PNP Internet Banking (or lack Of)

Snowy79
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, mogo51 said:

Strange Snowy, can't figure that out.

I had all my Filipino contracts with me but they wouldn't accept any. They asked where I'd lived for the last year and could I prove it. I had only my passport with me but explained I had online banking in the UK which will have my address on it. They let me log in using one of their computers and I took a screenshot of my details from it and they printed it out. I never informed my UK bank that I'd sold my house so my old address was still on file. 

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
2 minutes ago, Snowy79 said:

I had online banking in the UK which will have my address on it.They let me log in using one of their computers and I took a screenshot of my details from it and they printed it out. I never informed my UK bank that I'd sold my house so my old address was still on file. 

Geeeze man, That was one hell of a risk for you, having all the necessary information Online.  I Trust you have now sorted that Out :mellow:

Snowy79
Posted
Posted
2 minutes ago, Jack Peterson said:

Geeeze man, That was one hell of a risk for you, having all the necessary information Online.  I Trust you have now sorted that Out :mellow:

It's on a secure online banking website. You need to enter a code along side your user name and password. The code is generated by secure key software on my phone which is provided by the bank. The code is only good for 30 seconds after which the bank changes the algorithm so it's virtually impossible to hack.

I'm pretty certain everyone that has online banking there's a section that lists your personal details.

• Like 2

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
45 minutes ago, sonjack2847 said:

I just hope the ATMs work today

Now if you had a good bank like mine, they would have texted you a week ago to tell you that this is a long weekend and the bank branches are closed on Monday due to National Heroes Day.  They said the ATMs will still be functioning but as many of us have found out in the past, the ATMs empty fast on a long weekend.  But you should (hopefully) be OK today.   I got my cash 2 days ago to be sure :56da64b51da2f_36_1_681:

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
3 minutes ago, Snowy79 said:

I'm pretty certain everyone that has online banking there's a section that lists your personal details.

Just gone into mine and Nope it don't happen here not only that, your screenshot is now on the banks memory, I would just not recover any information on someone else's Computer ever,  Hackers are good and even banks may have them. Just saying

BTW if you had not told the Bank and Others you had sold the House you would have still nen on the Electoral Role, for me a far better way to prove an address. Each to our own BUT.......:571c66d400c8c_1(103): I do hope nothing comes back to bite you in the Backside my friend. The Internet is just not as safe as we would like to think. Every time I open my  'I' Account I am warned of Phishing, In fact, when I was last in Spain I tried to get into my account and was denied without a lot of questions as the System had picked up I was not contacting from my PC and not even in the PI, Now that is a good thing to know. 

As always, wish you well with what you are up too now:thumbsup:

Snowy79
Posted
Posted
2 minutes ago, Jack Peterson said:

Just gone into mine and Nope it don't happen here not only that, your screenshot is now on the banks memory, I would just not recover any information on someone else's Computer ever,  Hackers are good and even banks may have them. Just saying

BTW if you had not told the Bank and Others you had sold the House you would have still nen on the Electoral Role, for me a far better way to prove an address. Each to our own BUT.......:571c66d400c8c_1(103): I do hope nothing comes back to bite you in the Backside my friend. The Internet is just not as safe as we would like to think. Every time I open my  'I' Account I am warned of Phishing, In fact, when I was last in Spain I tried to get into my account and was denied without a lot of questions as the System had picked up I was not contacting from my PC and not even in the PI, Now that is a good thing to know. 

As always, wish you well with what you are up too now:thumbsup:

Here's the software that's provided by my bank. It's a double layer protection which makes it virtually impossible to hack into my account unless someone gets a hold of my phone and the password to use it.  https://www.hsbc.co.uk/1/2/contact-and-support/security-centre/secure-key

To log in online I have to enter my username, 3 random letters from my password which the bank changes every time I log on and a memorable answer. I've then got to log onto my software using a password and the software is linked to my phone and only stored on my phone not a computer. It generates a six digit code which is valid for 30 seconds. Once I've entered all of this and only then can I log onto my bank account. If someone is clever enough to crack all of this then they can get into anyone's account.  

As for my address and the electoral role I had to inform the government I'm living in the Philippines for my pension and also as I'm still liable to be called up to the Armed Forces if the brown stuff hits the fan before I'm 55. The address the bank have for me was set up when I opened my account so they could send me statements etc but as I'm 100% online now they never use it.

• Like 1

Snowy79
Posted
Posted

As a side note I've 2 other online banking accounts and none of them provide double layer security. Just the standard user name, password and memorable answer. I'd never use a public computer to log onto them even though you only get three attempts at guessing the letters before it locks the accounts.

• Like 1

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted

Well the ATM just worked for me so I am happy.I also have three different things I have to do before I can get into my Uk bank online.Customer number 3 random numbers from my pin and 3 random letters or numbers from my password.I think it is quite safe unless I was to write them down and somebody got hold of them but then they would have to know my bank account number as well and possibly the sort code.

• Like 2

Benington
Posted
Posted

Another glitch with the new and improved (?)  PNB online site?

To pay one's electric bill online Meralco require you to add 5 digits, which change every month, to your account number, to make what they call the ATM/Phone reference number. Possible under the old online payment screen. Now not possible 

The customer number shown on PNB does have 5 digits added, but not the ones needed for this month. Do they have a unique set of 5 digits which will work every month? Or is it just a mess up?