Retirement Villa On Panglao

Guy F.
Posted
Posted

So sorry, but there will be no more public photos of my new house. Mrs F has laid down the law. She is too uncomfortable about posting stuff like that publicly.

Wish I could find an estate sale or an expat giving up on the PI & moving back to the old country so I could get all necessary furniture & so on as a package deal.

• 2 weeks later...
Guy F.
Posted
Posted

We have been occupying the house for 2 days now. It was substantially completed twelve days ahead of schedule. I am extremely pleased with how well outside noise is kept out. We have a list of defects to be corrected and we shall see how expeditiously they get corrected. For example, there are no electric outlets above the kitchen countertops. And 2 of the electric outlets in bathrooms are 3.3 meters above the floor! WTF?!

I was worried about the fencing crew working wothout a contract. They seem to be on budget and on schedule. I got lucky with that.

It turns out we can't get unlimited broadband internet here. The connection is extremely fast but it has a limit of 800MB per day, so we won't be watching much internet video. I'll sorely miss Comedy Central.

Life is very good.

• Like 4

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted
It was substantially completed twelve days ahead of schedule. I am extremely pleased with how well outside noise is kept out.

Gratz Guy. I know the feeling when the house is finished. I don't remember all the specifics of your new home. Thought I would pass on what I learned. Inspect the outside walls very carefully if they used (what they call here) Bistay sand plaster. Crawl around and insure that everything is plastered really well. I learned the hard way that if they missed an area because it is either hard to get to or not seen at a casual glance it might not get plastered. Exposed block is not water proof nor bug proof.

Just thought I would share a lesson learned

Have fun decorating the house :hystery: . (the construction process was much more interesting, decorating just means following the wife around and carrying the credit card :1 (103): ) :mocking:

• Like 2

fred
Posted
Posted

Saw this house today,inside and out..Very impressive indeed! 

• Like 1

Thomas
Posted
Posted
I am extremely pleased with how well outside noise is kept out.
  :thumbsup:  Assisted by double glass?  
there are no electric outlets above the kitchen countertops. And 2 of the electric outlets in bathrooms are 3.3 meters above the floor! WTF?!
Perhaps it's of security reasons, it's hard to be electricuted if not reaching  :lol:
  • Like 1

Guy F.
Posted
Posted (edited)

I am extremely pleased with how well outside noise is kept out.
  :thumbsup:  Assisted by double glass?  

there are no electric outlets above the kitchen countertops. And 2 of the electric outlets in bathrooms are 3.3 meters above the floor! WTF?!
Perhaps it's of security reasons, it's hard to be electricuted if not reaching  :lol:

Maybe the high-up electric outlets in the showers are meant for those water heaters that are part of the shower head. But since we have solar water heating they are superfluous.

No, the windows do not look to be double glass. They were supposed to be, but I won't complain about that. In the master bedroom noise from other rooms is well muffled. Noise reduction is doubtlessly augmented by the six foot high perimeter wall.

Edited by Guy F.
  • Like 1

Thomas
Posted
Posted
In the master bedroom noise from other rooms is well muffled. Noise reduction is doubtlessly augmented by the six foot high perimeter wall.
I suppouse you have proper ceilings. Without such sound can "bounce around" over the walls.

• 3 weeks later...
Guy F.
Posted
Posted

The builder took care of the high-priority deficiencies promptly. There is a long list of minor flaws. We will propose that we be excused from paying the last 10% in exchange for fixing everything ourselves.

What looks like plywood in the attic photo is plywood, but it's 5 centimeter (2 inch) thick Marine Plywood.

• Like 1

intrepid
Posted
Posted (edited)
What looks like plywood in the attic photo is plywood, but it's 5 centimeter (2 inch) thick Marine Plywood.

I must be missing it.  What is the post number with the attic photo with 2" plywood?  And what is the need for 2" plywood?

Sure is a good looking house.  I hope you are very happy and proud of it!  I have some young missionary friends living in Bohol and plan to visit them next year.  If your home at that time maybe we can get together.

danny

Edited by intrepid
  • Like 1

Guy F.
Posted
Posted

Post #23, last picture, captioned "wiring detail, attic."