MILK, good as fresh

Nephi
Posted
Posted
8 minutes ago, intrepid said:

Okay, I'm a milk drinker.  I drink a lot of milk by some standards.  1/2 - 1 gallon per day when in the US.  Now the milk I prefer is fat free or skim milk and I prefer it to be ice cold.  Sometimes I will keep my glass in the freezer.  So, now every time we have visited the Philippines over the years I have tried different milks in hope of finding the taste I like similar to what I like in my home area.  Each time I have failed.  All the box milk that I have tried is UHT and has a burnt taste to me.   Now since we move here living in Sta Rosa, Laguna, I started tasting again.  Even some fresh milk at S&R.  Still no joy.  But on a whim, my wife picked up a different brand box milk at Robinsons.  It costs only P130 for two box, 1 liter each.  I thought no no.  But never should I pre-judge.  After getting it cold I took a small sample taste, then a large drink.  WOW, finally a long big drink.  Wow wow wow!.  I found it.  I have seen it now at several stores so I suppose it is available all over Laguna and can only hope the whole Philippines.

Now I know not everyone's taste is the same.  But for those who have not found a milk to their liking and would like to sample my preference, this is my choice.  DEVONDALE Skim milk made from Fresh Milk.  Also worth noting, this product is made in Australia and is also Ultra Heat treated but does not have the burnt after taste as all the other milks I have tasted.

Of course the standard note of warning: YMMV

Thanks for the post/information. I'm a milk lover too and will look for it and give it a try. I've been using Cow Head and find it's okay to my taste but not like fresh. Thanks again.

Nephi

• Like 1

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted

Milk drinker here also, best I have been able to come up with is Nestles. Stick it in the freezer for a while before drinking and it takes care of the craving.:cornflakes:

• Like 4

Nephi
Posted
Posted
3 minutes ago, scott h said:

Milk drinker here also, best I have been able to come up with is Nestles. Stick it in the freezer for a while before drinking and it takes care of the craving.:cornflakes:

I looked at the Nestle also but then looked at the ingredients on the box. It has several added items including I think it was coconut oil etc. So I put it back on the shelf and got the Cow Head.

• Like 2

frosty (chris)
Posted
Posted
11 minutes ago, Nephi said:

I looked at the Nestle also but then looked at the ingredients on the box. It has several added items including I think it was coconut oil etc. So I put it back on the shelf and got the Cow Head.

Best I can find is Jolly Cow, it's non fat, it's ok, better than any other I have found. What I find amazing is I could buy litre box in Aus for 99 cents around 30 odd pesos, also could buy 2 litres of fresh milk for Aus $1.99 plastic carton.

• Like 2

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, Nephi said:

Nestle has a lot of milk brands.  The one I like is 100% UHT milk imported from New Zealand.  The whole milk is a green box and I drink the low fat in a blue box.  I think the non-fat is a white box but not sure.

These are the only UHT I have tried that don't have a chemical taste for me.  Even the other Nestle have a weird chemical taste.

Why didn't you like the "fresh" milk from S & R?  They had the Sunshine brand (from California) in Pampanga and I thought it was good, but expensive.

There are dairies down your way.  I used to get Karlen's fresh milk delivered here and it was pretty good.  I think it was from your area.  We stopped because it seemed like they were watering it down.  I might try it again.

• Like 1

intrepid
Posted
Posted
11 hours ago, OnMyWay said:

Nestle has a lot of milk brands.  The one I like is 100% UHT milk imported from New Zealand.  The whole milk is a green box and I drink the low fat in a blue box.  I think the non-fat is a white box but not sure.

Now thats one I have not tried.  I check it out. 

11 hours ago, OnMyWay said:

Why didn't you like the "fresh" milk from S & R?  They had the Sunshine brand (from California) in Pampanga and I thought it was good, but expensive.

For some reason it had a strange taste to me.  Even in my home town back in Maryland, I have prefer choices and some I do not like the taste.

• Like 1

mogo51
Posted
Posted
16 hours ago, frosty (chris) said:

Best I can find is Jolly Cow, it's non fat, it's ok, better than any other I have found. What I find amazing is I could buy litre box in Aus for 99 cents around 30 odd pesos, also could buy 2 litres of fresh milk for Aus $1.99 plastic carton.

Milk is very cheap in Aussie due to a price ware between the 2 major supermarkets Woolworths and Coles.

The meat in the sandwixh is the poor dairy farmer who is getting his margins squeezed and many are leaving the industry.  I cannot understand why the Government does not do something to protect a vital sector and allow these corporate giants to play games that affect the life of many hard working farmers.

There is a move afoot currently to do something about it, so I hope it ack to the topicomes off for the sake of the farmers.

Back to the topic Devondale has been around for a long time and produce a good product.   We Aussies are not totally lame.

• Like 1

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
17 hours ago, frosty (chris) said:

Best I can find is Jolly Cow,

Jolly good cow is my name to you buster. :56da64b64cbd8_36_6_31:

• Like 2

Sander Martin
Posted
Posted

We have fresh milk in Iloilo Supermarts, but the problem is the cost - 100pesos per 1 liter. Im a big milk and kefir drinker home, but not here. I dont like UHT milks. Most the UHT milks are skim or fat free - all the nutritious fats taken awey and all you have left is sugar water.

• Like 4