Raising a half-American child in the Philippines

jpbago
Posted
Posted
12 hours ago, MikeB said:

The Philippines has a big advantage of being the sole Asian country where English is widely known. But ESL training is booming in China and Korea, they’re hiring Filipinos to teach rudimentary English online and paying little. The big advantage will become less and less over time.

Many thousands of Chinese, Vietnamese, and Koreans are studying English in Canada.

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
5 minutes ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

This means the child may "start class" at 9PM (Philippine time) but then go to bed and get up and continue.

:smile: Bit Like PEF Then EH? Come and go as you please and catch up later :whistling:

• Like 3

Nickleback99
Posted
Posted
7 hours ago, Reedster said:

Has anyone tried to use a US-approved home schooling program for their child?  

I have a two-year-old daughter, and we are considering home schooling here.  If it works well, might move to Cebu and continue it.

Thoughts anyone?

I'm in the same boat, as son turns 3 this coming Oct, and since he's exposed to English, Tagalog and Japanese rt now on a daily basis, a little behind on "talking" or making sentences...even sounds like the Minions language sometimes! :hystery: .... but thoughts are he'll likely be multi lingual by 4 like some of my friends here have experienced in Japan when kids were slow to speak either language early, and he seems to understand a lot of what we tell him already.    As for schools in PI, we are thinking to add in some home school to supplement going to a private school of some sort in PI when we move down to Dumaguete in 2018 now, at least through elementary school, but figure by middle school, I'll be behind on truly helping him in algebra, etc; so, have a back up plan then for moving back to US if need be.  However, I've friends who've had success in the higher priced private schools there in PI, except those may not be where we prefer to live, but then again, gotta do what's best for kids when time comes and will continually reassess the situation each year.  I'm 58 now, so , no spring chicken and will be around 73 when he graduates High School.....I'm sure I'll hear "So nice your grandpa could come to your graduation" !    Decisions, Decisions.   

• Like 3

• 1 year later...
Mark Berkowitz
Posted
Posted (edited)

old thread.JPG

OK, it's quite old but I wanted to provide an update:

It took a while for me to make a final decision, but I made one during August.  My Fil-Am son has officially become a Murikan, since he now has his CRBA and US Passport, but now I’m still working on getting a visa for my DW.

Last week was my DW’s interview at the US Embassy for her IR-1 Visa, and lo and behold, she was given a pink 221-g slip, which means: 

Now, I have to leave the Phils in January to re-establish my domicile back in the good ol’ usa.

Wish me luck :fingerscrossed_80_anim_gif:

Edited by Mark Berkowitz
grammar etc.
  • Like 2
  • Love it 1

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

Congratulations Mark!

• Thanks 1

graham59
Posted
Posted

Congratulations, and good luck to you and your family.  :thumbsup:

I'm older than you and have a 3 year-old son here in the Phils.  I have already procured a British passport for him, as well as a Filipino one. 

I also have a 25 year-old  UK-born son from/with my first Filipina wife, as well as having brought her two children (my stepchildren) to the UK, at a young age.

All the grown children now have degrees from good British universities... and British Citizenship/passports.  :smile:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Mark Berkowitz
Posted
Posted
12 minutes ago, graham59 said:

I have already procured a British passport for him, as well as a Filipino one. 

A Filipino passport for my son too, since without one, he'd be considered to be an overstayed American that owes money to the BI when he gets to leave the Phils with his mom. :smile:  

This is a good heads-up to all expats that get citizenship and passports in their homelands for their children in the Philippines.

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
13 minutes ago, Mark Berkowitz said:

A Filipino passport for my son too, since without one, he'd be considered to be an overstayed American that owes money to the BI

Why mark? he is here in the PI and a Filipino so he does not need a Visa, If he came back on a US passport then maybe but he is still a Filipino

• Hmm thinking 1