Retirement Villa On Panglao

Guy F.
Posted
Posted

How is the price going for the project, and are you pleased so far with what is happening on the build too

The price agreed upon for the house at the start will not change. Mrs. F engaged the fence/wall crew without a contract, which could yet turn out to be a mistake. So far they seem to be on schedule and within budget.

All I've seen are pictures and video. The build seems good in terms of quality so far, but I'll reserve my final verdict for after we have lived in the house for a month or two. Communication with the builder is very good, but their accountant is either overworked or slow to respond.

• Like 1

RBM
Posted
Posted

One thing I am curious about is what is the timber used in the ceilings and if treated what chemical was used?

The man in charge says "As what our lumber supplier said that it was treated, but Im thinking to treate it again when I will be there or put steel reinforcement."

The fence/wall crew are locals and are entirely separate from the house construction crew. I'll be looking at the fence/wall carefully when I get there.

Interesting as its obviously a top of the line lovely villa. I am surprised they used timber at for the support as sooner or later (even treated) the dreaded termites will appear.   What did they use for your ceilings, hard to tell from pic...is it plywood or hardiflex? 

Certainly a beautiful looking place, my partner is going next week so I told her keep an eye out for it.

• Like 1

Guy F.
Posted
Posted

In the attic photo the big flat sheets do resemble plywood. But in the roof insulation photo you can see the cut edges of what I presume must be hardiflex. I could send directions if you really want her to find it.

• Like 1

Thomas
Posted
Posted
I am surprised they used timber at for the support as sooner or later (even treated) the dreaded termites will appear.
Termites don't eat some types of wood, but I know only of hardwood, which is very hard to work with.

stevewool
Posted
Posted

I am surprised they used timber at for the support as sooner or later (even treated) the dreaded termites will appear.
Termites don't eat some types of wood, but I know only of hardwood, which is very hard to work with.

Its called Narra wood, very very hard, just like our Oak trees i am told

Maxheadspace
Posted
Posted

Guy, a very impressive house.  I suppose US$160K is top-end for the Philippines, but I look at that as a steal when compared with US housing costs. 

My wife and I were just talking today about purchasing a house in the Philippines, even if it is just to use it part time during the year (maybe the snowbird routine).  If I build, I'd like to be somewhere near a resort-type destination so I can enjoy scuba diving and other aquatic activities. 

In my research, utilities have always baffled me.  So, with your new house, how is water piped in, sewage piped out, electricity connected?  Is that provided by the community, i.e., water lines and sewage pipes?  Or do you have to go the route of drilling a well and/or putting out a septic tank/field? 

And most importantly, did you get a mortgage in the Philippines?  If so, through your wife?  I can't picture a US lender being very open to supporting a loan where the collateral is in a foreign land.  But I may be surprised.  :-)

Thanks Guy!

Max

Maxheadspace
Posted
Posted

That's really nice if you plan to live here forever.

Cant knock it, its a great looking building, it will be amazing once all done,

But the cost , each to there own i say, but there is no way i could ever afford something that cost so much, our build so far has cost us around £13,000 and maybe another £2000 to finish it, thats around $23000, or just around 1 million peso,

I think i have got a great deal with the build,

I am hoping to build another smaller house just for me a Ems  for cheaper then that price, but we shall have to buy the land ,WHERE i have no idea till we are there,

Steve, where are you building a $23000 house?  (my keyboard doesn't have a pound sterling symbol)

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted

Max. We built a house in Metro Manila suburbs. So this was true, here.

Sewage=Septic tanks seem to be the rule, public sewers seem to be for rainwater run off

Water=Just called our local water utility. Unless your way out in the sticks water mains run along most major streets

Electric=Same deal.

In fact unless you are building a completely new building, I would bet most of the hook ups are already there. For example, the water is still in my wife's grandmothers name...............and she has been dead for over 30 years.

Mortgage I cant help  you with, everyone (both expat and local) that I know pays cash for houses. I am sure they are out there, just uncommon in my experience.

RBM
Posted
Posted
  Mortgage I cant help  you with, everyone (both expat and local) that I know pays cash for houses. I am sure they are out there, just uncommon in my experience.

Correct but have heard the typical mortgage is very expensive interest wise if from a local bank. Apparently there are government agencies that have reasonable loans if one can avail of same.

• Like 2

Steve & Myrlita
Posted
Posted

Correct but have heard the typical mortgage is very expensive interest wise if from a local bank. Apparently there are government agencies that have reasonable loans if one can avail of same.

The govt agencythat helps with property loans is Pag ig Big. But like SSS, you have to have paid into it over so much time.