lot from her. she always could write and understand English better than speak it. and I made it clear if she had any questions to ask them, explained to her the only dumb question is the one unasked, and that I would make corrections and that those were not critisms but was intended to help. after we were married I ve figured out part of the problem they look at English words and try to speak it using there phonics. I believe a hooked on phonics tape set would be a good expenditure in helping them learn to speak clearly . hope this helps its helping my ana

• Like 3

OldUgly&Cranky
Posted
Posted

well as i say lone its more to it then just speaking it or even understanding it , shes seems to be more concerned with her proile updates and responding to her friends then chatting or spending quality time !! maybe it would be different if i was there but who knows ?? anyway were taking a break from each other and if she really wants me she will make the effort , im not chasing after anyone thanks for the advice all !!!

O-U-C :thumbsup:

• Like 4