Old fathers raising a child in the Philippines

Gary D
Posted
Posted

I think the DNA comes into play when a mother turns up on her own with an obviously filipino child.

• Like 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, Gary D said:

I think the DNA comes into play when a mother turns up on her own with an obviously filipino child.

I know of quite a few foreigner fathers in our area with kids they say are theirs but the kids don't at all look like they have foreigner blood.  I think the U.S. is more aggressive in confirming paternity in these cases.

• Like 1

graham59
Posted
Posted

DNA test is NOT required for a UK child (born overseas) passport application.

Sometimes the (Brit) father may be interviewed by the UK Passport Office staff, and asked to supply additional evidence of his relationship with the mother and child... as I was, in 2017. 

You may register the birth with the British embassy in Manila, but it costs more than a passport application, so may as well get the child a passport from the off... and at least ensure its birth right.  What if something happens to you ?  

• Like 2

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, graham59 said:

DNA test is NOT required for a UK child (born overseas) passport application.

Sometimes the (Brit) father may be interviewed by the UK Passport Office staff, and asked to supply additional evidence of his relationship with the mother and child... as I was, in 2017. 

It is not required for the U.S. as well, except for when the "additional evidence" you give is not convincing.

I have seen some Filipina mothers at the U.S. Embassy outreach here in Subic go in for information and go away looking disappointed.  I suspect they are not sure who the father is but they want to give it a shot.  If the kid looks a bit foreign, they might have a chance to get started with a claim that an absentee foreigner is the father, but the embassy would say you need a name and a DNA sample from him.  And then the cost of a DNA test is out of reach for most single Filipinas.

• Like 1

hk blues
Posted
Posted
14 hours ago, sonjack2847 said:

I have her original birth certificate.I think we are on cross  purposes as I was told they no longer do it.Maybe they substituted the old method with the online form.When I have finished building I will probably apply for the UK and Philippine passport but as you say I don`t need the hassle at this time.I can fulfill all the requirements they require.The only bugbear I have is that my wife will have to go to Cebu city to do that seminar to get her passport.Do you have a link for registering my daughter online. 

https://www.gov.uk/register-a-birth

Yes, the marriage seminar!  Actually, my wife was supposed to do that but she kicked up such a fuss at the DFA about the waste of time and  money that they relented and issued her with a new passport.  I'm not sure what will happen the next time she comes to renew but we'll cross that bridge when we come to it.   

• Like 1

hk blues
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, graham59 said:

You may register the birth with the British embassy in Manila, but it costs more than a passport application, so may as well get the child a passport from the off... and at least ensure its birth right.  What if something happens to you ?  

As far as I'm aware, the child can apply for a British passport anytime regardless of the father/mother being still alive. 

robert k
Posted
Posted
On 1/28/2019 at 5:11 AM, nor cal mike said:

Been trying to catch up after my absence from the forum and I was sure glad to find this topic. After almost 20 years of planning and procrastination I am finally in the final phase of my permanent move to the P.I. We have spent a few months a year there over the past 15 years. Usually 3 to 4 months at a time. 

I have been married to my wonderful wife for 17 years and we have 2 sons ages 10 years and 17 months. I was happy to read all the comments about education. My 10 year old always attends school while we are there. He has attended both public and private school but I don’t think I can make a fair assessment of educational qualities from those short visits, so having the benefit of others experiences offers a lot of insight which I’m sure will prove helpful. We live in Butuan City and have a couple of highly recommended private schools as well as a very good university. My 10 year old does well in school now and I’m hopeful that will continue in P.I. 

One more thing I will mention for the benefit of all you “old” dads. I am 75 and enjoying raising my boys immensely and would not hesitate to repeat these last 20 years. I would love to hear other “old dad” experiences along with any educational tips or advice.

Mike

I will let you know when I have some.

graham59
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, hk blues said:

As far as I'm aware, the child can apply for a British passport anytime regardless of the father/mother being still alive. 

That's not the point I was making. 

Why leave your child (or widow) having to cope with so much hassle in the future, plus risk changes in the British laws, to your child's disadvantage ? 

I know of at least one young man ( in those circumstances) who had quite a fight on his hands to prove he... a Filipino Citizen was entitled to a British passport, which, though to you or I it might not seem one of the best passports in the world to have, actually IS .

• Like 3

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted
14 hours ago, graham59 said:

Why leave your child (or widow) having to cope with so much hassle in the future, plus risk changes in the British laws, to your child's disadvantage ? 

I know of at least one young man ( in those circumstances) who had quite a fight on his hands to prove he... a Filipino Citizen was entitled to a British passport, which, though to you or I it might not seem one of the best passports in the world to have, actually IS .

I saw an article recently and the UK passport is the 5th or 6th best to have.If you are able you should get your offspring a passport from the home country even if it is never used it might come in handy.

• Like 5

hk blues
Posted
Posted
21 hours ago, graham59 said:

I'm sorry, I just don't see it as a priority for me (or my 6-year old son) at this moment. I'll get around to it if, and when, I think if might be of some value but in the meantime I'll save my cash and time.  He is eligible and will be able to get one whenever he wishes.  OK, laws can change but I seriously doubt the UK government would ever make such a significant change to eligibility that would nullify all children born overseas claim to a passport. 

I'm not doubting the value of the good old British passport but, as i say, It's not on my to-do-list for now.  I have already taken a mental note to apply when he is 16 or 18, whenever an adult passport is available.  

In addition, it's unlikely my son and I will travel anywhere soon without my wife,a  Filipino passport holder, and if we were to travel as family we'd either choose a place no visa was required (63 countries to choose from) or accept we needed a Visa for both my wife and son rather than just my wife.  

• Like 1