Morning Stiffness

Queenie O.
Posted
Posted

As I've said before, I used to go to the chiropractor once a month to stay looser and more comfortable. The tropical heat for me really seems to sink into my body, and moving around here seems a lot easier. Out of necessity I probably have a more physical daily routine out in my garden, but I find I can be more agile now than I was before.

Sometimes my husband will get a back and neck massage at one of the "blind massage" places in the city. Many blind people are trained in massage here and find work in these businesses. Nothing fancy, but he swears by them.

• Like 4

Queenie O.
Posted
Posted
12 hours ago, AlwaysRt said:

After injuring my back in 1991 I finally figured out in 1994 that deep tissue massage (the damn that hurts kind) once or twice a week keeps the pain manageable for general daily activities. Massage for me is like a once a week prescription medicine.

Got hit by one of the crazy motorcycle drivers back in April and twisted and rotated my back. Enhanced the massage with a few trips to the Chiropractor who straightened me out.

Also did a few visits to a helot which is an old school Filipino healer. Kind of massage therapy with a twist. A helot may be the best solution for specific areas of pain, like joint pain (maybe including arthritis?). Where massage is muscle related and chiropractic is bone position related, a helot is blood flow and therefore oxygen related. Using massage and pressure points a helot treatment can hurt more than deep tissue massage but the body responds very quickly to increased blood flow and oxygen to a problem area, allowing the body to heal itself.

I agree. Also, many actually can manipulate you also. My husband's cousin could intuitively manipulate an injured person with a lot of success by moving them in a particular way.

Queenie O.
Posted
Posted
20 minutes ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

54 minutes ago, Old55 said:

During my visits to Philippines I get massage and see Dr Pardis at Ayala Center.

I did in the past, but his rates went from 500 pesos a visit to 2000 pesos a visit over the last 8 years and thats a huge amount for us p'oreigners

That could really add up over time. Plus you'd have to live nearby.

• Like 1

Nephi
Posted
Posted

Good topic Kuya John,

I'm 64 now and have lived here in the Philippines for 13 yrs now. I noticed back in the States that mornings were a bit tough at times and there, headaches due to the heat were a problem. Since moving here and even though I'm older now; I feel much better and don't have the muscle tightness at all. Also the headaches are gone even though it's very hot here. There is something different about the tropical kind of heat I notice but can't describe. For me at least, it is much better here in the islands and I seem to age more slowly here too. Only weather related issue for me is that I have COPD from too many years of smoking so the humidity does bother the breathing at times.

Nephi

• Like 4

RBM
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

I did in the past, but his rates went from 500 pesos a visit to 2000 pesos a visit over the last 8 years and thats a huge amount for us p'oreigners

I also used this chap for a shoulder  problem which occurred during gym. Found in my case did more harm than good.

• Like 1

AlwaysRt
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

Dr. Mike - Berovic Chiropractic in Sibulan was p1,000 per visit when I saw him in May/June. He takes his time and knows his stuff. Not one of those high impact "come here and let me jerk you around till you pop" guys.

• Like 2

chris49
Posted
Posted
On ‎8‎/‎25‎/‎2016 at 6:04 PM, Queenie O. said:

As I've said before, I used to go to the chiropractor once a month to stay looser and more comfortable. The tropical heat for me really seems to sink into my body, and moving around here seems a lot easier. Out of necessity I probably have a more physical daily routine out in my garden, but I find I can be more agile now than I was before.

Sometimes my husband will get a back and neck massage at one of the "blind massage" places in the city. Many blind people are trained in massage here and find work in these businesses. Nothing fancy, but he swears by them.

Blind Masseurs. Yes had them in Thailand all male. Uncanny ability to find pressure points. I did not know they had them in the Philippines. My experience is over 20 years ago but:SugarwareZ-005:If that's the right icon, hope so.

• Like 2

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted

I used to suffer badly with my joints mostly in the top of my spine.  Since moving here 5 years ago I have not needed a Chiropractor once. In the mornings I don`t get the aches and pains I used to have in my joints.

• Like 2

Gratefuled
Posted
Posted
23 minutes ago, Reboot said:

I'm in my 40s but I still wake up stiff in the mornings. 

So do I :smile: I'm not complaining, maybe bragging. :whistling:

• Like 3