Visitors at the house-dialogue

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, mogo51 said:

Still comes down to manners when they can speak English but choose not to do so - in your house. IMO.

Their version of manners is not the same as ours.  I doubt it ever will be.  We just have to accept it.

• Like 3

bows00
Posted
Posted
5 hours ago, Onemore52 said:

I WILL PASS on the directive that I start taking lessons in Tagalog.

That is totally up to you, but if you decide to live there, the consequences are the same...

bows00
Posted
Posted

My goal is to learn the language to the point where I can understand the gossip of ladies.   What the heck, what better thing could we do but study the language during retirement, especially if you live there.  To me, it is like anything else that requires a bit of discipline.  Just commit to it, put in 1/2 hour a day, and within a year you will be amazed at the results... and continue to grow for two years and I believe you will be able to understand just about everything they throw at you.  

It is the same principle to hitting the gym and working out to get healthier, just develop a routine.  Your retired, you have all the time in the world, just take it one piece at a time.  Just as the late Zig Zigglar once said, "by the mile it's a trial, by the inch, it's a sinch....

• Like 3

Onemore52
Posted
Posted

Advice noted, however my mother is still alive.

• Like 1

Sander Martin
Posted
Posted

About the Filipinos that live overseas getting together and talking in their native tongue.

Some of you English speaking guys wont understand how important it is for a non English speaker to talk in their native language from time to time. You dont have that problem as you can speak English pretty much anywhere in the world. Living in US or UK they probably wont be able to use their native language. I dont see anything wrong with her inviting her guests over for a few hours to speaks in their native tongue. If you dont want to listne at womens gossip, you could just leave and do something else. For me it's different if both of you invite the guests. I would expet the guests to communicate with both of the hosts. Its not like your going to invite the guests over and then leave the house..

You cant force anyone tho and I wouldn't stress over it if they ignore you. You can just ignore them (specially if the only time they look and talk to you is when they want free beer).

When i lived in NZ and Western Australia, then i also looked for other Estonians to speak in my native language. Tho when it was a mixed group we changed into English. One of my good mates had a Aussi wife and she knew that whenever it was boys beers night it would be couple Estonian guys speaking Estonian and drinking beer. She didn't mind and just went and did her things. When she did join us for beers, we changed over to english. When Anne came to Australia, we went to the East Coast and stayed a week in Gold Coast with her good friend (Filipina) and her Kiwi husband. They talked in Tagalog when they were together and changed to English when me and Vincent were in the group.

Again im talking about people that are fluent or atleast good in English. 

Theres a couple local drunks always at the Sari-Sari that don't speak english, but you would be surprised on how a bottle or two of redhorse teaches you english ?. They insist on talking to me anytime i go into the Sari Sari. They dont have to and I appreciate that they try ?.

• Like 2

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, chris49 said:

Also noted you edited the original post one hour ago but the misquote is still there.

I would like to get this cleared up so please look at this picture.  Its a screenshot of what I see after I edited the original post.  Do you see the same thing?  I changed the quote to include your entire post.

Edited view.png

chris49
Posted
Posted

I am sure the site owner and you a moderator would not like me to continue debating on this topic so I won't make any further comment or reply.

Yes, I see what you have done.

Paul_QLD
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, Sander Martin said:

Theres a couple local drunks always at the Sari-Sari that don't speak english, but you would be surprised on how a bottle or two of redhorse teaches you english ?. They insist on talking to me anytime i go into the Sari Sari. They dont have to and I appreciate that they try ?.

Bit of a funny story that happened on my second last trip to the province.

It so happened this one afternoon that one of my brother in law's had a couple of his mates at the house at about the same time as I normally have a Red Horse. One I had met on previous trips but hardly spoken to him much - seems to be the local go getter for the barangay, turns the street lights on and off each night/morning, nicknamed the local coconut pilot, does a bit of the running around for the barangay officials, seems like a nice guy and the other guy I hadn't met before.

Well we settled into a couple of Litro's and as time progressed my brother in law who I have a good relationship even tho his english is limited (because he is too shy to use it in front of me) and the Coconut Pilot got into a verbal argument about how bad each others english was - in English! (The three guys were trying to speak as much english as they could handle before nose bleed out of respect for the guy who bought all the beer, no doubt hoping it would continue flowing!)

Anyways back to the verbal argument, the more beer they swallowed, the more they argued in English and believe me, there English was bloody good after about 5 or 6 litro's of Red Horse - better than mine at that stage of the afternoon :)

• Like 3

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, chris49 said:

I am sure the site owner and you a moderator would not like me to continue debating on this topic so I won't make any further comment or reply.

Yes, I see what you have done.

As I am confused (once again) of what is the actual problem is here either sort it out by PM with Dave or explain to me in a PM if there is an issue.  :thumbsup: