Buying New Vehicle Advise

chris49
Posted
Posted

I'm an experienced driver

I understand how many feel that way,  although very, very few have ever said they were 'bad' drivers.  When I drove as a professional driver for 30 years, we professionals learned that accidents happen to any person and any time. 

While I respect your decision to take the risks, I see WAY too many foreigners getting into accidents in Philippines that are "not their fault" to ever recommend that anyone else buy a car and take those risks.  I say "do whatever you feel is right" but I surely don't recommend it.  What do I recommend?  Just like all the rich Filipinos do, buy a friggin tank of an SUV and hire a very professional driver to drive you around.  I suspect the SUV is registered to a company that the rich Filipino owns, but what do I know?  I'm just a driver.  :hystery:

I have not noticed any trend on that Jack. Do you have actual anecdotes? 

In 6 years driving in Metro I hardly even noticed a foreigner driving. There are so few up here it doesn't bear mentioning.

Mike S
Posted
Posted

Do we have any regrets with buying the Ertiga ..... nope not at all ..... especially now that I can drive it again .... 

JMHO and experence ......

:cheersty:

attachicon.gifSuzuki Ertiga.jpg

Well done Marine!  Do you want brother Jake to bless the left front wheel for ya?  

Certainty sir ..... and if you can make it reach from Calif. to the Philippines I'll buy your diner ..... :tiphat: :hystery: :hystery:

:cheersty:

• Like 2

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

Sorry  :hystery:  But where have I suddenly come into this Conversation. In fact I don't think I have said anything on the whole Thread, Strange? I hear  but then, I don't Drive,so I would have nothing to add.

Jack  :unsure:

Thomas
Posted
Posted

you should never be the driver of the car you purchase.
If the car is in your name, you risk to be demanded to pay anyway.

So better put the car in some Filipino's name  - and don't buy a to expensive one, because it's put in a Filipino's name  :mocking:

I do the driving. As I have since age 18. And I deal with the risk factors. I'm an experienced driver, have driven in the Middle East and have considerable experience here. I trust myself in the driver's seat more than I would a 3rd party.

One risk factor I would not undertake is putting the car under someone's else's name.  All they would need is access to the key's and if ever they decided to sell the vehicle, which they probably would, there is nothing you can do.

That don't help if they find you have to pay, although the Filipino hit your car, when you stood STILL   :)

• Like 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
I have not noticed any trend on that Jack. Do you have actual anecdotes?    In 6 years driving in Metro I hardly even noticed a foreigner driving. There are so few up here it doesn't bear mentioning.

I'm an experienced driver

I understand how many feel that way,  although very, very few have ever said they were 'bad' drivers.  When I drove as a professional driver for 30 years, we professionals learned that accidents happen to any person and any time. 

While I respect your decision to take the risks, I see WAY too many foreigners getting into accidents in Philippines that are "not their fault" to ever recommend that anyone else buy a car and take those risks.  I say "do whatever you feel is right" but I surely don't recommend it.  What do I recommend?  Just like all the rich Filipinos do, buy a friggin tank of an SUV and hire a very professional driver to drive you around.  I suspect the SUV is registered to a company that the rich Filipino owns, but what do I know?  I'm just a driver.  :hystery:

In 6 years driving in Metro I hardly even noticed a foreigner driving. There are so few up here it doesn't bear mentioning.

I think you meant Dave.

I have to agree but I think it all depends on where you live.  I have never seen a foreigner involved in an accident here in Subic (or anywhere else) and we have a lot of foreigner drivers.

• Like 2

chris49
Posted
Posted

Sorry  :hystery:  But where have I suddenly come into this Conversation. In fact I don't think I have said anything on the whole Thread, Strange? I hear  but then, I don't Drive,so I would have nothing to add.

Jack  :unsure:

It was Dave, sorry.

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

It was Dave, sorry.

:hystery:  No need for apologies mate, we are both Good looking and it is easy to get us mixed up. It's Kev that is the Ugly one in the bad sox :hystery: post-2148-0-50787400-1443344337.png

JP  :tiphat:

OH! OH! I feel a Thump coming post-2148-0-13250300-1443344443.png

• Like 2

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
I have never seen a foreigner involved in an accident here in Subic (or anywhere else) and we have a lot of foreigner drivers.

Actually, I do remember a foreigner in an accident, but I only read about it.  Seems he got drunk with another foreigner, crashed a motorbike, and broke his arm!

chris49
Posted
Posted

The police were particularly lenient in that case when the guy's wife showed up asking about her husband, while ignoring her damaged bike.

That's why I love her more, she never ever mentioned it. Or reminded me. I think since 13 April, I may had have 10-12 beers total, which I suppose is the long term benefit.

• Like 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
I have not noticed any trend on that Jack Dave. Do you have actual anecdotes? 

Yes, quite a few but perhaps they are just things that a professional driver notices and files away, force of habit you know.  I'm not interested in pointing fingers but I will suggest that all drivers open their eyes to their surroundings more.  It amazes me how many foreigners I see driving around Dumaguete who are staring straight ahead but not really seeing what is going on around them.

• Like 1