Overstaying Your Visa.

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted

I know this American who has overstayed by 14 months. I have told him I will take him to the BI and sort it out.I don`t think he will get locked up (he is 69 years old) but does anybody know roughly what he can expect to happen so as I can forewarn him. He has been stupid but is not a bad person.

virginprune
Posted
Posted (edited)

A friend of mine overstayed for 2 months and that cost him 30,000p. That was at Gensan office. I believe it is 500p a day but not sure.

On a side note, I will have ext until 30th September, next time. I will be leaving on 1st October to visit UK for a few weeks, the BI have told me I have to do a full 2 month ext just for the extra 15 hours I will be here. I will think I will just play ignorant at the airport.

Edited by virginprune

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
the BI have told me I have to do a full 2 month ext just for the extra 15 hours I will be here. I will think I will just play ignorant at the airport.

Not sure you will get away with that  :no:  as they will catch you out when you go for your ECC

JP  :tiphat:

• Like 1

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

I know this American who has overstayed by 14 months. I have told him I will take him to the BI and sort it out.I don`t think he will get locked up (he is 69 years old) but does anybody know roughly what he can expect to happen so as I can forewarn him. He has been stupid but is not a bad person.

Kev, check you tally on your  Passport time Overstay and them multiply by the Months but I guess there will be a Further Fine 

Hope it all goes well for him. :thumbsup:

JP :tiphat:

virginprune
Posted
Posted

the BI have told me I have to do a full 2 month ext just for the extra 15 hours I will be here. I will think I will just play ignorant at the airport.

Not sure you will get away with that  :no:  as they will catch you out when you go for your ECC

I will only have been in country for 4 months, in the BI office it states that I have to get an ECC if I have been here continuously for 6 months or longer. I expect though that I will have to pay for 1 day over at the airport. If this is the case, is it likely to affect my status when I return in November?

Thomas
Posted
Posted

I will only have been in country for 4 months, in the BI office it states that I have to get an ECC if I have been here continuously for 6 months or longer. I expect though that I will have to pay for 1 day over at the airport. If this is the case, is it likely to affect my status when I return in November?

I'm not sure but I believe they count the STAMP date, not the departure date, so it's counted as the day before you leave if you pass the custom before midnight even if the flight leave after midnight.

chris49
Posted
Posted

I know this American who has overstayed by 14 months. I have told him I will take him to the BI and sort it out.I don`t think he will get locked up (he is 69 years old) but does anybody know roughly what he can expect to happen so as I can forewarn him. He has been stupid but is not a bad person

He will not get locked up. As for you helping him, if you actually want to do that, will be assessed the immigration fees plus penalties. It's not per day as suggested above, it is per month, but definitely it's going to go a bit high with penalties for each missed visa extension.

Take a photocopy of his passport and the original entry plus any extensions, they will run it through the computer and they will tell you the exact amount.

Let's say he can't pay, but wants to leave the country. He will be advised to report to the US Embassy. Now per Embassy protocol he is asked to provide certain information, like next of kin. They will be called and asked to provide the funds, so let's say all that fails. At this time the Embassy will pay all the arrears and the individual signs a promissary note to pay the money back within 6 months. And it is not taken lightly, he will be under a travel ban until the money is paid back and etc....even going as far to get the money back in another way like via the IRS.

How do I know that? It happened to a guy here who went to the Airport expecting to sweet talk his way out. No dice, he could not pay up and was directed to to the Embassy. Of course had to cancel the flight and waited about 7 days for the Embassy's processing.

• Like 5

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
I'm not sure but I believe they count the STAMP date, not the departure date,

Your visa date starts the next day so if you arrived at 3pm Monday then your stay in the Philippines is counted as Tuesday the first day.

• Like 2

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
Fine for Overstaying – (additional) Php 500.00 per month

Motion for Reconsideration for Overstaying – (additional) Php 500.00

LFR – Php 10.00

• Like 2

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
Your visa date starts the next day so if you arrived at 3pm Monday then your stay in the Philippines is counted as Tuesday the first day.

Agreed but the main thing is the Extension Date Whatever is the last extension date in the Passport will Expire at Midnight of that Valid date

JP :tiphat:

• Like 1