Gratuities (Tipping) And The Expat

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

I am like that sometimes Jack, no offense actually intended.

Unfortunately it was taken as intended post-2148-0-06495100-1444821461_thumb.pn You very nearly got struck off mty Xmas card List post-2148-0-76639900-1444821497.png :hystery:

Jack the Lad that matters :thumbsup:

stevewool
Posted
Posted
The British who traditionally don't tip.

WHOA, WHOA WHOA, WHOA, thats a little harsh Chris,dont tar us all with the same brush :th_unfair:

• Like 2

chris49
Posted
Posted

WHOA, WHOA WHOA, WHOA, thats a little harsh Chris,dont tar us all with the same brush :th_unfair:

Traditionally was a key word. Can you refute that? Give me some anecdotal evidence.

chris49
Posted
Posted

I went to a place called the Newmarket Variety Club circa 1981. In a mixed group of about 8. I picked up the entire bill for dinner. But drinks were separate and people paid their own.

I just happened to mention that we might leave a tip. I got dirty looks all round, but a few people threw a few coins on the table....about 30 pence in total.

stevewool
Posted
Posted

Traditionally was a key word. Can you refute that? Give me some anecdotal evidence.

Where did you get the Traditionally from in the first place, and about refuting this, i dont have too, all i know is about me and who i know too, When there have been times when there has been the bill myself and the people i have been with will round the bill up ,

Maybe we are not in the league of other people giving 10% /15% or more, but if someone got a few quid or even  a fiver, they was happy, but you did make sure that the person who served you gets that tip too

• Like 2

stevewool
Posted
Posted

I went to a place called the Newmarket Variety Club circa 1981. In a mixed group of about 8. I picked up the entire bill for dinner. But drinks were separate and people paid their own.

I just happened to mention that we might leave a tip. I got dirty looks all round, but a few people threw a few coins on the table....about 30 pence in total.

All i can say Chris about these people who you was with and who was glad to let you pay for the food too, i would not call them my friends and i would make sure that i would never share a drink or meal with them and i would make sure they knew the reason why, tight gits comes to mind

• Like 1

virginprune
Posted
Posted

I drove a cab in a very cosmopolitan city for a number of years. The most consistent tippers were the English. Surprisingly, the tightest were Americans. I found this to be the same in the hospitality industry also.

Is that anecdotal enough?

• Like 3

Maxheadspace
Posted
Posted

I reiterate that in a restaurant my tip is to pay respect to my server for good SERVICE, not to subsidize the restaurant's wages.  If I receive really great service, I don't mind tipping 20% at all.  In the US wage laws usually allow restaurants to pay less than minimum wages as the wait staff is expected to make up the difference in tips.  So, in effect, by doing so the wait staff doesn't really get a tip, they get the balance of their paycheck.  OK, granted, I'm sure the total of tips does give them extra cash, but still the concept applies.

• Like 2

frosty (chris)
Posted
Posted

So, in effect, by doing so the wait staff doesn't really get a tip, they get the balance of their paycheck. 

Slightly O.T. As you say and I agree we shouldn't be making up the shortfall in any one's wages, in the US would they pay tax on tips, as it would be classed as income.