coming for 29 days in February. Gameplan?

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
21 minutes ago, earthdome said:

Your 29 days won't be much fun if your debit/credit card doesn't work. Plus, depending on your bank you might get a very bad FX rate and extra fee's for withdrawals with your ATM debit card.

Cash always works and you can find money changers easily, mall like SM can do FX for you or banks

Let me understand. Its best to carry USD 10k or more and get a good rate while some prick steals it and shoots you dead for the privilege? I dont think so but some might like to chance it. In my experience never would I bring a big amount to change as I would rather use an ATM when needed but we all have different ideas. Remember this is just a one month first time trip not an experienced traveler. 

Cash does not always work when an exchange agent rejects your dollars, not quite clean, not current date, not exactly perfect so another issue.

Going back to planning, yes inform your bank and have extra cards obviously  you also do the normal thing which is inform them. You can also get cards from companies like (Travelex) spelling ? to add a back up system. :thumbsup:

• Like 1

earthdome
Posted
Posted
9 minutes ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

Let me understand. Its best to carry USD 10k or more and get a good rate while some prick steals it and shoots you dead for the privilege? I dont think so but some might like to chance it. In my experience never would I bring a big amount to change as I would rather use an ATM when needed but we all have different ideas. Remember this is just a one month first time trip not an experienced traveler. 

Cash does not always work when an exchange agent rejects your dollars, not quite clean, not current date, not exactly perfect so another issue.

Going back to planning, yes inform your bank and have extra cards obviously  you also do the normal thing which is inform them. You can also get cards from companies like (Travelex) spelling ? to add a back up system. :thumbsup:

Each has to make their own choice's on what are the best options. I  didn't say bring 10K cash. I advocate for a mix. Don't rely entirely on either cash, credit or debit. But have the ability to use all three as works best for the situation. Running into a situation while on vacation where you no longer have access to funds to pay for you vacation is not fun. I haven't had that situation but I have had one where my fun was limited because I couldn't withdraw any cash with my card, only credit worked, and I ran out of cash before the vacation ended.

• Like 1

usa32
Posted
Posted

Thanks for the replies. The exchange rates, don't make a difference to me.

I would feel weary of bringing a large amount of cash, to the airport.

Maybe I'll bring 2000 usd in cash, and then talk to my bank, about using the debit card to get more.

• Like 2

GeoffH
Posted
Posted (edited)

I regularly have issues with Australian banks stopping my cards when I use them in the Philippines even though they’ve been informed I’m here so I try to use them as little as possible.

I find it easier to send money to myself using Western Union or World Remit.

I would suggest some cash, some on card and set up a Western Union account in advance.

Edited by GeoffH
  • Like 1

Clermont
Posted
Posted
22 minutes ago, GeoffH said:

I find it easier to send money to myself using Western Union or World Remit.

I do exactly like you, but just of late when I'm still in Oz they want me to verify that it is me by sending a SMS code to my Ph which I have to type into the Worldremit bank approval transaction. Have you run across this problem yet ? 

GeoffH
Posted
Posted
12 minutes ago, Clermont said:

I do exactly like you, but just of late when I'm still in Oz they want me to verify that it is me by sending a SMS code to my Ph which I have to type into the Worldremit bank approval transaction. Have you run across this problem yet ? 

Not exactly that no but I have 2 factor authorization turned on at my Australian bank and I'm required to enter a code from the Bendigo Bank authentification app.

A while back I didn't have to do that so it sounds like they're ramping up their security.

• Like 2

Clermont
Posted
Posted
58 minutes ago, GeoffH said:

Not exactly that no but I have 2 factor authorization turned on at my Australian bank and I'm required to enter a code from the Bendigo Bank authentification app.

A while back I didn't have to do that so it sounds like they're ramping up their security.

Thanks mate, must be a security thing, today after I sent some money over, instead of a SMS code number, they asked a security question which I had already supplied to them. I'll see how it goes as I'll be over there at Crissy, then full time in May, I want it sorted before I come over, thanks. :thumbsup:

• Like 2

hk blues
Posted
Posted
On 9/16/2018 at 11:01 AM, OnMyWay said:

As JGF said, laptop power supplies can take 110-240 input.  It has been that way since forever.

A desktop usually can take both, but there is a switch on the back that you have to flip.

I bought my Dell laptop in the U.S. last year and no issues plugging it in here.

The only thing I'd add is that perhaps there is only no problem as long as you connect with the transformer pack - I'm not sure but if you were to plug directly into the supply and circumvent the transformer you might end up frying the unit. 

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
8 hours ago, hk blues said:

The only thing I'd add is that perhaps there is only no problem as long as you connect with the transformer pack - I'm not sure but if you were to plug directly into the supply and circumvent the transformer you might end up frying the unit. 

I dont think the plugs allow for that. The way I see it is that laptops are designed to be portable and taken world wide by travelers or business people etc so should work anywhere.

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

The way I see it is that laptops are designed to be portable and taken world wide by travelers or business people etc so should work anywhere

Agreed.  The laptops will plug in and charge in all the countries I have been to.  Sometimes I need an adapter to fit the plug hole but that's all.