Where do you draw the line

earthdome
Posted
Posted
On 6/9/2017 at 6:19 PM, JJReyes said:

Olive Garden and similar restaurants now have a computer terminal on your table to calculate the bill and add the suggested tip. It is set at 20%. You can adjust the amount up or down, but they have trained the wait staff to look disappointed if it's lower than 20%. 

I found a great solution! Take my business elsewhere.

Another solution. Drinks are getting expensive at restaurants. At least $2 per person. Order service water instead and use the money you saved on the drinks for your tip.

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted
On 6/11/2017 at 10:07 AM, robert k said:

I went whale watching once on the streets of Porkland Oregon. I really don't see what the big deal is?:89: Did I misspell that?

I grew up in a Porkland suburb.  I am sure you must be familiar with Beavertown.  :shades:

• Like 2

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
5 hours ago, earthdome said:

Another solution. Drinks are getting expensive at restaurants. At least $2 per person. Order service water instead and use the money you saved on the drinks for your tip.

Here is how I read that, it may not be what you meant so please elaborate:  It sounds like you are saying that people who have a limited amount of disposable income should not drink an alcoholic beverage with their meal, but instead give that money to the young person who brings their food so that young person can go have an alcoholic beverage after his/her shift.

If this is the case then I would suggest:  Anyone who cannot afford to leave a tip they are comfortable with for the meal they want to eat should not be dining at that restaurant OR it could mean the tipping system has gotten out of hand.

Perhaps we could handle it this way:  When the waiter comes to your table and says: My name is Joe and I'll be your server for this evening; then I could reply: My name is Dave, I am happy to be your customer but may I ask in advance what the service charge will be so I can budget for that?   Sound silly?  And yet we do that with most other purchases.

• Like 3

JJReyes
Posted
Posted
2 minutes ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

Here is how I read that, it may not be what you meant so please elaborate:  It sounds like you are saying that people who have a limited amount of disposable income should not drink an alcoholic beverage with their meal, but instead give that money to the young person who brings their food so that young person can go have an alcoholic beverage after his/her shift.

My research indicates that the origin of the word is British (I found someone to blame!) from the word "tipple" a slang word indicating a drink at the local pub. For good service, you gave an amount equal to one drink. 

• Like 1

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, JJReyes said:

For good service, you gave an amount equal to one drink. 

:89: Based on that. the Following would be the answer in peso

:console: 1. 59  at  Casablanca.

:mellow:     2. 40 at CoCo (When open)

:whistling:  3. 40/45 at Why not.

:huh:      4. 55 at Flip Flops.

:thumbsup:     5. 21 at my Local SORI SORI ( guess where I drink most of the Time) :hystery:

NAH I will stay my old Skinflint at stay with my 20 peso to the Girl as I leave ( Or the Change depending) :whistling:

As said before I think 20 peso is the right amount if only having a beer or 8:smile:

EDIT, these G & G's, are bars in Dumaguete that we may at times frequent.

Edited by Jack Peterson
Just because I felt the need ha ha
  • Like 4

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
17 minutes ago, JJReyes said:

For good service, you gave an amount equal to one drink. 

There may be something to that, when it comes to tipping in a pub situation.

In my younger days, in Canada, if a half dozen (or so) of us young men would go to the pub and buy rounds.  Invariably, the one paying would say something like "6 draft please, and add one for yourself" to the waitress.  So every round the waitress pocketed the price of one draft.

We stopped doing that because there was always that one guy who would try to be the 6th person to buy a round, and then after round 5 he would look at his watch and say: " Ooooh look at the time!  I gotta get home or my wife's gonna kill me."  And then skip out before paying his round.

• Like 1

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
7 minutes ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

" Ooooh look at the time!  I gotta get home or my wife's gonna kill me."  And then skip out before paying his round.

:hystery: OH YES! and then  there were those that always seemed to walk in around the 2nd or 3rd Round orders and get invited, Hi Thingy what's yours. 10 bob Millionaires we called them :mellow:

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Mike J said:

I grew up in a Porkland suburb.  I am sure you must be familiar with Beavertown.  :shades:

Don`t they also call that place Pataya.

AlwaysRt
Posted
Posted
5 hours ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

If this is the case then I would suggest:  Anyone who cannot afford to leave a tip they are comfortable with for the meal they want to eat should not be dining at that restaurant OR it could mean the tipping system has gotten out of hand.

Perhaps we could handle it this way:  When the waiter comes to your table and says: My name is Joe and I'll be your server for this evening; then I could reply: My name is Dave, I am happy to be your customer but may I ask in advance what the service charge will be so I can budget for that?   Sound silly?  And yet we do that with most other purchases.

Another way to handle it is to order 'Take House', beck in the US I would get 'Take Out'. Still get the meal but avoid the higher drink prices and a tip.

• Like 1

AlwaysRt
Posted
Posted
5 hours ago, Jack Peterson said:

:89: Based on that. the Following would be the answer in peso

:console: 1. 59  at  Casablanca.

:mellow:     2. 40 at CoCo (When open)

:whistling:  3. 40/45 at Why not.

:huh:      4. 55 at Flip Flops.

:thumbsup:     5. 21 at my Local SORI SORI ( guess where I drink most of the Time) :hystery:

NAH I will stay my old Skinflint at stay with my 20 peso to the Girl as I leave ( Or the Change depending) :whistling:

As said before I think 20 peso is the right amount if only having a beer or 8:smile:

EDIT, these G & G's, are bars in Dumaguete that we may at times frequent.

Don't forget, we aren't in Kansas errr umm England anymore so that calculation does not apply here. For those that 'must' leave a tip, 20 pesos sounds quite reasonable around here.

• Like 5