MILK, good as fresh

mogo51
Posted
Posted

Yes if it does not have to be refrigerated, I can't see how there is much goodness left?

• Like 1

Nephi
Posted
Posted
7 hours ago, mogo51 said:

Milk is very cheap in Aussie due to a price ware between the 2 major supermarkets Woolworths and Coles.

The meat in the sandwixh is the poor dairy farmer who is getting his margins squeezed and many are leaving the industry.  I cannot understand why the Government does not do something to protect a vital sector and allow these corporate giants to play games that affect the life of many hard working farmers.

There is a move afoot currently to do something about it, so I hope it ack to the topicomes off for the sake of the farmers.

Back to the topic Devondale has been around for a long time and produce a good product.   We Aussies are not totally lame.

Yea, I understand that there are a lot of milk dairies there and like in the States, quality is most important. I'll have to look for that Devondale brand and give it a try. 

• Like 2

Queenie O.
Posted
Posted

I'll have to look for Devondale in Cebu City tomorrow. I love milk and find that Nestle's and Cowhead are my favorites, Isn't all this kind of milk from NZ or Australia now? I love the Cowhead Strawberry Milk which I cut half with plain milk to make it a little less sweet. You can't find it everywhere, but it's great. I drink low-fat and regular. Cooking and baking with this milk still makes for good recipes.

I only wish that I could find half and half for coffee, and whipped cream in the spray can that wasn't" through the roof" price wise.

• Like 1

Queenie O.
Posted
Posted

I looked at the Nestle also but then looked at the ingredients on the box. It has several added items including I think it was coconut oil etc. So I put it back on the shelf and got the Cow Head.

Gee--I was just looking at the cartons of Nestle Non-fat and Fresh Milk that I had in the fridge. Both say 100% fresh cow's milk. Maybe that was a different item..

• Like 1

Nephi
Posted
Posted
14 minutes ago, Queenie O. said:

I'll have to look for Devondale in Cebu City tomorrow. I love milk and find that Nestle's and Cowhead are my favorites, Isn't all this kind of milk from NZ or Australia now? I love the Cowhead Strawberry Milk which I cut half with plain milk to make it a little less sweet. You can't find it everywhere, but it's great. I drink low-fat and regular. Cooking and baking with this milk still makes for good recipes.

I only wish that I could find half and half for coffee, and whipped cream in the spray can that wasn't" through the roof" price wise.

Doubt you'll find Half & Half but you might try any duty free store on Clark or in Subic for the whipped cream. If you find it, buy lots as when it's gone it could take months for the store to have more in stock.

Nephi

Nephi
Posted
Posted
9 minutes ago, Queenie O. said:

I looked at the Nestle also but then looked at the ingredients on the box. It has several added items including I think it was coconut oil etc. So I put it back on the shelf and got the Cow Head.

Gee--I was just looking at the cartons of Nestle Non-fat and Fresh Milk that I had in the fridge. Both say 100% fresh cow's milk. Maybe that was a different item..

Yea, must be a different one. The only ones I saw had loads of other stuff in it..

Sander Martin
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Nephi said:

Yea, must be a different one. The only ones I saw had loads of other stuff in it..

You guys should really look into fat free and skim milks before you buy them again. They are not healthy like the big money hungry corporations tell you.

A good read for a start http://butterbeliever.com/fat-free-dairy-skim-milk-secrets/

• Like 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted

I'll read the article later but I know where you are coming from and I probably agree.  The problem is that even whole fresh milk is usually pasteurized and homogenized, which removes a lot of the goodness.  The best is raw milk but that is not likely to happen here in the Philippines, for wide distribution.

There is a dairy in Baguio and I think it has raw milk.  I bought some but forgot to ask.  Read a bit about it here, and I have also wanted to try that Cafe in the Sky.  We passed by it last trip just after it had opened:

https://findgoodbaguiofoods.com/2014/12/17/destination-chow-mt-santo-tomas-cafe-in-the-sky-and-baguio-dairy-farm/#more-15422

• Like 2

Nephi
Posted
Posted
57 minutes ago, Sander Martin said:

You guys should really look into fat free and skim milks before you buy them again. They are not healthy like the big money hungry corporations tell you.

A good read for a start http://butterbeliever.com/fat-free-dairy-skim-milk-secrets/

Interesting article. In most cases I use whole milk and buy the Queensland real butter from New Zealand. The butter in particular is quite good and makes all the difference in the world especially in cooking.

• Like 2

Sander Martin
Posted
Posted
6 minutes ago, Nephi said:

Interesting article. In most cases I use whole milk and buy the Queensland real butter from New Zealand. The butter in particular is quite good and makes all the difference in the world especially in cooking.

I buy the NZ butter aswell. I think a block of 250grams is abit over 100 pesos. Not really that expensive. You cant even compare the taste of the butter with crap margarine.

53 minutes ago, OnMyWay said:

I'll read the article later but I know where you are coming from and I probably agree.  The problem is that even whole fresh milk is usually pasteurized and homogenized, which removes a lot of the goodness.  The best is raw milk but that is not likely to happen here in the Philippines, for wide distribution.

There is a dairy in Baguio and I think it has raw milk.  I bought some but forgot to ask.  Read a bit about it here, and I have also wanted to try that Cafe in the Sky.  We passed by it last trip just after it had opened:

https://findgoodbaguiofoods.com/2014/12/17/destination-chow-mt-santo-tomas-cafe-in-the-sky-and-baguio-dairy-farm/#more-15422

Unfortunately its allmost impossible to find non pasteurised milk in the shop anywhere in the world. You can still get it from your local farmer, tho it is illegal in meny countries... Still quite easy to find non homogenized milk.image.jpeg

This is the milk my local Iloilo Supermarket has for sale. Full cream milk. Taste is very nice, but so is the price at 90pesos a liter. I still grab a bottle everytime i visit the shop. Spoils quite fast so i buy it for same day consumption. Almost drank the full bottle with my dinner tonight :D.

Tried most of the UHT milks in the supermarkets here, but i just dont like the taste. Devondale is the best out of the bunch and i used to keep 1-2 in the pantry for emergency reservs when i lived in Australia. Didn't enjoy drinking it tho.

• Like 1