Do most Expats have cars?

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
6 minutes ago, sonjack2847 said:

who knows I might run it into the ground

You'll be putting on those kind of miles looking for a place to park around this dang place. :hystery:

• Like 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
2 minutes ago, sonjack2847 said:

I will be getting some kind of car here soon but I don`t think I will be putting anything like that amount of miles on it.Only time will tell and who knows I might run it into the ground with the new found freedom.

My daughters school is 6 km from the house.  Back forth, 2 trips a day, that is 24 km a day.  So that adds up.  And now that I think about it for the last 1-2 years I have been going to a doctor in Angeles quite often, around 150 km roundtrip, so that adds a lot.  Hopefully my treatment there will be done soon.  We also take shopping trips to Angeles and San Fernando often.  And the long trips to Baguio.

bows00
Posted
Posted

I haven't read the entire thread of responses, but through all my travels there, so far, the only place I find I will need a car would be in the Subic Freeport Zone area.  

Dr. Shiva
Posted
Posted (edited)

With kids it is better to have a car. We have some relatives living in Ormoc City having huge issues getting their kids to the schools using public transportation. Since the last city regulations affecting that older or in suboptimal conditions are no longer allowed to be used in the city. This causes the leftover vehicles being completely overcrowded. Up to 60 people in a jeepney inside and on the roof. How will you even being able to get several kids into a such vehicle. Even the tricycles are overcrowded. Therefore they want to buy a cheap multicab.

In the Subic Freeport Zone are the houses not cheap and then have to add a car on top would strain the budget quite seriously. It seems no longer possible to get a house for 4M and below in the area except looking inside of Olongapo.

Edit: I want a location where my wife can use public transportation without having to rely on me to ride somewhere.

Edited by Dr. Shiva

Happyhorn52
Posted
Posted

I bought a used car (2009 Toyota Fortuner) three months after moving to Angeles City. I don't like trikes (To Small) and I don't like being priced gouged by trike drivers. Since i prefer not to ride jeepne's then buying a used car was the only way to go.

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted
9 hours ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

You'll be putting on those kind of miles looking for a place to park around this dang place. :hystery:

If I used it to go into town I would park in front of my bank and use the atm then tell the guard I will only be 5 mins I have to pop over there done and dusted.Either that or leave it at home as it is much easier to park the bike.Or I would just call you and tell you I have a bad ankle and could you help me out:thumbsup:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
18 minutes ago, sonjack2847 said:

I would park in front of my bank and use the atm then tell the guard I will only be 5 mins I have to pop over there done and dusted.

When I think about it, Chin Loong could do a good business in drive through beers to all the people driving around the block because they can't find parking.  No need to worry about your idea catching on with the locals.  The ones with cars won't walk 5 minutes. :hystery:   For me, I just make sure I arrive where I need to me a couple hours early to be sure of finding a parking space, then walk home, have a coffee, and walk back when I'm supposed to be there :bonk:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted
50 minutes ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

When I think about it, Chin Loong could do a good business in drive through beers to all the people driving around the block because they can't find parking.  No need to worry about your idea catching on with the locals.  The ones with cars won't walk 5 minutes. :hystery:   For me, I just make sure I arrive where I need to me a couple hours early to be sure of finding a parking space, then walk home, have a coffee, and walk back when I'm supposed to be there :bonk:

Well Dave you and me don`t mind walking a while but some people wont or cant walk so I think if you need to go to town get as close to where you want to be and park.If you want to park outside of Lee plaza or some other shop/place then maybe you could have a problem.

• Like 1

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
2 minutes ago, sonjack2847 said:

if you need to go to town get as close to where you want to be and park.

I try not to go to the City at Busy times and certainly will not turn into the Drive around Brigade We tend to park up by the PNB by the Jeepney Stand (Usually plenty of Parking as the Locals don't use the area as it is Too far to walk back) 5/6 mins walk to Lee P, we shop and take it over with us to Robinsons and leave at the Customer Services, Downstairs for the Dog Food at handyman, Do what we need in the Supermarket. Leave it all at Robinsons. Do what we need to do (have a Coffee usually) Then I walk up for the car and "A" gets the lads to help her down with the bags to the Entrance and all I have to do is pull up in the Drop off Zone and Whalla, All done and let's go home.  

Obviously we do what else we need to (Pharmacy, haircut and things) before we do any food Shopping.

I don't take the Car when we meet as not only have I had a beer, Parking will always be a problem in the City. Better I ride down with Kev (Sonjack)  (by Trike) and we share the cost and all is well :thumbsup:

• Like 2

AlwaysRt
Posted
Posted

Another strategy several people use, especially those outside standard public transportation routes, or where you would have to transfer several times, is to dive to the outskirts, park and take a trike from there.

• Like 3