Gratuities (Tipping) And The Expat

stevewool
Posted
Posted
You never know what extras they may have included on your plate.

What are you saying Jake, we may get something what is not on the menu :unsure:

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

I was asked a direct question about tipping in Commonwealth countries as

What subject are you currently addressing. I was asked a direct question about tipping in Commonwealth countries as opposed to the USA. Tipping being cited as having it's main origins in USA.

Why are we talking US and Commonwealth Countries? when the Title is 

"Gratuities (Tipping) And The Expat"  Always, good Topics are sent Sideways and just to close my Morning opener here are some facts.

http://time.com/money/3394185/tipping-myths-realities-history/

http://www.foodwoolf.com/2010/08/history-of-tipping.html

and None of it has much to do with Expats in the Philippines. :no:  So can we move on with our life here in the present EH?

Jack  :no:

Morning All.

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

None of it has much to do with Expats in the Philippines.

Refering of course to the Previous post where as this Piece has everything to do with Daily Life here so I will just put it up for perusal and not doubt  some comments for but mainly in Disgreeance, I would hazard a guess.

http://www.whototip.net/tipping-in-philippines

Jack  :)

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

post-2148-0-70824800-1444611014_thumb.jp I was going to leave this one alone now as I have said my bit But and there is always a but after Coffee post-2148-0-30017300-1444611096.gif Strangely enough  last night I encountered some thing I have never had happen before (well not in the PI at least) We went to a Fiesta Dinner in Valencia. 

The Hosts were a Local Service Station Owner and his wife I have known for some years. Now they are the sort that can look down their Noses at people but in the main Pretty good Friends.

They used a Catering Company to do all and Well to me a little OTT, We were asked to put some cash into envelopes provided, this we were told was for the Waiting and other Staff of the Night about 10 in all I reckon.

My Wife spoke to one of the Girls about the tips and and she said OH! Tomorrow we will each get our Share from the Night before. Sounds good on the Face of it but I sit and Wonder just how fairly this will have been allocated. I had said before I have seen Supervisors/managers removing tip money from table accounts before and this gives me rise to Think maybe those in charge also get a piece of the Action.

We noticed that some were very good at what they did and others well I would not have tipped at all But this is the way this company does it so who am I?

I still will say it is a personal thing and I judge/think on Performance and attitude of the time it is happening

But this is me. Each to their own as we say.

Jack :thumbsup:

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
I have noticed the locals not big tippers

Now here is a point I can contribute to.  I pay VERY close attention when I see a local person tipping.  Not the poor folk but the people who have "similar to expat" income levels or higher.  I watch what they do and try to do similar.  No point arguing how much that is but watch close, they make no secret of how much they are tipping if you watch close.  And I would venture to say all (or almost all) of the locals in that income level do tip.

• Like 3

frosty (chris)
Posted
Posted

I have noticed the locals not big tippers

Now here is a point I can contribute to.  I pay VERY close attention when I see a local person tipping.  Not the poor folk but the people who have "similar to expat" income levels or higher.  I watch what they do and try to do similar.  No point arguing how much that is but watch close, they make no secret of how much they are tipping if you watch close.  And I would venture to say all (or almost all) of the locals in that income level do tip.

Well I have only seen, what I have seen at the places I eat, mostly they will leave the coins but rarely ever any notes, mind you I eat with my partner in mainly middle of the road local restaurants, but there are always quite a few upmarket, expensive cars parked in the front.

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
but there are always quite a few upmarket, expensive cars parked in the front.

Now there lies a story,

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
Well I have only seen, what I have seen

Agreed.  When I see the wealtier locals tipping I am not thinking in terms of restaurants as I agree the locals are 'cheap' in that area.  But watch how they tip barbers, massage, porters, blind musicians, etc.  Then watch how they give to beggars, god children, parking attendants etc.  It seems to me they are always giving out a few coins where expats (including myself) tend not to do so.

• Like 2

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

Agreed.  When I see the wealtier locals tipping I am not thinking in terms of restaurants as I agree the locals are 'cheap' in that area.  But watch how they tip barbers, massage, porters, blind musicians, etc.  Then watch how they give to beggars, god children, parking attendants etc.  It seems to me they are always giving out a few coins where expats (including myself) tend not to do so.

Yet it is our (Well mine anyway) Wives that dissuade us to do it. Is there a Dividing Line on this?

:)

• Like 1

frosty (chris)
Posted
Posted

Well I have only seen, what I have seen

beggars,  It seems to me they are always giving out a few coins where expats (including myself) tend not to do so.

Made me think of one local, an old guy, really old, hardly any teeth, has a guitar that has seen better days. Some times I run into him at the local Sorry store and say hello, buy him a meal and a drink, he sings a song for me :hystery: One day I was there and he emptied his days takings on the table and ask the lady owner to convert all his coins to paper money, which she is happy to do, came to just over 500 pesos, I asked the lady owner how long was that for and she said he usually comes in everyday with about the same amount. :cheers:

• Like 4