Buying New Vehicle Advise

Ram1957
Posted
Posted

Thanks for the link Ram. As with most things in the Phil things are subject to change at ALL times lololol. I thought I remembered something in the news. I found this

MANILA, Philippines -- The controversy surrounding the “no plate, no travel” policy did not end with the Land Transportation Office’s suspension of the program, as Senate Majority Leader Alan Peter Cayetano vowed to continue monitoring the issue and other problems “to guard the public against any government inefficiency.”

During the probe, the LTO said it was scrapping “no plate, no travel” in favor of “no registration, no travel.”

Cayetano said no fine should be imposed if a motorist can present an official receipt and vehicle registration papers.

"The public should not in any way be burdened by what is clearly a product of the LTO’s and the plate contractor’s failure to deliver and process plates on new vehicles," he said.

"Vehicle owners who have registered their vehicles promptly should not have been barred from using their vehicles nor penalized for government's inefficiency," he added.

I just pasted in a few of the relevant passages, article was in the interaksyon web page may of this year.

So who knows what has transpired since.

Thank goodness my car has its plate and is current :hystery:  :cheersty:

Hi Scott you are correct it was suspended and then reinstated. Seems that there was alot of concern about it when a couple of senators brought it up but nothing ever got done on it. I took a trip over to the LTO here in Dumaguete to get the current status on this and was told that is was in effect and was being enforced. Goes to show that some things never change here. Maybe things will change in May but I don't think so. 

• Like 1

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted
it was suspended and then reinstated.

Was it laugh in, or some show in the seventies?

I AM SO CONFUSED!

:hystery:  :bonk:

• Like 1

Ram1957
Posted
Posted

You are not the only one thats why I made a trip to the LTO. One Senator doesn't have much power on what goes on. Reminds me of the States where none of them can get along and make a decision,

Mike S
Posted
Posted (edited)

Ram1957 ..... yes you sir are correct ..... they started re-implementing the no-plate no-drive in Aug. 2015 ..... however you can go back to your dealer (we didn't have to as we bought our car after that) and get a temporary plate along with a copy of this kind of official letter from the LTO from where your plate will be issued ..... the reason I was not concerned as the dealer told us not to worry as this was perfectly legal .... we have a plate both front and rear with this temporary number on it as well as the letter and and temporary OR/CR ..... here is a copy of the LTO form ..... sorry personal info blocked out .....

Here is the reg.

MC-AVT-2015-1930.pdf

MC-AVT-2015-1930.pdf

here is the official letter we received .....

post-11-0-98203900-1450924848_thumb.jpg

Edited by Mike S
  • Like 1

Ram1957
Posted
Posted

Ram1957 ..... yes you sir are correct ..... they started re-implementing the no-plate no-drive in Aug. 2015 ..... however you can go back to your dealer (we didn't have to as we bought our car after that) and get a temporary plate along with a copy of this kind of official letter from the LTO from where your plate will be issued ..... the reason I was not concerned as the dealer told us not to worry as this was perfectly legal .... we have a plate both front and rear with this temporary number on it as well as the letter and and temporary OR/CR ..... here is a copy of the LTO form ..... sorry personal info blocked out .....

Here is the reg.

attachicon.gifMC-AVT-2015-1930.pdf

attachicon.gifMC-AVT-2015-1930.pdf

here is the official letter we received .....

attachicon.gifOR - CR 2015 Suzuki 001.jpg

Thanks Mike, I will go down to the LTO and see if this works

• Like 1

Mike S
Posted
Posted

This has to be issued by the dealer you bought your new car from .... not sure if LTO will issue you a temporary plate number ..... also all the paper work for the car was filled out by the dealer ..... not sure if they picked up the letter from the LTO after submitting the registration form .....

This whole LTO governmental department is really a big joke ..... we were told for 3 years that we had to register our old car back in Cebu as Bacolod would not register it here as it was considered a surplus unit .... (Kia Sportage) we found out this year from a car lot that that was a bunch of crap .... he asked me what year it was and I told him 2006 .... he said any car that was 2006 and above could be registered here .....  this year when we went back down I challenged them and sure enough the guy said "oh it is a 2006 sure we can register it here" ..... now mind you the OR and CR info had not changed especially the year of the car .....

Oh and by the way we don't have tags for it yet either ..... but not to worry the in-laws now own it .... :thumbsup:  ... :merrychristmas:

• Like 2

Mike S
Posted
Posted

It even gets better ..... latest info .... what a joke ....... :28: ....... :merrychristmas:

http://www.journal.c...new-car-plates 

THE Department of Transportation and Communications on Wednesday announced that the Land Transportation Office will temporarily stop collecting  the P450 fee for the new license plate.

The suspension was prompted by the “notice of disallowance” issued by the Commission on Audit barring the DoTC  from continuing with its P3.8-billion car plates standardization program.

“We are currently in the process of resolving the issue with the COA regarding the Plate Standardization Program. We hope issues will be resolved and COA lifts the disallowance so we can provide the public with plates for improved road safety,” Transportation Secretary Joseph Emilio A. Abaya said.

“The LTO assures that the new standardized plates will be issued to motorists who have settled the payment as soon as the issue with COA is resolved,” Abaya stressed.

This means, vehicle owners who have not yet paid for the new license plates will not have to shell out P450 upon their renewal of registration.

The DoTC and the LTO implemented the “Plate Standardization Program” on May, 2014 for newly- registered vehicles. 

The LTO in January this year, issued Memorandum Circular No. AVT-2014-1895, mandating vehicle owners to replace their old license plates with the new standardized plates.

However, based on the CoA notice dated June 13, the multibillion-peso contract that was awarded to Knieriem BV Goes and Power Plates Development Concept Inc. was found to be illegal as it was not properly procured.

“The standardization program aims to curb illegal practices such as tanggal-plaka or plate removal or switching which is prevalent in carnapping and colorum public utility vehicles. It will also phase out the nine various designs of license plates,” Abaya said.

• Like 3

Ram1957
Posted
Posted

Got to love it! Only in the Philippines. Wonder what's next?

• Like 1

WordsandMusic
Posted
Posted

I have friend who has been driving in the Philippines for 10 years, no problems at all. He is very big and very white. He buys his cars from the local cab service. They sell the cabs for peso 140,000. He drives them a couple of years then sells them and buys another one. Seems to work good for him. His wife has two ex-cabs and she rents them for peso 1000.00 daily to cab drivers. She makes around peso 26,000 per month. Having a good mechanic is the secret to her success. She said tires are her biggest expense. Peso 300,000 per year. I suspect more like peso 250,000 after maintenance cost and odds and ends. She said if you have more than two cabs to rent, it starts to not pay as much because it can cut into the profit. You have to have a good pool of drivers to choose from in order to find the right person to rent to.

Ram1957
Posted
Posted

This has to be issued by the dealer you bought your new car from .... not sure if LTO will issue you a temporary plate number ..... also all the paper work for the car was filled out by the dealer ..... not sure if they picked up the letter from the LTO after submitting the registration form .....

This whole LTO governmental department is really a big joke ..... we were told for 3 years that we had to register our old car back in Cebu as Bacolod would not register it here as it was considered a surplus unit .... (Kia Sportage) we found out this year from a car lot that that was a bunch of crap .... he asked me what year it was and I told him 2006 .... he said any car that was 2006 and above could be registered here .....  this year when we went back down I challenged them and sure enough the guy said "oh it is a 2006 sure we can register it here" ..... now mind you the OR and CR info had not changed especially the year of the car .....

Oh and by the way we don't have tags for it yet either ..... but not to worry the in-laws now own it .... :thumbsup:  ... :merrychristmas:

Went and talked to the LTO again and was informed that Temp Plates were no longer a option, at least for motorcycles. I don't know if it's just in Area 7 or if its Philippines wide. So I guess I'm just going to have to wait it out and LTO said expect 5 months is the average time.