Gratuities (Tipping) And The Expat

Ynot
Posted
Posted

Ive never been to Europe or America,but  I generally leave a tip when Ive enjoyed a meal and or had good service. 

When on holiday in Thailand or the Philippines i generally leave a tip except for where there is a "Service Charge" which is generally divided amongst the staff at the end of the month.  An old gf who worked in the hospitality industry stated they got their cut from the "Service Charge"at the end of the month. So my view is the Service Charge is the tip and it generally exceeds 10% and it gets equally to all the staff. 

I sometimes give the door guys at the hotel and the cooks a tip too if they are polite and my eggs are done to my liking. 

Generally, when we give a tip we tend to give it direct to the waiter, if you enjoyed the meal what about the cook!!!  

I've just returned from the PI and I stayed a few days at a hotel but ate breakfast next door to the hotel.  I made sure that on my last day there I spoke to the chef and thanked him for the nice breakfasts I had, and I tipped the cook direct in addition to the wait staff.  I generally alway tip the guy who carries your bag up to your room when booking in a hotel, and I generally give taxi drivers a tip if they are good and pick up my bag etc. 

I honestly think the "Service Charge"is the best method of tipping as it makes sure everyone gets the recognition they deserve when you have a great stay or good meal, from the wait person, to the cook, to the cleaner and doorman and receptionist etc, otherwise only those that you see receive the reward and the rest of the the team miss out, unless the practice is to share the tips     

• Like 1

chris49
Posted
Posted

Ive never been to Europe or America,but  I generally leave a tip when Ive enjoyed a meal and or had good service. 

When on holiday in Thailand or the Philippines i generally leave a tip except for where there is a "Service Charge" which is generally divided amongst the staff at the end of the month.  An old gf who worked in the hospitality industry stated they got their cut from the "Service Charge"at the end of the month. So my view is the Service Charge is the tip and it generally exceeds 10% and it gets equally to all the staff. 

I sometimes give the door guys at the hotel and the cooks a tip too if they are polite and my eggs are done to my liking. 

Generally, when we give a tip we tend to give it direct to the waiter, if you enjoyed the meal what about the cook!!!  

I've just returned from the PI and I stayed a few days at a hotel but ate breakfast next door to the hotel.  I made sure that on my last day there I spoke to the chef and thanked him for the nice breakfasts I had, and I tipped the cook direct in addition to the wait staff.  I generally alway tip the guy who carries your bag up to your room when booking in a hotel, and I generally give taxi drivers a tip if they are good and pick up my bag etc. 

I honestly think the "Service Charge"is the best method of tipping as it makes sure everyone gets the recognition they deserve when you have a great stay or good meal, from the wait person, to the cook, to the cleaner and doorman and receptionist etc, otherwise only those that you see receive the reward and the rest of the the team miss out, unless the practice is to share the tips     

Generally agree.

Taxi drivers around Metro Manila are variable, some not extremely helpful. Others can be, if handling bags. I will not tip them as I learned in the Middle East, if taking a lot of taxi's the cost adds up. There's a good profit in the fare. For handling baggage I will give around 20 pesos. But sometimes they don't, they just click open the trunk and you do it.

stevewool
Posted
Posted

On one of our trips to the Mall of Asia we got the taxi there from Marikina and had a great day there , but trying to get a Taxi back it was very hard , it took ages to get one to take us back, most just said no and some wanted a silly price and my Ems would not pay it, then this chap in his taxi took us, yes a little older then some his car was, , he never spoke all the way back and when we got back to our place he said the price again and it was well bellow what other had wanted from us, he did have a big tip from me, and i had that many blessings and amen from this chap and all this for less then 50 peso tip, i would like to say a big amen to that

• Like 2

chris49
Posted
Posted

On one of our trips to the Mall of Asia we got the taxi there from Marikina and had a great day there , but trying to get a Taxi back it was very hard , it took ages to get one to take us back, most just said no and some wanted a silly price and my Ems would not pay it, then this chap in his taxi took us, yes a little older then some his car was, , he never spoke all the way back and when we got back to our place he said the price again and it was well bellow what other had wanted from us, he did have a big tip from me, and i had that many blessings and amen from this chap and all this for less then 50 peso tip, i would like to say a big amen to that

Now there's a good example Steve of when to tip.

I had one such driver who happened to be Ilocano, same as Gina. I got his number and will still call him if in Metro area. If he's in the area he will respond. A tip is definitely indicated, 50-100 or 50 plus a round out on the fare.

• Like 2

• 2 months later...
Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted (edited)
Franchise restaurants with service charge. Nothing

This is starting to get on my nerves in Philippines.  The restaurant owners are noticing all the tips going into the pockets of the employees and saying:  If them rich foreigners are gonna throw money at people then it might as well be me.

If no one ever tipped; the restaurant owners would never start adding a "service charge".  I agree about leaving nothing for a tip at any place that charges a service charge.  That charge is already built into their menu prices and I doubt very much they give all that money (or even the majority of it) to the staff I would have chosen to tip.

In addition, I go back to that establishment much less frequently than I go to other places.  I will not say that I don't go back when I get charged a service charge because that would be only hurting ME if I want to eat there.  But I question and re-question my decision to eat there every time I go and if there is any other alternative that will fulfill the cravings of the day the I shall go there.

In short, they are bastards.  The owners of the restaurant have no business telling ME how much I should tip THEIR staff.  Its between me and the staff member and the management who set the service charge are the bastards I refer to.  They get away with it when the competition does the same thing  Example, Shakeys does it now because Pizza Hut got away with it.  Thank goodness for Neva's Pizza and Yellow Cab.

Amazingly enough,  the customers are so apathetic that the place is still full, even when all the bills are getting a 12% charge dumped on them.  Foreign customers are stupid.

EDIT:  I used to think it was just small stuff and I did not worry about it, just like all the other patrons.  Then I started googling to see how bad it can get.  In India they are complaining about 29% getting added to their bills and if the establishment stays full of patrons then why would the management do anything else but laugh it off.  I wonder how bad it has to get before people just stop going there.

Edited by Dave Hounddriver
  • Like 1

jpbago
Posted
Posted
The owners of the restaurant have no business telling ME how much I should tip THEIR staff.

Once that you have got this changed in restaurants, I would like you to get the cruise ships to stop doing that. They give you envelopes with the department's name and how much to tip into each envelope. 

• Like 1

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted
If them rich foreigners are gonna throw money at people then it might as well be me.

Thing is Dave, unless I am completely misunderstanding your post, its all the customers not just foreigners getting nailed with the "service charge". The only charges I have seen are on cash register receipts (12% service charge or whatever) so unless they have a special key they only press when we are their, all the customers are getting slapped with it.

Only way I can see around it is to look for a receipt laying around from an previous customer and if there is a charge on it, don't go to the restaurant. 

But I do feel your anger, I think it affects me a bit less since I come from a tipping "culture". If I see that there is a service charge added, I just tip less.

• Like 1

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

If there is a service charge, one of us will ask does this cover "Staff Gratuities" normally they point to a Tip Tin, same thing really EH? like so many here I don't like to be told I must pay any service charge that never guarantees a better service than if there had not been a Service charge. I like to give direct according to the service and manners I got at the table as when it comes to manners from management they should Pay me an Attendance Charge. 

Jack  :thumbsup:

Morning All :morning1:

• Like 3

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
But I do feel your anger, I think it affects me a bit less since I come from a tipping "culture". If I see that there is a service charge added, I just tip less.

I like to tip also.  But to me, a tip is a voluntary gesture while a charge is a fee for doing business.  I would be much less annoyed if they stopped the surcharge and just raised the menu prices so you know exactly what you will pay.  

Thing is Dave, unless I am completely misunderstanding your post, its all the customers not just foreigners getting nailed with the "service charge".

Yes, all the customers are getting nailed with the service charge.  I was referring to how that charge originated. I doubt management decided to add a service charge because local people were giving too much money to the staff.  And on that line, with the amount of tips that are possible when customers start dropping 15% to the waitress I can imagine that the waitresses are living pretty good.  Perhaps the bosses don't like that?

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
I would like you to get the cruise ships to stop doing that.

We need to start an affirmative action  :28:

From now on, when any of us want to go on a cruise or to a restaurant that charges a service charge we need to email head office and ask for an exemption letter that says we don't have to pay their 'tax' OR we just won't use their service.

:cheersty:   (Yeah I know.  Good luck with that.)