Where do you draw the line

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
5 minutes ago, jpbago said:

23% is now added to the room rate. I don't know if it VAT or service charge plus VAT.

Whatever, that is almost a 100% hike in 9+ years :whistling: bet the wages are not up that %:89:

jpbago
Posted
Posted

Just saw this:

Greetings from Cebu!

The tax structure in the Philippines is currently as follows:

Rooms, Laundry, Transportation:

VAT - 12%

Local Tax - 0.75%

Food:

VAT - 12%

Local Tax - 2.5%

Beverage:

VAT - 12%

Local Tax - 0.6%

All of the above has a 10% Service charge in addition

• Like 2

mogo51
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, Gratefuled said:

In the US, many if not most restaurants include a "service charge" if more than one waiter or waitress is assigned to a table. This usually occurs when there are many dinner guests. How many is up to the restaurant. It avoids tipping. 

Another person who will get a tip would be the Chef.

Still another would be the bartender who mixes special drinks for the customers who are dining. 

I'm not sure if the Maitre D gets a tip but if he selects a good table for your dining pleasure he should.

Like for instance if you want a very private romantic place to sit and dine. Maybe you would like a table close to the stage or dance floor. 

My tip - Race 4 No. 2

• Like 2

mogo51
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, jpbago said:

23% is now added to the room rate. I don't know if it VAT or service charge plus VAT.

Yes a nice rob that, when booking on line.  It is Vat, service charge and some other rob.

• Like 2

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted
3 minutes ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

Be careful with that.  2 years ago I went to Agoda and was going to book Crimson Hotel in Alabang but they said the same as you: 23% will be added blah blah.  So I went direct to the hotel reservation, inhouse, site.  I got the same price Agoda was charging and it was all-in.  There was no extra percentage whatsoever.

I am not saying there was no tax/service charge or what-have-you.  I am saying some include it in the price of the room and don't use it as an add-on.  

I have never come across these add ons all the ones I have booked before seem to be all in.

• Like 1

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
9 minutes ago, sonjack2847 said:

I have never come across these add ons all the ones I have booked before seem to be all in.

Much of the good parts are if you have Prepaid on Booking. The bad parts are when you stay extra or only pay one night and then pay at the end of your stay, Then on Checkout you get the "Service charge.

• Like 2

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted
32 minutes ago, Jack Peterson said:

Much of the good parts are if you have Prepaid on Booking. The bad parts are when you stay extra or only pay one night and then pay at the end of your stay, Then on Checkout you get the "Service charge.

I`ve stayed in 7 resorts/hotels here and never came across it,maybe I was just lucky.

• Like 3

Gratefuled
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

I am saying some include it in the price of the room and don't use it as an add-on.  

This is how VAT is suppose to be. It should not be a "hidden tax".  Value Added Tax

It is a tax passed on to the customer but should be already included in the price.  

The only extra cost of a service or an item would/should be sales tax and/or service charge. ( not VAT)

Oh, but that's the way its done here , Duh , ok.

AlwaysRt
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Gratefuled said:

This is how VAT is suppose to be. It should not be a "hidden tax".  Value Added Tax

It is a tax passed on to the customer but should be already included in the price.  

The only extra cost of a service or an item would/should be sales tax and/or service charge. ( not VAT)

Oh, but that's the way its done here , Duh , ok.

Also it seems quite often things don't mean what they say anymore either. The alphabet soup of letters followed by an added percentage is becoming code for 'BS excuse to charge you more'

• Like 5