What Did It Cost To Build Your House, Not Counting The Land It's Sitting On?

tomaw
Posted
Posted (edited)

I realize this could be anything from a Nipa Hut to a mansion. So please give a description of your house as to size and construction materials etc. I know there is a similar topic on what WILL it cost to build a house, I think though we all will have a much better idea on what to expect from houses already built and any advice their owners would care to give from actual experience.

Edited by tomaw
  • Like 2

Guy F.
Posted
Posted

Putting it in cost per square meter would be a useful standard for comparison. I know you can get something built to western standards for P20,000 to P30,000 per sqm. No hollow blocks but rather solid concrete walls, including major appliances and fixtures.

• Like 1

chris49
Posted
Posted (edited)

Putting it in cost per square meter would be a useful standard for comparison. I know you can get something built to western standards for P20,000 to P30,000 per sqm. No hollow blocks but rather solid concrete walls, including major appliances and fixtures.

Let's keep in mind he said land no included. And let's say in a provincial area using "friendly" labour, family members or extended family. the neighbours who will work for less if food and refreshments provided each day.

I could squeeze that down to under P10,000 sqm. But finishing up to western standard not considered. Plumber and electrician brought in on short contracts. I act as the contractor and my wife the on site co ordinator, mother in law cooks, me and father in law and 2 bro in law as extra hands.

I have built 2 so far. But the first one had a deluxe finish and did cost as Guy F said. And I bought quality inclusions like granite counter tops, bathroom and kitchen fittings. The second house is not completely finished and in the province, an outdoor CR and shower, blocks and cement only, we used.

But by the time I built this place I had been here 7 years with considerable experience.

Ditto the building contractors, there is one rate for Metro areas, another rate for provincial.

Edited by chris49
  • Like 2

Guy F.
Posted
Posted

The building contractor the Mrs and I are dealing with is in Cebu. It's true that there is an additional charge to get them to work on other islands.

If you look around in these forums there are several horror stories from people who tried to manage the work themselves.

• Like 1

chris49
Posted
Posted

The building contractor the Mrs and I are dealing with is in Cebu. It's true that there is an additional charge to get them to work on other islands.

If you look around in these forums there are several horror stories from people who tried to manage the work themselves.

I cite my 10 years experience and the fact that we are on family land in a somewhat remote location.

Now you mention Cebu, a place I have never been, so I wouldn't take that on.

• Like 1

chris49
Posted
Posted

Here's where immediately you will get into trouble before you start, You do not get a contractor who is "willing" to work on other islands. You go to the site and hire a local guy with local laborers which will be cheaper. The contractor from Cebu will do that also. But you don't know that.

If a building permit is required from a local city hall, the mayor can write a stipulation that says local labor must be used.

• Like 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted

The richest expat in Naval Biliran built his mansion with contractors and labor from Tacloban.  It can be done if you are rich but why?  If you are rich enough and want extreme quality then sure, but the average guy should use local contractors, well most of us anyway.

• Like 1

intrepid
Posted
Posted (edited)

Built in 2006 for about P16,000 per square meter.

House is 4 bedroom 1.5 bath about 125 sq meter

post-1290-0-84491200-1434143395_thumb.jp

EPSON014.PDF

Edited by intrepid
  • Like 5

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted (edited)

We are in the process of building... I will let you know ha ha.

Estimate is p200,000 but is only 30 sqm, hollow block.  Here is a video from a few days ago. They are now done with the walls and ready to start on the roof.   P120,00 in supplies, p50,000 in labor.  Floor tiles and plumbing fixtures not included.  So about p6,666 USD  per meter.

https://youtu.be/8Co-39If9vU

Edited by Jollygoodfellow
embedded video
  • Like 2

chris49
Posted
Posted

We are in the process of building... I will let you know ha ha.

Estimate is p200,000 but is only 30 sqm, hollow block.  Here is a video from a few days ago. They are now done with the walls and ready to start on the roof.   P120,00 in supplies, p50,000 in labor.  Floor tiles and plumbing fixtures not included.  So about p6,666 USD  per meter.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Co-39If9vU

That fits with my 10,000 sqm and you have not included a few items. We never count in the food, but I see it later, about 800/day for lunch and the 2 merienda breaks, 4 litres of coke, bread and biscuits. It's tricky because we eat the same food, but easily double to triple our usual budget.

Then tiles and the laying of tiles. This is a 2 man show and can go on a bit longer than expected as they cut and fit the corners. I did invest in a grinder tile cutter with 2-3 blades, so you need an item like that.

We treat and seal the wood with Soligum, so things like that extend the work. But if you are lucky you get family members to do some.

• Like 2