Do most Expats have cars?

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

Having said all that in my last post, I would add that we are fairly Lucky in the Main, Dumaguete is not a Big City and can be walked in an Hour or so. Once Parked and you can get you Need to do in Order, needing the Car during the Visit to the City is just not necessary, Wise shopping and route planning on Foot is the way to go. My biggest peeve when shopping with "A" is her back and forth places we had no need to go back and forth for. Yeah OK, when they need a new dress, shoes, Bags then they must and they will, I just bribe tm to go with her and then text me where they will be :smile: Life can become easier if we plan:thumbsup:

• Like 4

AlwaysRt
Posted
Posted
11 minutes ago, Jack Peterson said:

Yeah OK, when they need a new dress, shoes, Bags then they must and they will, I just bribe tm to go with her and then text me where they will be :smile: Life can become easier if we plan:thumbsup:

We have Friday 'shopping day', we go to Duma, she goes shopping, I go get a message. Easy peasy. :cheersty:

• Like 2

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
1 minute ago, AlwaysRt said:

We have Friday 'shopping day', we go to Duma, she goes shopping, I go get a message. Easy peasy. :cheersty:

Ok, Ok,moving on.png I will leave this one for another  Scratching Head.jpg you ask?

AlwaysRt
Posted
Posted
21 minutes ago, Jack Peterson said:

Ok, Ok,moving on.png I will leave this one for another  Scratching Head.jpg you ask?

I will answer the question not asked by giving a definition. For me, when having a massage the term 'Happy Ending' means.... my back is not hurting when I leave.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
34 minutes ago, AlwaysRt said:

:unsure:

5 minutes ago, AlwaysRt said:

I will answer the question not asked by giving a definition. For me, when having a massage the term 'Happy Ending' means.... my back is not hurting when I leave.

No mate I was never meaning that at all, it is just that over the last day or two we seem to be having a Hit on Misspelling and I did not want to appear to be the petty one on your original quote:wink:

• Haha 1

AlwaysRt
Posted
Posted
18 minutes ago, Jack Peterson said:

:unsure:

No mate I was never meaning that at all, it is just that over the last day or two we seem to be having a Hit on Misspelling and I did not want to appear to be the petty one on your original quote:wink:

hahahaha, I got up hurting at 4:30 this morning so I missed your message, maybe I need a massage so I feel better :hystery:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

davewe
Posted
Posted (edited)

I am one of those people who like trikes. I'm small enough to get in them (well sort of), they're cheap and I have not had many of the terrible experiences some have had. Overall it's a lot cheaper than owning and driving a car.

All that said, I knew I would be buying a car in the Philippines and we did just that within a month of our arrival. Yes, I like trikes, but there's a limit. I now take one occasionally but we mostly drive.

Plus, now that we are living in Valencia, trikes are no longer nearly as cheap and easy as within the core of the city. As Jack said, the key to driving is planning. For example, I expect to park in Robinsons and take a trike to meet the gang for beers this week. 

This past weekend I finally bit the bullet and took the car off the island for a mini vacation to Moalboal. The Roro was convenient, we drive an hour north to Alcoy for a day with the family and then drove maybe three hours around the island to Moalboal. On the way back we just headed directly to Liloan, saving me some energy. I still like driving but after a couple hours I am tired and it loses its charm. Now considering the buses are pretty convenient to all of the places we went I may not do the car thing if we ever made such a trip again. But it was nice to have the option.

Yes you can absolutely live in the Philippines without a car or motor bike and many do. But for me the car makes life a little easier. 

Edited by davewe
  • Like 2

Dr. Shiva
Posted
Posted

Due my small size I'm completely compatible with Philippine public transportation. Even the seats in the buses are no issue for me. 

Owning a car and still have to ride a public transport for a part of the travel just because the downtown area of the city is overparked sounds quite pricey solution but still is offering the flexibility of to have own car.

• Like 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted

I didn't re-read this entire thread, but I am surprised that more people don't mention the safety issue with trikes.  You have no protection in an accident.  Go on you tube and search Philippines Trike Accidents.  In normal stop and go traffic speeds, jeepneys offer some protection as they are built like tanks.

And the pollution is the worst when riding a trike.  You are down low sucking in all the jeepney exhaust.  My lungs can't take it.

• Like 1

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, OnMyWay said:

In normal stop and go traffic speeds, jeepneys offer some protection as they are built like tanks.

Yes thats about as far as safety goes.  Higher speeds  and its history.