Gratuities (Tipping) And The Expat

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
He says 20%. 15% minimum if the service is moderate. He says like me, if you don't give 15% and you are a frequent customer, services like coffee refills, extra items like creamer, ice in drinks, become difficult to access.

Seems he does not work for the following company:

Restaurant Chain Owner Bans Tipping At All Locations

http://www.break.com/article/restaurant-chain-owner-bans-tipping-at-all-locations-2960771

Looks like at least one company is trying to break the chain of extortion promoted by management and server's unions.  I wish them all the best.

• Like 2

chris49
Posted
Posted

And they are raising prices accordingly, which could be controversial.

Ask people what they prefer and they might like that system. Not me, I like the system where the server is working hard for his/her tip. In a pre paid system the level of service could drop right off.

• Like 2

usa32
Posted
Posted

Then you fire the employee.

I have to work with customer's and I don't extort our customers for tips. Neither should servers or bartenders.

Not only that, if you do away with tips, you bring all the income above board, so it's taxed, instead of hidden. No reason the rest of us should pay taxes for servers that feel it appropriate to hid income.

Ask people what they prefer and they might like that system. Not me, I like the system where the server is working hard for his/her tip. In a pre paid system the level of service could drop right off.

chris49
Posted
Posted (edited)

I have to work with customer's and I don't extort our customers for tips. Neither should servers or bartenders.

Not only that, if you do away with tips, you bring all the income above board, so it's taxed, instead of hidden. No reason the rest of us should pay taxes for servers that feel it appropriate to hid income.

Brilliant. That will be considerably more expensive than the current system.

Now explain why this revolutionary idea has not been tried before.

How do you deal with illegal aliens who might be in this line of work?

Edited by chris49

usa32
Posted
Posted

Well as you can see some companies are trying to go this way finally.

Honestly it's been our culture for several decades. I think enough people are finally getting tired of being extorted for tips, wherever we go. That companies are trying to fill that need.

Will it take? I don't know, but it's the right way to go, it's a better experience for the customer, and ultimately a better experience for the server. They get consistent pay they can count on, and don't have to extort people for money for a living. Prices will go up, they will get paid what the employer think's they are worth, and the world keeps on a turning.

But the honest truth is, a server or pizza delivery driver, or bartender, is not worth 15-20 dollars an hour, with some of it hidden from taxes. It's closer to a 10 dollar an hour job. And you can envision in the future where they aren't even needed at all. You could simply have a system, where you sit down at a nice restaurant, order through kiosk, the cooks would make the food to order, and you would pick the food up at a window, or some type of system would bring it to you, whether a robot or otherwise. You have your nice well cooked meal, you don't have to talk to server's and you can fully enjoy your meal with the person you came with instead of wasting some of it talking to a stranger, that is only being nice to you to get a tip.

Brilliant.

Now explain why this revolutionary idea has not been tried before.

Thomas
Posted
Posted
And you can envision in the future where they aren't even needed at all. You could simply have a system, where you sit down at a nice restaurant, order through kiosk, the cooks would make the food to order, and you would pick the food up at a window, or some type of system would bring it to you, whether a robot or otherwise.
Actualy such excist allready. I saw at TV a restaurant owner in USA had built a system from junk. It's similar to what they have in some suchi restaurants, but this is much biger and hanging from the roof, so no floor space are wasted.

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted

Well, back to tipping here in the Philippines. Last week I went with my brother in law to the main LTO in Quezon City to get his car (that he imported back in June and is still doing the paperwork on, see other topic). We stopped an had a burger at a sit down joint at an SM mall. We ordered at the counter, sat down and they brought the food to us.

(I really hate the way they don't bring the food all at one time, but what ever is ready they bring to the table. ooops another topic)

Our bill was about P500, there was a tip jar on the counter, which tells "me" they really don't expect tips being left. The staff was friendly (as almost all young Filipina ladies are), smiled a lot and laughed at my stupid jokes. BIL paid the bill, and as we left I threw 40 pesos on the table. We left and I looked through the window as we were leaving and saw the girls cleaning the table, one picked up the 40 pesos, showed it to her mate. The looks on their faces was worth 90 cents USD to me :cheersty: .

• Like 1

chris49
Posted
Posted

That's also a system, but 40 pesos was way "over". But great you gave it willingly and you got a nice result. It does fall within my guideline of under 50 pesos.

That's the nice side of tipping. You are trying to help someone who is less fortunate than yourself.

chris49
Posted
Posted

But the honest truth is, a server or pizza delivery driver, or bartender, is not worth 15-20 dollars an hour, with some of it hidden from taxes

That's the American system though. The whole concept of food, fast food and delivery originated in the States.

The pizza guy gets? minimum wage? He gets a tip for finding your place and being on time, giving you a hot pizza. What would that be $2-3? I would think he earned it. Would give it willingly.

I'm shown here as an Aussie. I'm an American citizen, FYI.

stevewool
Posted
Posted
one picked up the 40 pesos, showed it to her mate. The looks on their faces

Yes the service counts, but its this what counts, and most important is the THANKYOU ,from both sides,

• Like 2