Retirement Villa On Panglao

Guy F.
Posted
Posted

Nice.  What are you using for the walls, they look like pre-cast concrete panels?  How do they tie horizontally as the seams are all stacked?  Like the tall windows with set-off transom, thats a neat look.

See the top right photo in post #1. Vertical rebar is visible. I presume there is also horizontal rebar; I will ask my brother in law about that. You can see some of the concrete rectangles piled in the background. Those get mortared into place, then filled with a rocky concrete mix.

Thomas means "insulation", I think. Or maybe "isolation". It's not exactly isolated; there are a few foreigners living within line-of-sight and a few native houses close by. The metal roof will be insulated but we think the walls will not need it. The high temperatures are always 85For 86F and there is almost always a slight breeze.

• Like 1

jkeenan213
Posted
Posted

Yes, I see that.  Interesting.  Just having trouble wrapping my head around the narrow bearing, one plate on top of next, then filling the cavity thoroughly without it bulging the panels out and off that narrow bearing.  If you could get some info from BIL...that would be great.  We are building mid next year so gathering ideas.  I'm an engineer by education, though not avocation, and was a builder here in U.S.  Thanks!

• Like 1

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted (edited)
and was a builder here in U.S

OH BOY, bring your patience, sense of humor and several bottles of Prozac brother. Are you in for a shock :tiphat:

Edited by scott h
  • Like 3

Thomas
Posted
Posted
Thomas means "insulation", I think. The metal roof will be insulated but we think the walls will not need it. The high temperatures are always 85For 86F and there is almost always a slight breeze.
Yes, I ment that, confused by Swedish has borrowed the word, but spell it "issolation"  :)

Some depending of if the roof are much wider, but I believe it's worth to insulate the walls too, at least the wall, which the sun hit, when the sun starts going down.

E g there are "boards" you can use at the inside of the walls you have allready. It's insulation and innerwall layers put together.

A foreigner built a WELL insulated house, which make he DON'T NEED AIRCON, just SLOW fans moving up and out the some warmer air, which make he SAVE in the long run.  (It was a while since he built it, but it didn't cost much, although it's almost 200 sqm and have complicated mosaik and tiles driving the builders crazy  :lol:

It can be worth to reduce heat coming in through closed WINDOWS too. Perhaps you have seen natives hanging plastic sheets outside the windows? But there are nicer solutions   :)    for instance double glased or marquis.

(Perhaps I will build myself a COMBINATION of "marquis" and "ironbars" = strong shutters.  

Less heat get in.

Better view out.

No problem geting out at fires.

But the disadvantage they have to be handled to be burglar protection, so it's risk becoming lazy and not close them when leaving home for a few hours...

And Iron bars are better burglar protection, but if the burglars have time, they can get in anyway.)

Guy F.
Posted
Posted (edited)

The windows are to be double glased. Insulating the walls would have busted the budget. We should not need aircon much. A fan is almost always sufficient for me in the 90 degree heat and breeze-less humidity of Cebu.

Haven't decided about iron bars over the windows yet. The nicer houses in the vicinity don't have bars that I've noticed. It seems to be a low-crime area. I saw only one house on the island that had broken glass and barbed wire topping the perimeter wall, such as is seen everywhere in the cities. That was near one of the bridges to the main island.

Thomas, do you really think anti-burglar bars are advisable on Panglao? I've been reading Bohol News Today online for about 2 years and the worst thing to happen in Songculan during that time has been dog poisonings. I did read that Dauis is the 10th most drug-affected municipality in Bohol and Songculan is the 2nd most drug-affected barangay in Dauis.

Edited by Guy F.

jkeenan213
Posted
Posted (edited)

Scott h...hahaha.  Indeed.  I have four children:  26,25,3 yrs and a 5 month old.  Not to mention a Pinay wife now nearly 8 yrs.  Patience...I got.  Red Horse and tuba better than prozac.

We built a house in Leyte.  My father in law was foreman, and they live there now.  This worked well, and way below the PHP 10-12K minimum I'm hearing now.  Way out in the province, and in a cove where everything had to be hand-carried down steps cut into steep rock wall.  6" block and cast in place columns/beams (Aussie earthquake standards), steel roof, steel, block and concrete to US standards in strength (which was a daily struggle..."No...more cement, more, more...), simple design and finishes.  I don't expect that cost now.

But the concrete poured between panels thing intrigues me.  I can't find it on line.

Edited by jkeenan213
  • Like 2

Guy F.
Posted
Posted (edited)

The name of the company is Corrtech.

http://corrtechinc.net/

Their main occupation is concrete repair and restoration on a large scale. House building is a sideline. There is another company that does solid concrete house construction called Sibonga. Their website is well done and worth seeing.

http://www.sibonga.com/

We almost committed to a deal with Sibonga but Corrtech was less expensive.

Looking at a picture of Sibonga's waffle-box construction I see the panels are aligned and not staggered; they are "stacked" as jkeenan put it.

Edited by Guy F.
  • Like 2

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

We almost committed to a deal with Sibonga but Corrtech was less expensive.

post-2148-0-19641000-1443574570_thumb.jp

Love that statement, so much Better than Cheaper, which always gets the bells ringing when my wife says it.

JPpost-2148-0-77630100-1443574616.png

Guy F.
Posted
Posted

Nice.  What are you using for the walls, they look like pre-cast concrete panels?  How do they tie horizontally as the seams are all stacked?  Like the tall windows with set-off transom, thats a neat look.

The builder says "Yes of course there is horrizontal and vertical bars in the walls".

BluesDude
Posted
Posted

As a guy who plans to build a home, I really appreciate you sharing your building experience with us. This kind of firsthand knowledge is one of the reasons why this forum is such a great resource. Thank you.

• Like 1