Gratuities (Tipping) And The Expat

chris49
Posted
Posted

Are our personal tipping policies influenced by our home county policies? I am not familiar with the commonwealth tipping practices.

Tipping was not practiced in my younger years. I would say in the 1970's in the higher level restaurants where you had probably a Maitre De and a high level professional waiter it started to creep in. Aussies didn't do it easily but many people who had travelled to other countries picked up on it. And from the 70's onwards we had a sharp increase in international tourism. So they brought it in also.

Pure upper class BS. You are paying $40-50 for a bottle of wine which costs $15 off a supermarket shelf. So you play the game and ask for his recommendation. He goes through his professional routine and points you to a bottle which he personally recommends. Usually it's good because he hears from other customers. Through the meal he gives you certain tips on what to order. And despite having a several hundred dollar bill, he expects a hefty tip. So much so that school teachers and nurses started moonlighting on the weekends in the high class places.

If you have money, that's what you do. And if you don't you would not go to such a high level place. You go to a lower level where tipping is not even considered.

• Like 1

stevewool
Posted
Posted

Dont let on to my Missus, her food is the best, its put in front of me , and once finished its taken away , any drink i am wanting it is there, and i dont have to tip ,

I am onto a good thing here, hang about, her new iphone 6, her Louis Vuitton bag, her trips to Euro, holidays around the world, WHOS FOOLING WHO, :unsure: 

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

Well Chris you Didn't get out much I think in your early days :) . or Oz must have still had the Immigrant slant because in the UK you were more likely to get a Pro-Rata tip from a Milkman and his wife than the local Bank Manager and his Girlfriend. Seems the More they have the less they would give. :unsure: And that would be at a Lyons Corner House or Suchlike. (Bernies Inns and Schooners Later) But now, no one pays the Server as it is all done on Ordering for us common Folk. So Tipping seems to be a Redundant Thing as Servers are not allowed to have Money on them anymore. I certainly will not give/Leave tips to this type of Outlet.

Bur Seriously, I don't think this has anything to do with Class it is how things are seen at the Time.All to often we hear this Class thing, None of us here I would suspect know anything about Upper Class Eating Houses or are we taking things from the Internet or Egon Ronay's write ups. Yet we may all give tips at some time.

Again I will just say that to me, This Tipping thing is a Personal thing on the day and effort made by anyone serving me.

JMHO

• Like 1

Richieboy67
Posted
Posted (edited)

My wife has no problem tipping a barber or trike driver but when we go to restaurants she will not let me leave a tip ever. Rather than argue I just accept that she has lived here and knows and I keep the money. :)

Edited by Richieboy67
  • Like 2

stevewool
Posted
Posted
Bernies Inns

How many different steaks can you have , and i thought there was just one, give the biggest T BONE :thumbsup:

Richieboy67
Posted
Posted

Bernies Inns

How many different steaks can you have , and i thought there was just one, give the biggest T BONE :thumbsup:

I go for the Filet Mignonne myself. :) Unfortunately I haven't had one in far too long.

stevewool
Posted
Posted

Bernies Inns

I go for the Filet Mignonne myself. :) Unfortunately I haven't had one in far too long.

Thats what i always wanted to try but could not pronounce it, :hystery: :hystery:

It would have sounded like this post-2574-0-60650200-1444553478_thumb.jp

• Like 2

Richieboy67
Posted
Posted (edited)

Ha-ha, I can pronounce it but there was no way I was spelling it without spell check. :)

Pronounced - fee lay min yawn.

Edited by Richieboy67
  • Like 1

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted (edited)

(Bernies Inns

A little off the mark but just so that those who never knew what a Berni was.Although I believe there are 1 or 2 about.

post-2148-0-91019600-1444556149_thumb.jp  post-2148-0-26475200-1444556167.jpg with meals at this cost, you could afford a Little Tip. :thumbsup:

Jack post-2148-0-78044100-1444556229.png

A little Bigger Please I thinkfood-in-the-1970s14.jpg

Edited by Jack Peterson
  • Like 1

stevewool
Posted
Posted

Glad you put that on Jack , i did not want anyone to get it mixed up with this Bernie,https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EtsQPt54SBg

People would be eating ostrich burgers