Gratuities (Tipping) And The Expat

stevewool
Posted
Posted

Stop all these silly things and lets get back to the topic of tipping,you tight gits :hystery: :hystery:

• Like 1

chris49
Posted
Posted

Well Chris you Didn't get out much I think in your early days :) . or Oz must have still had the Immigrant slant because in the UK you were more likely to get a Pro-Rata tip from a Milkman and his wife than the local Bank Manager and his Girlfriend. Seems the More they have the less they would give. :unsure: And that would be at a Lyons Corner House or Suchlike. (Bernies Inns and Schooners Later) But now, no one pays the Server as it is all done on Ordering for us common Folk. So Tipping seems to be a Redundant Thing as Servers are not allowed to have Money on them anymore. I certainly will not give/Leave tips to this type of Outlet.

Bur Seriously, I don't think this has anything to do with Class it is how things are seen at the Time.All to often we hear this Class thing, None of us here I would suspect know anything about Upper Class Eating Houses or are we taking things from the Internet or Egon Ronay's write ups. Yet we may all give tips at some time.

Again I will just say that to me, This Tipping thing is a Personal thing on the day and effort made by anyone serving me.

JMHO

Jack. I lived in the USA since age 17. And fell in line with the tipping. I had occasional trips to Australia, by then I was indoctrinated to the American system. In those days a high level restaurant in Australa, was a hotel. My Grandpa took us there, but it was a bit earlier, I did not know much about tipping then. Grandpa was a generous type, I think he might have tipped. When I went home from 1977 onwards I did tip. At the revolving restaurant, Canberra, a few years later we had a $700 dinner for 4. It wasn't worth half that, but I did lay out a $70 tip. Ludicrous but that's what I thought I had to do.

There in Michigan USA, there's a mid range chain called Bob Evans. Known for all day breakfast and bottomless coffee. If you don't leave a 15% tip, the next visit, the waitress will freeze you out. You get nothing and even the coffee refill you will have to ask. Veteran waitresses in the USA know exactly what they are doing. If you don't toe the line with them, you are getting nothing extra. And management will support them, not you.

• Like 1

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

If you don't toe the line with them, you are getting nothing extra. And management will support them, not you.

OK so lets forget the Nostalgia because there can be so many stories about TIPS/ Gratuities  which means absolutely NAFF all here today on Oct 11th, 2015, Lets talk about us here now and what I feel the OP is actually talking about. :thumbsup: Because at the end of the day the management are way out of Line. Trust me I have had 3 bars ( and still own on in Spain) and managed 2 Hotels.

Jack  post-2148-0-03489300-1444562346.gif  :)

Larry45
Posted
Posted

My wife has no problem tipping a barber or trike driver but when we go to restaurants she will not let me leave a tip ever. Rather than argue I just accept that she has lived here and knows and I keep the money. :)

haha....reminds me of when i first came here.  Wife would get mad when i itemized the bill and showed their over-charges.....and she thought it was dumb to tip.  Now she get's it... :cheersty:

Thomas
Posted
Posted
There in Michigan USA, there's a mid range chain called Bob Evans. Known for all day breakfast and bottomless coffee. If you don't leave a 15% tip, the next visit, the waitress will freeze you out. You get nothing and even the coffee refill you will have to ask. Veteran waitresses in the USA know exactly what they are doing. If you don't toe the line with them, you are getting nothing extra. And management will support them, not you.
If the customers chose to go elsewhere, then either the waitress or the management get support...  :mocking:

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

:)  I fell I should Quantify/Qualify what I have said, When we Run  a Service  Orientated Buisness we can be caught in that web of "We are our own Worst Enemy" [ the Customer]  Running any Service Company can be Great and very Lucrative but at some time during the day we have to face and please  The Customer Not always easy So we rely on our Staff to help us. Now we should always keep these people Happy, But do we? So they get less than the going rate for the Job and Start to Rely on Tips, this is not a Guaranteed thing because they too have to deal with the Dreaded Customer So it becomes a never ending Circle of Events. 

John Lewis of Glasgow in Scotland is a spin off of the john Lewis Partnership of London, Now these People are all Shareholders at no money Input but each have a Duty of Customer excellance.

Above the Clocking in device at the Staff entrance is a Notice.

"why are we here?"

At times fellow Staff

1.  You may not like them.

2 . They may give you Grief.

3 . They may be Abrupt.

4.  They may be Rude.

5.  They may make you Work a little harder.

6.  They may make you a little late for coffee or Lunch some times.

7.  They may laugh behind your Back about your Hair.

8.  They might report you for discourtesy (Should you offer it)

9.  They may or not say Good morning/Afternoon

10. They might not even Buy

Who are they? They are the Customer!

These Good people are the Reason we are here

If Everyone thought this and Acted on it Then I think Tips may come more Plenty full. I have more if you like but I can save it.

Jack :)

• Like 2

stevewool
Posted
Posted

We have something like that in our office, short and simple, You Will Never Win A Argument With A Customer,

• Like 1

chris49
Posted
Posted

If you don't toe the line with them, you are getting nothing extra. And management will support them, not you.

OK so lets forget the Nostalgia because there can be so many stories about TIPS/ Gratuities  which means absolutely NAFF all here today on Oct 11th, 2015, Lets talk about us here now and what I feel the OP is actually talking about. :thumbsup: Because at the end of the day the management are way out of Line. Trust me I have had 3 bars ( and still own on in Spain) and managed 2 Hotels.

Jack  attachicon.gifScratch head.gif  :)

What subject are you currently addressing. I was asked a direct question about tipping in Commonwealth countries as opposed to the USA. Tipping being cited as having it's main origins in USA.

Then we talked about tipping in the PI. The main focus being whether or not to tip and what is overtipping.

Dragging in yet another example from a similar thread.

The puncture repair guy who works on mainly motorbike tires, sometimes my bike. Sometimes they have a struggle getting the wheel on and off, but still the price for vulcanizing is 20-30 pesos. One reason is there's competition in the market. I will give this guy 10-20 pesos routinely for the effort and successful

repair of the puncture.

Now go back to the full service barber. 50 pesos plus 10 is mentioned above. Nice to give a tip but 10 pesos would be "under" for the kind of service I get.

Now go back to the restaurant, 10% on the bill is mentioned. It can be, but from what I'm reading that would horrify most of our wives. For a single server or waiter, bill is 500 or more. 20-30 pesos or a roundout of the change is ok. Given hand to hand to ensure the guy gets it.

Or my example above. Bill is 1000 or above. Everyone throws a small amount o the table and that's the tip. If only to ensure good service next time.

frosty (chris)
Posted
Posted (edited)

I tip, but only if I am happy with the service, doesn't have to be great but as long as we get the right meal and drinks I find that helpful.

Usually just round it up to the nearest hundred, 360 for the meal the wait person gets the rest palmed to them, my barber I give him the price of the cut 40peso same tip. Aussie's aren't known to be big tippers, not a done thing there, but here with the terrible wages the staff are paid I don't mind making their job just a little easier. I have noticed the locals not big tippers. :tiphat:

Edited by frosty (chris)
  • Like 2

Jake
Posted
Posted

As a general rule, I try NOT to broadcast my displeasure to anyone serving me food or drinks, until after I'm about to pay the bill --   especially in the Philippines.  You never know what extras they may have included on your plate.  I don't calculate the 10 or 20 percent.  I just leave the loose change (up to 20 pesos) for just the two of us.  

• Like 3