MILK, good as fresh

Nephi
Posted
Posted
10 minutes ago, Sander Martin said:

I buy the NZ butter aswell. I think a block of 250grams is abit over 100 pesos. Not really that expensive. You cant even compare the taste of the butter with crap margarine.

Unfortunately its allmost impossible to find non pasteurised milk in the shop anywhere in the world. You can still get it from your local farmer, tho it is illegal in meny countries... Still quite easy to find non homogenized milk.image.jpeg

This is the milk my local Iloilo Supermarket has for sale. Full cream milk. Taste is very nice, but so is the price at 90pesos a liter. I still grab a bottle everytime i visit the shop. Spoils quite fast so i buy it for same day consumption. Almost drank the full bottle with my dinner tonight :D.

Tried most of the UHT milks in the supermarkets here, but i just dont like the taste. Devondale is the best out of the bunch and i used to keep 1-2 in the pantry for emergency reservs when i lived in Australia. Didn't enjoy drinking it tho.

The milk looks but but yea it's expensive. 

12 minutes ago, Sander Martin said:

I buy the NZ butter aswell. I think a block of 250grams is abit over 100 pesos. Not really that expensive. You cant even compare the taste of the butter with crap margarine.

Unfortunately its allmost impossible to find non pasteurised milk in the shop anywhere in the world. You can still get it from your local farmer, tho it is illegal in meny countries... Still quite easy to find non homogenized milk.image.jpeg

This is the milk my local Iloilo Supermarket has for sale. Full cream milk. Taste is very nice, but so is the price at 90pesos a liter. I still grab a bottle everytime i visit the shop. Spoils quite fast so i buy it for same day consumption. Almost drank the full bottle with my dinner tonight :D.

Tried most of the UHT milks in the supermarkets here, but i just dont like the taste. Devondale is the best out of the bunch and i used to keep 1-2 in the pantry for emergency reservs when i lived in Australia. Didn't enjoy drinking it tho.

Yea that milk looks good for sure! The butter I use is the Queensland in the can (photo below) and is quite good. Most markets at shopping malls carry and is at about P315 per can

QUEENSLANDBUTTER.jpg

• Like 1

Sander Martin
Posted
Posted
5 minutes ago, Nephi said:

The milk looks but but yea it's expensive. 

Yea that milk looks good for sure! The butter I use is the Queensland in the can (photo below) and is quite good. Most markets at shopping malls carry and is at about P315 per can

QUEENSLANDBUTTER.jpg

Quite expensive and I haven't seen it for sale here. The only butter the supermarkets in Iloilo carry is Anchor butter from NZ. Its good and tasts just like butter should. 227 grams costs abit over 100 pesos. Not a bad price in my opinion for imported butter.

image.jpeg

• Like 2

HikiSpray
Posted
Posted

I only use milk for my coffee and cooking, so about 1L/day. The two brands I bought in the PH was Anchor and Arla, because they were 100% milk and the taste was ok for me. Arla is a big dairy company in Scandinavia, was amazed that I found milk from "home" in the province.

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted
17 hours ago, mogo51 said:

Yes if it does not have to be refrigerated, I can't see how there is much goodness left?

I had to explain to my wife... if it does not need refrigeration, it is not milk, cheese, or butter ha ha. 

I tried some of the UHTs and they were not exactly bad, but not exactly good.   So I gave up and only use milk for cooking.  I use Carnation evap milk. Out of the can it works in recipes like cream. Mix it 50/50 with water and it is almost milk.  Not really drinkable milk, but works great in recipes.

Also, it breaks my rule of needing refrigeration, before oipening - but my wife has not pointed out my hypocrisy. :tiphat:

• Like 2

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted

What about powdered milk. Is that available there these days other than baby formula?  :cornflakes:

• Like 1

mogo51
Posted
Posted
8 minutes ago, Tukaram (Tim) said:

I had to explain to my wife... if it does not need refrigeration, it is not milk, cheese, or butter ha ha. 

I tried some of the UHTs and they were not exactly bad, but not exactly good.   So I gave up and only use milk for cooking.  I use Carnation evap milk. Out of the can it works in recipes like cream. Mix it 50/50 with water and it is almost milk.  Not really drinkable milk, but works great in recipes.

Also, it breaks my rule of needing refrigeration, before oipening - but my wife has not pointed out my hypocrisy. :tiphat:

Yes if it does not have to be refrigerated, I can't see how there is much goodness left?

I use Carnation for coffee and cocoa, a pleasant alternative.  We get decent milk here in Pattaya 90bht a ltr.

intrepid
Posted
Posted
1 minute ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

What about powdered milk. Is that available there these days other than baby formula?  :cornflakes:

I have seen it in the stores but Have not tried it,..yet.  However, before moving here I had my wife buy some in the US in an attempt to if I could like it or maybe even acquire a taste for it.  After checking at the local grocery I found it cost even more than fresh milk.  Stopped me of my testing! 

Nephi
Posted
Posted
25 minutes ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

Yes, there is Bear Brand powdered milk but it's loaded with vegetable oil and other things. There is also Nido I think it's called. 100% full cream milk - or so it says on TV. I've not tried it but might do that just to see.

Nephi

frosty (chris)
Posted
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

Available just about everywhere here, my girl buys it to sell in her sorry store. I buy UHT milk for home but S will not use it, has to be powdered milk or nothing, same as a lot of locals.

Edited by frosty (chris)
spelin
  • Like 1

mogo51
Posted
Posted

I remember being given it by my Mum when I was young (a bloody long time ago) and it was cr.,p, maybe it is better now, it would need to be.

• Like 1