Gratuities (Tipping) And The Expat

chris49
Posted
Posted

After you had Gone the Beggars came in Droves. Seems the top table was buying and giving through Drink (Being Drunk That Is) and it must have spread fast I felt sorry for Little Security guy as he was on a Loser Today.

As to the Tipping I reckon that Gysele got about 150 piso in tips within 1.5 hours from what I saw, with your 20 and my 10 that's about 180 piso and she only came on Duty not long before you arrived.  She goes off at 7.30 so to me not a bad Shift on her tables. That was 4 in Total

10 was low Mr Peterson!!  :lol:  :lol: But in both cases it's the gesture which counts. It more or less ensures Gysele will attend your table in future and you are getting good service.  Over tipping is also wrong in that situation as it eventually pushes the bar higher.

Having drinks over extended period is slightly different. If everyone threw 20 on the table and it came up to 100, that would be about right, consider the barman, the waiter and the server who brings the ice etc.

• 1 month later...
robert k
Posted
Posted

I have never been presented a bill in the Philippines with the tip figured into it. If I had, I would either pay it or pay it and complain if the service was poor. In the US I receive such bills and I may leave a little extra if I deem the server really did a good job, a couple of coins if I think they did not.

In PH, if a trike driver did a good job avoiding massive potholes, did not drive as if we were all immortal and held the damn brake while we were getting out of the trike, I would tell him to keep the change and maybe give him something besides to make sure he got 7-10 php at least. One that did well but not as well as that, I would probably just tell him to keep the change and pay within 5 php of the exact fare. If a trike driver hit every bump, drove like an idiot and did not hold the brake as we exited, it is going to be exact change even if I have to send someone to get 5-10-25 centavo coins.

A cab driver is much the same, except any cab driver reluctant to give change or I believe overcharges I tell them that their tip would have been bigger than that and I am glad they decided themselves how much they should get and saved me some money. Of course you virtually always negotiate before getting in a cab, starting with meter? The negotiations do get tiresome so I get my own transport as soon as I can. It also may be against the law for them to refuse to take you, but that probably does nothing for you at he moment.

Petey
Posted
Posted
I have never been presented a bill in the Philippines with the tip figured into it.

Here is called service charge. Shakeys have it printed. I think Kenny Rogers also.

Manila cabs are a pain and i wouldn't use one that doesn't use a meter.  Most will negotiate before hand, and its always going to be in their favor. I learnt early on the location of places i needed to get to and experimented. Only a handful of times a taxi would go off the beaten track - but with GPS on the phone you can see how far off they are and the direct them back on track. Soon as i got my own car everything felt better.

• Like 1