Is The Philippines For Me

stevewool
Posted
Posted

Right boys and girls, you think you have made your mind up and you are ready to make one of the biggest changes to your life and then you make that move,

How long has it took you to think yes i am home,

Are you there yet, or have not even thought about it, or was this change one of the biggest mistakes you have ever made other then marring your ex ( that lat bit is a joke )

You read about a few who hate the Phils and cant wait to leave the place but what about the others who think its fantastic, its Home ,

• Like 2

chris49
Posted
Posted (edited)

Mate if you are a tourist who wants to be consistently entertained and keep going to see amazing places  your stay in the Philippines will  be expired in 2 months. i would go as far as to say that having too much money in the Philippines can be a problem in in itself. We have to be careful sometimes, but if you can bring in an income, 10-20k pesos over budget for a month I would say you would have a good life here.

Those of us who have lived here long term have in same way learned to think like locals. we dont care about 18th Century monuments, but we do take an active interest in what's available on market day.

It takes a few years, yet there are some that don't make it that far.  i reckon another factor is to slightly lower your standards on personal comfort. You not always going to have air con and ideal CR facilities available and sometimes you have to adapt.

i would not want to live here alone or even with a gf for occasional company. i want to lie down at night next to the person I love, and if I can do that, the Philippines is fine for me.

Edited by chris49
  • Like 4

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

I like the laid back lifestyle not being ripped off when buying things ( Fuel-Electricals-Mobiles etc ) And if you go and buy something like a washing M/C or a large screen TV or even Furniture its in stock

:hystery:  Sorry, for one moment I thought you said you lived in the Philippines.  :89:

• Like 4

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
if you can bring in an income, 10-20k pesos over budget for a month I would say you would have a good life here.

That's brilliant!!!!  Well said.  THAT is how much you need to have a good life here, about 10 - 20K more than you spend on your necessities.  Well i guess I should add "IMHO"

How long has it took you to think yes i am home,

Took me about 2 years and one visit back to Canada.  At that point I realized the fast paced world of Canada continues to progress rapidly and I get left further and further behind here in the Philippines.  It would now be culture shock for me to move back to Canada.  But I could and would if the need arose.

For now, this is home.

• Like 4

william_c
Posted
Posted

Tend to agree with previous posters. Generally less expensive to live in PI, people are friendly but take that with caution as you would anywhere, and learn to relax. 

Before I retired me and the asawa traveled back and forth many times to visit and see if I could adapt. Well, having served in the military during the VN war, life in the PI is comfortable except for their streaming video. Furthermore, it's what you make it.

To say that the comfort food and daily things we would buy in the US is generally missing is true. However, adapt, improvise and overcome by finding alternatives as we do and have done. 

Biggest problem I have is perpetual sickness like colds and such. Butuan City is dirty and very old. I sense there are lots of tropical bacteria and virus' that plague the area and why I stay sick? We are planning on moving to a seaside area in hopes that the air off the ocean will improve my health?

In closing, come here with no pretentions and take life as it takes you. Most are overly friendly and look at you with curiosity. Reminds me much like Taiwan except that there are no binlong hooches along the streets. Guess its the Asian friendly culture?

But remember, if you look for trouble, it's everywhere in the world you may choose travel. 

• Like 4

northtoalaska
Posted
Posted

"Biggest problem I have is perpetual sickness like colds and such"

If you can find a cheap supply of rubbing alcohol it might be worth a go. Get a pump squirt bottle and you're all set.  I use the stuff several times a day. Seems to have drastically reduced my cold/flu episodes.

• Like 2

MikeSwede
Posted
Posted (edited)

It takes a few years, yet there are some that don't make it that far. i reckon another factor is to slightly lower your standards on personal comfort.

My mind very much wherever I end up, I think from ground up. What is it I really NEED and what else can be considered spoiled brat luxury.

I have given up on A/C, gave me a bad neck and a sour throat. Sleeping in 27°-30°C with high humidity is taken care of by a fan, or if you are lucky, a nights breeze. (Window netting steal most of that breeze away, but hey...)

Most times I adapt what is already there with a few designs of my own, this is true for living quarters, cooking and utensils. Just because it's not in the shop, no one sais you can not have it made.

Ingredients can be replaced, and the outcome good enough to make you forget the original recepie in a month or two - become your own chef!

I lived a bachelors life for a good many years, it has been a great way to learn how to adapt, and adapting quickly is key to get to know your new home in a positive way.

Edited by MikeSwede
  • Like 4

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted

"Biggest problem I have is perpetual sickness like colds and such"

If you can find a cheap supply of rubbing alcohol it might be worth a go. Get a pump squirt bottle and you're all set.  I use the stuff several times a day. Seems to have drastically reduced my cold/flu episodes.

Multi vitamins with iron will also help with a cold.

• Like 1