Gratuities (Tipping) And The Expat

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted

We have had this topic before, but it has been awhile and we have many new members that might not have seen it. Might be fun to rehash it a bit.

As I see it, we come from several different countries ourselves, with different tipping cultures. Being a yank our normal is 15%, as we know some countries tip less or none at all.

When we go to a restaurant and if there is already a service charge on the bill, I will bump it up to equal 15-20%. If there is no service charge, I look at the VAT (12% I think usually?) add a little to it and I am done.

My one complaint is that the turn over rate at the restaurants' we frequent is so fast, it is hard to build up a rapport with the staff to insure great service. (not that we ever get "bad" service) 

Now when we talk about the proverbial "barber" and examples of that type of service. To me these are one on one relationships. I have developed history with my barber, and beside the fact you always want to keep a guy that has a razor to your throat very happy, it is more of a personal relationship to me. The place I have been going to for the last 6 years (3 during visits, 3 living here) they charge P50 for a haircut and P50 for a shave, so P100, I tip him another P100. On top of that at Christmas time I slip him the traditional white envelope with P500 in it. So for these types of services I grossly over tip.

Some might feel that I over tip. Well that might be true, but that is my "cultural" heritage and it makes me "feel" good. There is a feeling among some that if I over tip I will ruin it for other expats. Well to that I say, we are spread so thinly on the ground, I doubt seriously that any here will be using my barber, or dining at Mama Lou's Italian restaurant :tiphat: .

Anyway, thoughts? :cheersty:

• Like 3

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

For me Tipping is personal, It can get out of Hand when it is looked at as a Right. I get so fed up with Owners paying Crap Wages and looking to Customers to make up their workers wages. One Girl Told us not too long ago, that she needed Tips to buy her Work Uniform "WHAT?" Yep they have to provide their own Uniform,  If there is a Service Charge added to a Bill or is contained in it, I will Tip the Waiting Staff Personally. If they are not Around I will not Leave it ( We once caught a Manager taking the Tips from Meal Payments on a Table, That did it for me) but mainly we tend to eat at much the Same places and we will Remember the Server and give double next time But and I love the Buts It is personal and IF the Service is not what we like then No Tip.

Barbers and  the Like I do Tip as it is a fairly sure way of getting a Good Treatment.

That's me Folks

Jack :tiphat:

• Like 2

canadianbob
Posted
Posted

As a Canadian, I'm used to tipping.  But tipping is mainly an American and Canadian cultural thing.  Not sure about England.  In most of Europe, no one really tips.

I do not like tipping, and it should not be encouraged.  Service should always be good regardless of any potential tip.

And employers should pay their staff more.

• Like 2

Larry45
Posted
Posted

Good topic, and I was just discussing this with wife today at an upscale (for our little city) coffee shop while we contemplated the tip.  I agree completely about tipping being an American concept, but something that we tend to carry with us abroad.  There seems to be a guilt factor involved, and also an expectation from the service staff if they know you're an American.  I tip about 10% here in a quality establishment, and sometimes nothing in an eatery.  Yes, it makes me feel better, as that is my custom....and it doesn't inflate prices much.   It's all a wash anyways, as the locals tend to pad your bill a little, if they know you won't tip.  And in the end, they are going to laugh at you and makes jokes about you when you leave....you're either stupid or kuripot, depending on your tip.....so just do what feels good for you.   :cheersty:

• Like 1

stevewool
Posted
Posted

Like i have said before, i was giving to much in tips on my first visit, so i left it to Ems to sort out , i just gotup said thank you  and walked to the door looking straight ahead,

Then once outside the cash i was going to give i gave to the street kids ,NOW THAT MADE ME HAPPY

• Like 3

chris49
Posted
Posted (edited)

I tip about 10% here in a quality establishment, and sometimes nothing in an eatery

Nothing in a small outlet. Earlier I did try to give the girl a 20 peso note and it confused her. She handed the note straight to the manager who threw it in the plastic box they use.

10% would be about right in a medium class establishment, might be a bit over, but I would normally do that.

We had a dinner 8 adults plus kids in a medium range café sort of. One waiter, plus 2-3 servers. The bill was quite low, so 2 guys were splitting it (about 1600 I think) The rest of us threw money on the table to make up the tip. And it also rounded out to about 200.

After our wedding in City Hall, we had around 12 people plus the 2 drivers, me and Gina for lunch in a typical Ilocano restaurant. Gina kept adding the the order, then a few rounds of beer. Desert and ice cream for some of the ladies. Bill was about 7000, no service charge. Service was ok but some of the food came off the buffet (they had 2 systems going, buffet and a la carte) 10% of 7000 is 700 so I looked a Gina and she did not give me the nod on the tip. Again about 200 I think and no one contributed of course.

Edited by chris49

chris49
Posted
Posted (edited)

We have had this topic before, but it has been awhile and we have many new members that might not have seen it. Might be fun to rehash it a bit.

As I see it, we come from several different countries ourselves, with different tipping cultures. Being a yank our normal is 15%, as we know some countries tip less or none at all.

When we go to a restaurant and if there is already a service charge on the bill, I will bump it up to equal 15-20%. If there is no service charge, I look at the VAT (12% I think usually?) add a little to it and I am done.

My one complaint is that the turn over rate at the restaurants' we frequent is so fast, it is hard to build up a rapport with the staff to insure great service. (not that we ever get "bad" service) 

Now when we talk about the proverbial "barber" and examples of that type of service. To me these are one on one relationships. I have developed history with my barber, and beside the fact you always want to keep a guy that has a razor to your throat very happy, it is more of a personal relationship to me. The place I have been going to for the last 6 years (3 during visits, 3 living here) they charge P50 for a haircut and P50 for a shave, so P100, I tip him another P100. On top of that at Christmas time I slip him the traditional white envelope with P500 in it. So for these types of services I grossly over tip.

Some might feel that I over tip. Well that might be true, but that is my "cultural" heritage and it makes me "feel" good. There is a feeling among some that if I over tip I will ruin it for other expats. Well to that I say, we are spread so thinly on the ground, I doubt seriously that any here will be using my barber, or dining at Mama Lou's Italian restaurant :tiphat: .

Anyway, thoughts? :cheersty:

That's the thing. I'm not giving 100 on a first time or single visit unless I built up a relationship with the guy.

Barbering is a skill. A few barbers either possibly not formally trained? Or lack experience? But you can immediately tell if the guy is good or not. Especially on the shaving. I don't have a shave, but I want the neck shaved clean, which usually means going over the area at least twice, possible even a change of blade.

As I have said 50 pesos +50 tip. Now if the guy is good and I'm a regular customer I maintain the 50. Or if ever in Manila, and the place I go to charges 60 and they alsoknow me...60+50...

Taxis. Nothing. There service and attitude is not that great. I will round out the money but only to a few pesos. If we carry bags a possible 20 pesos, will see how helpful is the driver.

Franchise restaurants with service charge. Nothing. For extra additional service, nothing lahat. It's a strategy they use having targeted you as a foreigner. I don't fallfor that.

The guy who finds you a parking spot and waves you in and out...10 pesos. 20 if it's a prime spot and I stay a while.

Baggage porters who might assist you at the airport. Hmm, I don't need it but sometimes you get stuck with it...50 to 100.

Bus conductors. Nothing of course. About 3-4 times I had to get back with the bike. The guy is very considerate to load my bike in the luggage bay even re-arranging the available space. 50 pesos.

Edited by chris49

stevewool
Posted
Posted

Just a thought , do you tip more after to many San Miguel s :cheersty:  :cheersty: 

• Like 1

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted

As a caveat, being a yank we are hated by locals world wide for over tipping. But the 15% is our culture. Canada is a lot like the US according to Bob. I know that in Japan it is considered an insult. Koreans just don't really care (if you get bad service there you just beat the crap out of the owner :hystery:)

Are our personal tipping policies influenced by our home county policies? I am not familiar with the commonwealth tipping practices.

stevewool
Posted
Posted
Are our personal tipping policies influenced by our home county policies? I am not familiar with the commonwealth tipping practices. [/qu

its like everything sooner or later things come across the water from the USA and we follow,