Old fathers raising a child in the Philippines

Jimmyzr1
Posted
Posted

Mike, where in NorCal are you from? I just moved to the Philippines from Carmichael on the 15th of January.

graham59
Posted
Posted
23 hours ago, Arizona Kid said:

I made sure that my son got a US passport at the embassy in Manila. When I pass he has the option to live here or go to the place where the streets are paved with gold. I'm putting money monthly in a joint account for him and his mom if that's what he wants to do. 

I also made sure my son had his British passport sorted... which he now has, along with his Filipino one.  Some security (and life choices) for his future there, especially  after his old dad keels over. :unsure:

• Like 4

Arizona Kid
Posted
Posted
15 minutes ago, graham59 said:

I also made sure my son had his British passport sorted... which he now has, along with his Filipino one.  Some security (and life choices) for his future there, especially  after his old dad keels over. :unsure:

I could be wrong but if your child was born in the Phills..a Filipino passport is not needed. Passports are only needed for traveling from one country to another.:89:

• Like 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Arizona Kid said:

I could be wrong but if your child was born in the Phills..a Filipino passport is not needed. Passports are only needed for traveling from one country to another.:89:

It is extremely important to get the kid's Filipino passport.  If the kid goes to travel and only has the U.S. passport, he will  be considered a tourist who overstayed!  Look it up!  It happens!

Read the comments on this BI FB post:

https://www.facebook.com/officialbureauofimmigration/posts/press-release-06-august-2014bi-clarifies-policy-on-foreign-nationals-born-in-the/428617980610248/

• Like 2

graham59
Posted
Posted

We got him (our Phils-born son) a Filipino passport first, while we had the seemingly interminable wait for the British one to be processed .... more than a year.

He has dual nationality now. Again... to give him more life choices later. It also means that he can easily travel alone with either parent.

My older son was born in the UK to a Filipina mother.  Got him his British passport when he was 2 months old.

Later, when he was almost 2 years old.... and we were living at that time in the Phils, I procured for him what is known as 'Recognition'... as  Filipino Citizen. That means he can stay as long as he likes whenever he's in the Philippines, AND can use the certificate to apply for a Filipino passport, though he has not bothered to do this, so far. 

• Like 3

nor cal mike
Posted
Posted
9 hours ago, Jimmyzr1 said:

Mike, where in NorCal are you from? I just moved to the Philippines from Carmichael on the 15th of January.

Congrats on your move and you sure picked the right forum to get the info you need to make the transition a smooth one. I live in Laytonville which is north of Ukiah. Please keep us all informed of your new life in the P.I.

• Like 1

nor cal mike
Posted
Posted
12 hours ago, Mark Berkowitz said:

I'm 65 and I'm probably one of the youngest 'old fathers' on this forum.  I have a 2 year old Fil-Am  son who makes me feel like I'm a child again.  I want the best for his future, so I plan on bringing him to the USA.  He's already an American citizen with a US Passport.

Mornin Mark, no age discrimination here, youngsters are welcome in the old dads club. And yes there are certainly wonderful opportunities for both education and employment in the U.S. Your son is quite fortunate because he can study or find a career in either country. This may prove to be a real bonus in the future. I wish you and your family all the best in your move back to the U.S.

• Like 2
  • Love it 1

Mark Berkowitz
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, nor cal mike said:

I wish you and your family all the best in your move back to the U.S.

Thanks Mike, for your kind words and for welcoming me to the old dads club. 

As posted on another topic, I had problems with my wife's IR-1 visa because I overstayed in the Philippines and I was no longer domiciled in the USA.  PERO I've been back in the USA for almost 2 weeks now and I've submitted proof to the US Embassy (Manila) that I am living in the USA... and yesterday they finally approved my wife's visa. :6:

• Like 2
  • Love it 2

nor cal mike
Posted
Posted
5 minutes ago, Mark Berkowitz said:

Thanks Mike, for your kind words and for welcoming me to the old dads club. 

As posted on another topic, I had problems with my wife's IR-1 visa because I overstayed in the Philippines and I was no longer domiciled in the USA.  PERO I've been back in the USA for almost 2 weeks now and I've submitted proof to the US Embassy (Manila) that I am living in the USA... and yesterday they finally approved my wife's visa. :6:

That’s great news and I’m sure you’re thrilled to know you will soon have your family with you. Once again wishing all the best for you and your family in the U.S.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Arizona Kid
Posted
Posted
21 hours ago, OnMyWay said:

It is extremely important to get the kid's Filipino passport.  If the kid goes to travel and only has the U.S. passport, he will  be considered a tourist who overstayed!  Look it up!  It happens!

Read the comments on this BI FB post:

https://www.facebook.com/officialbureauofimmigration/posts/press-release-06-august-2014bi-clarifies-policy-on-foreign-nationals-born-in-the/428617980610248/

Well..I'm wrong for the first time this year.:smile: Thanks for pointing that out. I must have gotten some wrong information somewhere. Will start on the Filipino passport immediately. It pays to be on a good group like this. Thanx again.:wave:

• Like 2